Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

WiP Khornate Doombull from Ogre Tyrant

3K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Firewolf 
#1 ·
I'm converting an Ogre Kingdoms army into a Khornate Doombull army from heck. The theme is, obviously, a tainted/blessed tribe of Ogres and their Tyrant. Currently, I'm working on the Doombull himself, as he will provide the theme for the Minotaurs (all 20 of them). I'm worried that the army will still look too much like an OK army, so I give these images up for your perusal and critique. There are still a few adjustments needed, that I'm aware of at least, but please list any problem areas you see, as well as any recommendations for the rest of the army. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Fuckin A! I love it and no it does not look too much like an OK model to me Hes. I do want to know what head that is and where I can get it however.

#5 ·
Think it would be big enough for a Bloodthirster?

#7 ·
Damn :p

#8 ·
A few changes have been made. It may be hard to tell from the pics, and I'm sorry for their poor quality. The maul has undergone a bit of embellishment, to include a tufted skull on one end and a spiked skull on the other. Also, an imperfection on the back of the shield was hidden by another ornamental skull. I plan on making the shield look truly daemonic. Also, most of the rear of the model's base has been filled in so that the rock formation might look more realistic.

Oh, and any comments on the paint work thus far would be appreciated. This is my first 'red' army, and my first attempt at such things as flames and using greenstuff for more than joint filler.

#10 ·
Beasts -

Doombull - MoK, Heavy Armor, Shield, Weapon of Ignor Armor Saves (I hate Bretonnia)

2x 4 Minos - MoK, Great Weapons
3x 3 Minos - MoK, Great Weaopns
1x 3 Minos - MoK, Extra Hand Weapons (5 attacks each aint too bad)

2x 8 Warhounds
1x 5 Furies

2x Dragon Ogre Shaggoth - Light Armor, Great Weapon

2250pts, 2CP/8DP, no magic or shooting at all.

Its a list in progress, and has only played one game thus far, and against an inexperienced player at that (I'm pretty mediocre at WHFB myself).

#14 ·
The flaming hair is top notch mate, no doubt. For the skin however, I would go with another small highlight on some of the very edges, just to make it pop.

#15 ·
Here’s just a bit more of work for my Khornate Ogres from Heck. A bit more painting, as well as a bit more conversion on the DOOMbull. He now has hooves, as per popular demand, and has been remounted on a 40mm base in an effort to prevent squabbles during gameplay.

The other big nasty is my Shaggoth. He has all the speed, ferocity and resilience of a Chaos Giant, without the ‘duh, what to do now?’ mindset. He has his little daemonic friend to help him out. Reminds me of those cartoons where the scrappy little dog has all the big plans, while the big bulldog provides the muscle. To this extent, I gave them matching hats. A right couple of forest gangsta’s, aren’t they? ((Man! I really dislike these ‘new’ Giant models, but I got this one, and another, in a trade. Had to do something with them… ))

#17 ·
Hey dude great work I am really loving the Shaggoth, his familer is so evil looking. And the hammer rocks.

The Orge looks cool but I think it would even better if you keep the palet quiet dirty and dark. Like all the fur being dark brown or black as to me the light fur kinda dulls down the red and orange. Or you could make the pants black. But hey that s just me.

#19 ·
Thanks, guys.

The Guardian is there just as a size reference.

Actually, the 'Shaggoth' is quite a bit bigger than even a standard Giant.

The paintwork on the DOOMbull is no where near complete. I'm still in the process of figuring out just which colors would best suit him. I want to go for earthy tones in the equipment/clothing, but would still like to stick with the red/black theme for the actual body parts. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It has to be finished within the next 17 days...

#20 ·
Once again this may just be me but I rekon if you keep everything quite dark and dirty the red and the orange will stand out a shit load more. With the armour as it is the red gets merged into the bronze and kinda lost and the eyes go straight to the lighter colors because of it.

In the 2nd set of pics you put up the red really stood out and looked ncrediably intense due to the blackness of the rest of the model.

Another idea for the theme of the army is that it could be deamons that use the BOC list as when ever I see the head I just imediatly think deamon legion. Just a thought that popped into my head.

#21 ·
If I was to make the armor black, how would I highlight/detail it? I agree with your statements, and was also concerned that the 'pop' of the flesh was really drowning in the neutral colors on the rest of the model.

I'm willing to repaint all of the armor to get the right look. Should I think of 'enameled' armor?

#22 ·
If you go with the demon idea or maybe saying the Tribe is blessed by Khorne in a big way the enameled idea could look amazing - kinda like Archaon armour. You could also highlight the armour with red if you go with the enameled idea, that would really look good, if you pull it off.

As for just highlighting normal black I find that using one of the dull greys (like Codex Grey and just running it along the edges of the armour plating and the tips of any spikes works a treat, its understated but still gives the black depth. Probably wouldn't look to good with enamaled though.

Out of those two ideas I would go enamaled, if it works it will look stunning. Keep us updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.