Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I painted the fella above with the intention of basing a army of smurfs around him and well have only just got round to thinking of it again. This is the first WIP thread I ever done, It's not usually my style. Though I'm hoping it will keep me on track and keep my inspired by tracking my progress. My goal is to a paint a decent standard army that I can game with hence I chose marines simply because it means less painting than some horde army that I would never finish :)
I hoping of having quite a shooty army with elite units ( again to keep the figure count down for my own sake) So I am planning on having a couple of units of sternguard and termies. Haven't played in a while and was looking at stormtalons are they worth the points? or does anyone have any recommendations for playable vehicles?

Anyway Whipped my paint brush out and made some progress on these.
What can I say I just like edge highlighting space marines and not much else :) But yeah aiming for the super contrasted highlights as while they may look a little over the top I know they will still pop in a dim games hall.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
so far, so good. certainly not an usual sight. more like Dark eldar way of painting, but we'll see when they are done :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Bit more progress on these. Just finishing up the red on the weapons. I always had a job painting red so I am quite pleased with the results. Finally found a recipe that is quick, easy to apply and provides decent results. For anyone interested heres the recipe:

Basecoat : Liche Purple
Layer: Blood Red
Shade: 1:1 Blood Red & Liche Purple
Highlight: Blazing Orange
Highlight: Vomit Brown
Light Points: Skull White

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe.. I always enjoy doing odd little freehand like script but worry once I start I won't stop and will put to much time into each figure. At that rate I will never finish them :)
First two of my sternguard squad done! others are all about there just need to touch up and photo. Yay!
Quite pleased with how these look from a distance as the result is what I intended "a bold eye catching army" rather than a highly detailed fully time consuming blended approach.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I do agree with the shading on the bases, I did start doing shading on one but i'm a little lazy :)

Finished with these guys for now. Might come back to them and add some more freehand to the shoulders and cloth but for now they can hit the table ready for battle! My initial thought is that the general looks way to blue to match the regular troops so will probably glaze him black a little to tie them together more while keeping the lights alive. Think next I fancy doing a vehicle? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts