Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>> I have noticed lately that when anyone posts a C:SM list from the new dex, if it has a strong "god" theme, people automatically say "use 1000 sons, use Noiseys, etc etc." All I want to know is WHY?? Cant people play lists without having a cult unit in their army. Im not slating anyone, I just want to know peoples reasons. Cheers, and please dont hate me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Hrm...not sure i think its because that people are just assuming really, they automatically make asumptions about CSM lists or that cult squads should be used over just marked CSM, personally i like using plain CSM marked, i dont doubt the usefulness of cult troops, i use them too, but not in massive quantities thats just me though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
I for one am now using cult units whereas before i didn't (was Night Lords) my own reason is that previously i chose Night Lords because gamewise i wanted as many raptors as i could get my filthy little mits on.

whereas now, there is no advantage to staying as Night Lords, and since i hadn't really got them painted, and since i had always wanted to include the cults in some way, i have decided to change to a renegade chapter that has taken on all the aspects of chaos. so once i get my sisters sorted and i begin properly with the chaos again, you will probably see my army change between the gods from time to time as i am going to do 1 company for each of the 4 powers and an undivided company as well.

so although a lot have jumped aboard hoping to find the uber-list, i am changing to embrace Chaos in all its evil glory!
 

·
Porn King!!!
Joined
·
8,137 Posts
Partly that and partly because on the who the cult troops are VERY good at what they do. Tson squads are the meq killers from hell, Noise Marines are every hordes worst nightmare and fast to boot, etc. That is not to say there is anything wrong with taking non cult troops however as they are just as viable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
I ain't using a single cult unit in my force the only mark i got is from Tzeentch because of my Dark Apostle, my force is aimed at chaos undivided at its most purest :p

(PS What you think of my new sig and portrait :p)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
well....slaneesh has deamons with boobs, what other chaos entity can say that? thats the best reason for a slaneesh army.
 

·
Powered by Squig Tea
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
:lol: I used to play Alpha Legion in the last dex so I have decided to get a strong mark theme in this new army for the new dex. ( Noise Marines, boobs n all.)

I think that most just assume that the cult troops are the main reason to take any particular mark of chaos as your theme FW, along the lines of 'whats the point of taking Slaanesh if your not going to have sonic weaponry.' So thats the first question that gets asked is where the noise marines etc.

Bit like playing Dark Angels and not taking Deathwing or Ravenwing. :wink:
 

·
Executive Nitpicker
Joined
·
8,276 Posts
Firewolf, what you're saying is kind of like saying "Why do I see SM lists with assault squads and veteran units? What's wrong with tactical marines?!"

Cult units are good, strong, specialized units with a fair price. If you want an indestructible fireteam to hold an objective, take some plague marines (they can also have 2 special weapons in a small squad). You want survivable anti-meq footsloggers, grab some sons. You want a killer mobile firebase, go for noiseys. You want some nasty mounted assault, get zerks.

Meanwhile, if you want a versitile, low-cost, unspecialized unit take some CSMs.

There's no reason not to take cult units these days. They're good specialists and the fluff has changed so that the original legions are broken and hired out as mercs, or so independent sorcerers can replicate their methods.

For better or worse, cult units are now just specialist squads that anyone can take. No reason to only work out of a fraction of your codex unless your personal fluff dictates it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I just started a chaos army and no nothing from the old codex. I am going to use cult armies but for the reason I just finished reading the Horus Heresy and think the DG TSONS and Noise Marines are pretty cool and they are pretty tough.Orks are my main army but I am waiting for the new codex and I won't use any certain tribe. I am going to make them complety original.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
Its a matter of perspective tbh, i prefer to think of cult troops as members of the legion who still hold worlds within the eye of terror/maelstrom and not casually joining forces with other followers of a different god. I would consider maybe one unit of cult troops in my CSM army but only if i figured some creative fluff for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>> So why not do 1000 Sons or Empereors Children? What I'm saying is that not everyone wants cult troops, therefor, dont include them in lists, but people still insist that cults should be taken. Not every Slanneshi is a Noisey, not every Tzeentchy is 1000 Son.


>. Your Sig and portrait rather foonky Words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts
I'm not sure, the only way i see it is that people don't want to be basic bog standards emperors children etc because they think fluff wise they ain't true members of the legion or followers of the god. Its like Blood Angels not having the Black rage, merely saying they are blood angels doesn't make them true blood angels. Its like why i picked Word Bearers, i dislike cult troops and Word Bearers who worship chaos as a whole is the perfect legion with good back ground.
 

·
Powered by Squig Tea
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
firewolf said:
>> So why not do 1000 Sons or Emperors Children? What I'm saying is that not everyone wants cult troops, therefor, dont include them in lists, but people still insist that cults should be taken. Not every Slanneshi is a Noisey, not every Tzeentchy is 1000 Son.


>. Your Sig and portrait rather foonky Words.

I would do an all EC force if I could Firewolf but the rules dont let you do that now really.( man would I love to have Noise Marine Havocs again.)

Your point is very valid though, the problem that people are having is the fact that they see Nurgle and expect Deathguard, realise that there isn't any and the first thing they say is ' where are the Deathguard? You can't have a proper nurgle army without Deathguard.'

To some peeps the only reason to have a army dedicated to a particular power is the funky troop type that makes available. But the new CSM Codex seems to be getting people to abandon the old Legions and encouraging new traitor Chapters.

I think you will find it will happen less as everybody gets used to the new dex and seeing people do other chapters that follow one God of Chaos or another without being the original Legion of that God or using the rules for them. :)
 

·
Executive Nitpicker
Joined
·
8,276 Posts
While not all Nurgle are Plague Marines, not all Plague Marines are Deathguard.
Not all Berzerkers are World Eaters.
Not all Noise Marines are Emperor's Children.

And these days, not all WEs are Zerks, not all DG are Plaguies, and not all EC are Noise Marines.

1k Sons are 1k Sons, sure. But they've mostly become isolated sorcerers with their rubric bodyguards.

And the legions have been broken. The fluff (and the new books) say that mercenary units of the old cult legions are not uncommon.

Whether or not it's what you remember or what you like, it is how both the rules *and* the fluff work now. No point in going on a rant about people using thr book how it was meant to be used. New players don't need pissed off vets questioning their playstyle just because they're using the book the way it's written.

Sorry for that. I've just gotten a bit defensive on the subject since my last trip to the B&C chaos boards saw me being flamed and attacked for trying to suggest how to use cult units in previously undivided armies.
 

·
Executive Nitpicker
Joined
·
8,276 Posts
Bolter and Chainsword a few weeks back, burried by now. One thread I made was literally dismantled and shoved into a generic 'post here to flame the new codex' type thread. Worst bit was, there was a mod posting in the threads, agreeing wiht the trolls and ignoring the attacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
>> Thank you for yer replies gents. I can appreciate what you are all saying, even Gal in his pissed off state. :D . As was stated in original post, only interested. Cheers

>> I was'nt trying to come across a a 'pissed off vet' Gal. :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top