Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone that paid any attention to the modelling forum on Dakkadakka should be well acquainted with this.

But still, i want as much opinion as i can get on this, so here i'll post all my GK conversions, of which there are going to be many.

It's well known that i dont like GWs powerArmoured Grey Knights, so i'm making my own...

my first is a tank commander:

this is my first PA GK on foot:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4013/pc180179qa7.jpg[/img

This is my damocles (is the commander too big for it?):
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5605/pc220229vq3.jpg

and here is the first (of 4) ST rhino commander:

there should be some more in a mo, just charging my camera batteries.

but still, C&C always most welcome...

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only stuff i have painted are some of my STs and a few WIP GK termies, and two WIP rhinos. i'll post that in a PIP blog on the painting thread in a mo

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jezlad said:
All GW tanks are too small in comparison to their gunners I think but the commander looks fine to me. What made you think he was too big?
he looks enormous compared to that piddling radar... i'll see what the FW tank commander looks like...

more updates! made this ST tank comm a few minutes ago...

My second PAGK

·
Banned
801 Posts
Well, the facemask is icky. You'd be better off GS csting the facemask, particularly as you seem to be about to use a lot of them.

Then, the cape. The cape. I've yet to see a sculpted cape that looks as natural as the standard I'd put on my miniatures, and that with a dozen or so studies and countless articles behind me. I can't stand the blanketcap. Personally, since he's plastic, I think you'd've been better off getting the Caped Marine Torso.

Also, since you've obviously gotten some Forgeworld stuff, why not get the much better GK Tank Commander from there at the same time?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which facemask? all of them? I'm pretty happy with all of them, its just a little addition to make them look Grek Knighty...

blanket cape? what is wrong with it? too thick? i cant afford to order specific parts. i have to work with vanilla marines and GS.

i have 3 GK tanks (or will do) so require 3 GK tank commanders (at least) so i dont want any being the same. i have picked up a FW GK tank commander to go with my pre-heresy LR.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Also your GS skills don't improve if you dont start somewhere and think, i know i'll buy forgeworld. Sometimes you look at a model and think, That needs a cape, or some purity seals or whatever. Rather than go out a buy the specific parts that would make the model the best it possibly could, you work with what you have.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats basically it. this is my first project that has involved any GSing above gap filling, and i'm really enjoying it. just saw a thread over at Work In Progress about Emperors Champions that gave me the idea of using bretonnian knight heads on marines. i'll prob do a squad of those (pictures of WIPs tomorrow). so much for my on the shelf bret army...

·
Banned
801 Posts
I have, in all my years, seen three capes that actually looked like they weren't a blanket from players who weren't professional Kneadatite sculptors. They are notoriously hard to make. However, for a few tips, make the cape much much thinner, fold it and fold it NATURALLY, and if you can do it, follow this tutorial for flowing capes.

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/CH08_04MoF_003_B.html

It's the only flowing cape tutorial I've seen that isn't crap, and given that the professionals won't give out their secrets because there are none, its the best I can find.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm not really going for the windblown look, it's just meant to hang, which i think it does quite nicely. capes are afterall... hanging blankets.

that cape in the tutorial looks ridiculous...

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is a shit pic, took it quickly to show the WIP before i finish him...

i really like him so far, the bret head works really well

·
Registered
383 Posts
torealis said:
i'm not really going for the windblown look, it's just meant to hang, which i think it does quite nicely. capes are afterall... hanging blankets.

that cape in the tutorial looks ridiculous...
I wouldn't say ridiculous but it is a bit on the long side. Still the concept is sound for instructional purposes.

Regarding your cape I think it's fine, although it's too rounded at the bottom. If you're brave because of the length you might get away with ruthlessly cutting it to straighten it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like how it's turning out and I love the facemasks you've done. They are a bit rough, but i think once painted they're going to look sharp. Nice conversion work so far, Demonhunters really lends itself to great converting.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ebay.

and thanks, i think i'm getting better with time. give me a few and i should get a pick of my latest up.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i feel like a moron. just made a nice cloak for my new justicar, and put superglue on it to harden it quickly, then touched it a bit to move something, ended up sticking it to my thumb and pulling it way out of shape. both thumbs.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is my completed Justicar for my second GK PA squad, theyll all have bret heads.

I know you've seen this uy now, but he's got a cloak now, to be park of the cloak squad.

And here's the model i'm most proud of (with the worst cloak though). He's the Justicar of the cloak squad.

C&C is welcome, though it must be said that i am happy wiht the cloaks. looking at the pictures, i think that bret head dude needs something on his body, i'll prob add some dangly bits.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks good. You could add those little shoulder breast shields you get in Terminator packs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts