Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of doing a Steampunk paint scheme for my Necrons, but I have not dealt with painting a lot, and my previous gold/black/green scheme was awful, so I was wondering if I could get some help.

My current plan is to do a black primer, Hashnut Copper base coat all over, then keeping main bodies Copper with another layer, but painting armor plates and/or some joints Gehenna's Gold, and then using Auric Armor Gold for details. Moot Green would still be used in wires and cords to match the color of the plastic rods in the guns.

Would this plan yield bright, shiny metallic results with a Steampunk feel?

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Sounds ok.

You might find using a copper matching base coat in between the Black Primer and Copper will make the process easier. I always used to use Snakebite Leather under Gold or Vermin Fur under Copper.

With the new paints ( which I have not really started using yet) this might no longer be needed but I I found it helped give the metallics a better coverage and would give a pleasing lowlight effect.

The only real way to tell if you scheme is a goer will of course be to try a test mini, but as I said it sounds like a nice Steampunk sort of palette.

Look forward to seeing your test mini.

·
Registered
165 Posts
sounds like a good plan, but rather than using solid colour you could use lighter colours and dull them down using multiple layer of washes. for instance on an old trukk I painted some time ago I painted the engine block bolt gun metal and highlighted with mithril silver. I then washed about 5 Times with Baal red and badab black. after adding some verdigris is I got a really nice worn looking feel to the engine. I suppose it depends on how much painting time you get. but it's always good to have another option even if it just turns out to be an experiment

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might find using a copper matching base coat in between the Black Primer and Copper will make the process easier. I always used to use Snakebite Leather under Gold or Vermin Fur under Copper.

With the new paints ( which I have not really started using yet) this might no longer be needed but I I found it helped give the metallics a better coverage and would give a pleasing lowlight effect.
Thanks very much for the suggestions, this idea sounds great as I had been toying with some kind of basing color, but I did not know which color would look good under metallics.

sounds like a good plan, but rather than using solid colour you could use lighter colours and dull them down using multiple layer of washes. for instance on an old trukk I painted some time ago I painted the engine block bolt gun metal and highlighted with mithril silver. I then washed about 5 Times with Baal red and badab black. after adding some verdigris is I got a really nice worn looking feel to the engine. I suppose it depends on how much painting time you get. but it's always good to have another option even if it just turns out to be an experiment
Now this is a process with which I am less familiar. You're saying this will achieve a worn look? I think I'm going for a fresh, just made look to them, not the ancient and decaying look I see so often. However, if it would add character so the metal and make it look more natural I would be more than happy to try it. Would you recommend similar colors to wash the coppers and whatnot?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Take a look at Army Painter; you might want to consider getting a brown coloured primer from them.

http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=2

Fur brown or leather brown might both work nicely. I've heard loads of great things about their inks too; they're like Games Workshop shades, but much better. I'd advise priming brown, a layer of copper, some wires and stuff with a silver colour, detail then Strong Tone all over and perhaps Dark Tone on the silver.

You can get the inks in dropper bottles instead of in the big dipping tubs.
http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=8#Soft Tone Ink

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, so you suggest even a brown primer over a black one? Will that help bring out truer browner tones of the copper and bronze colors?

As for the tones, I have never dealt with those before, but I'll see if I can find a tutorial somewhere or talk to the guys at my games shop and see what they recommend, but the tones accent the colors right? Adding shading and depth but just washing with it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts