Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I don't take the second Hellcannon I have 214 points to burn on Marauders, Dragon Ogres, Trolls, or more Warriors and making 2 smaller units (as both DMed character are going in that unit to make it 7 wide by 5). I just thought if I'm going low model count and trying to Gateway, Purple Sun, Doom and Darkness + Baleful T, Hellcannon et al everything to death, might as well go whole hog.

Sorc Lord; MoT, DiscoT, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm, Infernal Puppet, MotG

BSB; MoK, JoK, AHW, Blasted Standard

Sorc; L2, DaemMnt, ObsiAm, SpellFam, TEoT

Warriors x 27 w/ MoT, Sh, FC, Razor Standard

5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Sh, Throwing axes,

5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Sh, Throwing axes,

Hellcannon

Hellcannon

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No only if they have LA too. thought 6+/6++ for a point each was worth it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm against deathstar units but if you like it that way I'm not going to stop you.

Though it would be a ballsy idea to get Knights instead of the Hellcannons and the Horsemen, but thats once again is just my opinion. Hellcannons are great. Especially the model. :)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
No only if they have LA too. thought 6+/6++ for a point each was worth it.
Well 6+/6++ might be nice... but you get neither. You are mounted which means you get +1AS but also means you cannot parry (only infantry with hw+shield get that). So in actual fact you get a 5+AS with no ward... there really is no difference in their shield to LA unless you want to give them different weapons.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Sybarite: Thanks mate. If i give them BoRage they lose their 5++ in combat, so I might as well give them AHW or Halberds. Would the weapon and standard change be worth it? and if so do I keep the shields and find the 27 point for them?

@ Kothosis: That is a very cool idea, and once I gain more experience I may well try it, but at the mo, I am going to go this route until I feel confident that I could manuevre and use those knights properly.

@T/S: Thanks for pointing that out. Still not au fait with 8th.

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
well its the whole how you want to play,

l am guessing there in a rank of 7?
if they were to vs empire foot man with shields with a rank of 6

How you had them,
22 attacks hits on 3 then wounds on 3 they get a 6+ ward thus you kill about 9 they hit back with 13 hiting on 4 wounding on 5 killing around 0.7 men

the other way with frez and hal
29 attacks hits on 3 wounds on 2 they get a 6+ ward thus they will kill about 15 they hit back with 13 hiting on 4 wounding on 5 killing around 1 men

Halberds are all the rage atm but you to how you like them, also BoRage is cheaper then Razor which almost fills the points for hal (cant post points)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mate. I really need to learn how to mathhammer.

I will try to work out the above combat w/ AHW too, and then the 3 again against Orcs, and then Black Guard. By the end of that I think I will know my preference.

Is there an easy system to follow when doing the maths?

Only I forgot how to multiply fractions many years ago..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dislike the maths side of it... takes all the mystery out of it haha plus its all just theory realistically you could roll a ton of 1's and 2's and your opponent get 5's and 6's all day!

i've seen it happen! I played an ex gf's bretoni once and her skirmished archers charged and killed my chaos giant on the charge without it attacking back!!!!! :eek:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Mathhammer is a good tool, but doesnt tell you what's going to happen, just what is likely/best... there is still plenty of room for mystery especially because you can roll 1-2s or 5-6s all day.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Most points have been brought up, apart from one - Marauder Horsemen are shit.

Best use I've found for them is Flail+MoK - 95pts each, and you get 10 S5 Attacks - more than enough to destroy a War Machine crew or break a flanking skirmish unit. You have I4, and WS4, which is more than a goodly number.

@ Yanos - how exactly do I3 units strike before an ASF Giant?

Swap the BSB for the Razor Banner and give the unit the 5+ Ward versus shooting. You're not going to move the BSB elsewhere, and he still benefits from the rule, while others will have a lesser benefit from the 5+ Ward versus shooting.

If, for example, you take the Razor Banner out, you could put it with a unit of Trolls/AHW Dragon Ogres, and then they'd get 3-4S5 AP attacks apiece. As they have so many wounds (and trolls have Mutant Monstrosity anyway), the 5+ ward save is not so effective. Christ, even drop it in a Hellcannon, and it's got a S5 AP Blast attack - Greatswords (wound on 2's, no armour), and Hammerers (wound on 3's, no armour), and the like are gonna get new holes to breathe with.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts