Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered this on Sunday and it plopped through the door this morning. :good:

It's the same flight mechanics as X-Wing, just flavoured for Star Trek instead. I've rummaged through the starter set and it looks pretty good. The paintjob on the Enterprise-D is a little iffy but I'll fix that up myself. The Romulan and Klingon ships are fine.

One slight difference to X-Wing that I quite like is that when you purchase a ship - which can be upgraded with crew and weapons cards - is that you then purchase a Captain. The Captain can then take upgrades as well.
I knocked up an Enterprise-D with Picard and gang and I quickly racked up over fifty points so you can't really go overboard in a 100pt game.
Not had a game as of yet, but I like the look of it so far :good:

Anybody play this? :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I play it. I`ve played a lot of games and not lost many.

I go it "Idiot's Crusade" style as my buddy calls it; cheap captains; best PhoTorps i can get for all my ships and mass cheaper hulls. In all but one case I have beaten his better ships with better captains and more upgrades.

The key element to the game is field of fire. Everything else is in service to that.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still yet to have a bash at this, as X-Wing is currently my main focus.

Although I do intend to grab a few ships for the three core set factions so myself and Mrs T can get playing. She's a big Trekkie so I figured it's a sneaky way to get her gaming..... :wink:

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts

Although I do intend to grab a few ships for the three core set factions so myself and Mrs T can get playing. She's a big Trekkie so I figured it's a sneaky way to get her gaming..... :wink:
this world lacks good Trek Video and boardgames, its a shame realy xd this could realy be something!

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently one of the captain cards in the USS Reliant pack is KHAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!! :good:

·
Registered
79 Posts

I've wondered about X-Wing; does the Y-Wing's Turreted Ion Cannon's get a full 360 field of fire?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've wondered about X-Wing; does the Y-Wing's Turreted Ion Cannon's get a full 360 field of fire?
Yup. Both the Ion Cannon Turret and the Blaster Turret have a 360 degree fire arc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Played alot X-wing and watched beside table Star trek attack wing too. But mostly interested in D&D attack wing. First it sounded ridicuous idea, but more and more people who have played it and these other games give it high rate aswell. And it got ground troops aswell.

Main problem was that those capital size ships in Star trek attack wing would be dogfighting like those small Star wars ships. Seems little wrong, but otherwise fine game.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup. Both the Ion Cannon Turret and the Blaster Turret have a 360 degree fire arc.
Cool! I am used to seeing that get nerfed in various different games and media.

Played alot X-wing and watched beside table Star trek attack wing too. But mostly interested in D&D attack wing. First it sounded ridicuous idea, but more and more people who have played it and these other games give it high rate aswell. And it got ground troops aswell.

Main problem was that those capital size ships in Star trek attack wing would be dogfighting like those small Star wars ships. Seems little wrong, but otherwise fine game.
Well, not much of a trekker myself, but it always looked to me as if Star Trek ships did fight more that way. The rule of always having to move seems odd to me, but there you go.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beat me to it. Yeah, the 360 arc on an ion turret has been a great help every time I've used it.

Anybody got a breakdown of the gubbins you get with each ship? I fancy getting hold of the original Enterprise and the Reliant to start off my Federation fleet. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beat me to it. Yeah, the 360 arc on an ion turret has been a great help every time I've used it.

Anybody got a breakdown of the gubbins you get with each ship? I fancy getting hold of the original Enterprise and the Reliant to start off my Federation fleet. :)
Well that's the trick in STAW. right out the box, both ships are playable and competitive.

A lot of people are turns off the indifferent moulding, paint jobs and scale issues. I just wanna play so DGAF.

The Reliant even comes with the Wrath of Khan Scenario so there is that too.

One thing which is clever/assholish of WK to do is that every ships comes with some good, some bad and a lot in the middle. The best upgrades in crew, captains and weapons for every ship are in other ship packs. Likewise, you will need the starter pack to play. But it is basically a good (75%) simulation of Trek ship combat.

You also do not need all the perfect crew and captains, especially the big names to be competitive. With the gentle slope in power those two ships will still be reasonably competitive pound for pound in almost any game and right out of the pack.

Now; how I play is basically to go with cheap captains and the best PhoTorps I can get. the better secondary weapons (photon Torpedoes) do A LOT to level the playing field in any game. I've been playing and trouncing my buddy regularly since I started with a Reliant, Excelsior and Nova.

The key factor is to be able to hit the enemy for that you need a wide field of fire. Maneuverability will help this and better weapons help you do more damage.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing which is clever/assholish of WK to do is that every ships comes with some good, some bad and a lot in the middle. The best upgrades in crew, captains and weapons for every ship are in other ship packs.
Sounds like a crafty move lifted from FFG :laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts