Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i'm a happy chappy :grin: found setting on camera for closeups, so without hesitataion, the progress (so far) of my Death Guard.

DG Champion; this was the test model, goop/Nurgly bits are blue tack :( had no GS at the time

1 of 4 Termies; Heavy Flamer WIP

1 of 4 Termies; Icon Bearer

Nurgle Icon

Compulsory Obliterator WIP

Daemon Prince Gorthrax, WIP

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MOAR!!!

Raptors;

and always there to lead any DG army.......TYPHUS!!!

Typhus was my first major conversion and use of GS, but im happy with it atm

and a spare Termie with MoS, because i can :biggrin:

cheers C&C welcomed, appreciated and DEMANDED! :p

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think you're off to a good start. The death guard look great.
Your raptors need a bit of work, the brass colour on them looks flat. You should take just as much time with weapons you would with anything else too.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be the lighting, damn clouds kept coming and going, or the paints, they are ageing and getting a bit thick...though the Raptors, are repainted, Tin Bitz with a watered down Chaos Black wash, GW washes weren't out when i painted them, will look at weapons again as well. cheers.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
really awesome job, i like your work, can i suggest that the, blood could do with a wash, it looks a little to bright, but other than that a+rep

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as i stated in my Ork WIP thread, i plan on purchasing the foundation paints and washes from GW, so i'll be able to do some more stuff with these guys, ie bothering to highlight and adding some washes. thanks for the rep fatmantis.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Go damn more nurgle crap why can't peaple dare to be different, and do more Tsons conversions or slaanesh... that right its because its really hard to do good conversions for those factions compared to death guard.

Ok now that my rants over I would recommend dropping the red elements all together in favor of a light green or a sickly pink since the red really clashes with a otherwise very stunning set of conversions and paint scheme. Not to mention red is the color of Khorn, and is generally not a color you would see on a half dead zombie marine mutated or not.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers valentine, might try and dull the red down to a pink, i'd like it to act as a contrast still though.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PICS!

Typhus got himself pimped!

:biggrin:

I used a wash of Snakebite Leather on the fleshy-red parts of the Death Guard, it dulls the red down, but still keeping some of the red colouring, I'm happy with it.

While sitting there looking at my Oblit,

I decided...really hate that Oblit. head...so i got a new one :eek:k:

I've washed one arm of the Oblit. with Snakebite, and you can already notice the difference.

I was pleased with the...mutation...with the GS on the Oblit. so I grabbed one of my spare LC-ed Termies and made him for Nurgle-y.

enjoy XD

PS; I guess this is almost a Project Log now. so if a friendly mod can move it...Cheers :good:

·
Registered
266 Posts
To be honest I liked the obliterator better without the snakebite wash.
Before the wash it all looked more real and gory and really nurgly.
Now I'm not sure what to think of it.

Then again you did do a good job on al those greens in there, it really stands out.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest I liked the obliterator better without the snakebite wash.
Before the wash it all looked more real and gory and really nurgly.
Now I'm not sure what to think of it.

Then again you did do a good job on al those greens in there, it really stands out.
Cheers Yilmar, yer not to happy about the red anymore, gonna give it some washes and see how it turns out,

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is a venerable dread/ironclad/GS/Chaos Bitz kitbash for my Chaos Dread.

Used Ironclad torso, legs, kneepads, to trry and create a sense of...age? This dread has been serving the Death Guard since the Heresy, ala the cool old style helmet and body cover from ven. dread. Anywho..pics...

cheers, C&C welcome

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heya ladies, gents, kids and abominations,

I currently have exams but next week have more or less a whole week off :so_happy:

Sooo with 7 days off I though it would be nice to get some painting in, so I aim to paint as much of my current projects as possible, to reduce the piles of models. approx. 2 days per army project. So keep a look out cause next week photos should be a coming.

Grish

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An actual update :shok:

I rewrote my Death Guard list, and have decided I will be running a MoN Winged Daemon Prince and Chaos Lord as my HQs. Fluff wise Gorthrax is still hitchhiking with Typhus, however gamewise Typhus is a hefty cost in a 2k list, so I figure the Herald has his own business to tend to, but to keep Gorthrax in check he may send an Envoy with the Prince. Thus the Chaos Lord will be known as 'Envoy of the Herald'.

As of yet the model has not been started though I have a crappy concept pic.

At the moment I'm thinking of mounting the Palanquin on the back of a Spawn, and then integrating the Palanquin into its back. The Spawn it seems failed in his duty to Grandaddy, and thus was Spawn-ified, and is now eternally damned to carry those still loyal to the Grandfather.

The Envoy has an itch, given enough skum is slayed in battle then he may -pop-. Essentially the Envoy will be me Greater Daemon vessel. Now as its a Nurgle themed army, I need a Great Unclean One. But the current GW model is ratshit and not having the cash for FW, i began researching, and found a nice concept.

And I have decided to use the Fantasy Giant as the base, it seems to match up with the concept well.

Grish

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my an update 2 days in a row :shok:

Through getting annoyed at GW prices in Aus i began to have a look around at prices on webstores. Coming across Maelstrom Games I noticed their lovely > £10 = Free WORLDWIDE Shipping and 'will match any price of any UK based webstore' points. I was sold. So between looking at Mael., Wayland, and Dark Sphere, I grabbed the cheapest price, and bought 2 boxes of Plague Marines off Maelstrom, with free shipping at Dark Sphere's low price of £15 (down from £20 RRP).

I also discoverd that it is cheaper for me to spend £40 on 2 FW PM conversion kits than to buy 1 single PM box at Aus GW RRP (essentially in Aus if I pay $60 [£35.80] i get 7 PMs, but if I pay £40 on FW i get enough bitz for 20 PMs, the equivalent of paying > $120 Aus [£71.60])

So I have 14 PMs coming in the mail, and am working on the credit card situation (cunts that FW are not letting me use Paypal :ireful2:) to get the PM conversion sets. But nonetheless I am a very very happy chap. :so_happy:

Grish

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love the FW upgrade kits, got the World Eaters kit a while back off ebay. so i fully support your decision for getting the Plague Marines

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the FW upgrade kits, got the World Eaters kit a while back off ebay. so i fully support your decision for getting the Plague Marines
They do look awesome aye, plus being cheaper than our RRP, seems logical :laugh:

Grish

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Though I wasn't really going to work on my logs during exams, I began to write my little shopping list for my Death Guard. Given I have 14 Marines, a Dread and a few Possessed yearning for my attention and plans in the making I decided to look over my painted and WIP models. Frankly I don't like it. Though happy with the initial test model of the current scheme the required paint:water ratio for some washes are varied and as a result all the models are looking frankly, a bit out of wack. Paired with my loathing of changing my flesh method, I have come to dislike the job I have done on them. Thus before I continue, models need stripping and a new scheme created.

So I trotted down stairs and whipped up two test models (kind of).

Both models are undercoated black.

First model has a base coat of Catachan Green, followed by a Babad Black wash, then a coat of Knarloc Green foundation (leaving some space out from the trim edge), trim and rivets in Mithril Silver, then a final wash of Delvan Mud.

The second model was a base coat of Knarloc Green foundation, followed by a Delvan Mud Wash, trim and rivets in Mithril Silver, a Babad Black was over armour, trim and rivets, then once dry a Delvan Mud wash on trim and rivets.

Personally I am more inclined towards the second model, with highlight on armour most likely to be in Catachan Green with a Delvan Mud chaser too tie it in.

C&C is much appreciated as it's fairly important for the direction of the army at this time.

Grish

1 - 20 of 55 Posts