Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all.

Why should we respect a corpse ?
Why should we care about the desires of a person who does not exist anymore ? Why should we honor last wills and such.
Why do we have to sign a donnor card for it to be legal to give our organs when we die? Why are we considered owners of our body after our death? How can someone who no longer exist still have rights ? Or possession?

Why should we care about corpses ? Why do we give burials or cremation ? would it not be more practical to just dump the carcass in the woods or donate it to an University or whatever ?

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Damn I was hoping no one would reply to this, obviously, inflammatory statement- a quiet desire to see the thread fade into obscurity...

bugger me posting this is fairly counter-productive, ah well.
:giggle: lol Baron, you're too tense. :p grab a beer and loosen up! :wild:

CP

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Out of respect and love for what and who they were when they were alive..simple as that.
This is all that needs to be said. There are many obvious answers to all of those questions, but it all boils down to this.

I do think the donor process should be reversed though, and you have to opt out of giving your organs away.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
As hobo said out of love and respect, but if that the way you feel jack, when you pop your clogs, i send you body to the local dog food factory, despite any protests your loved ones may have

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
For the same reason we respect someone's car, or their garden, or their pet dog. It is something that they (the friends and family, not the dead person - duh) have an emotional and psychological attachment to.

Why should we care about the desires of a person who does not exist anymore ? Why should we honor last wills and such.
Neatness. How would you work out who gets what after the person dies if we didn't have the "Will" system? Can you imagine the legal battles over the tea set that would occur?

Why do we have to sign a donnor card for it to be legal to give our organs when we die? Why are we considered owners of our body after our death? How can someone who no longer exist still have rights ? Or possession?
See answer 1. When you run over someone's cat, you don't pick it off the road and remark "Mmmm, good eating on one of these. Mind if I take it back to the missus?".

Well, maybe you do, but I don't. :p (joking)

Why should we care about corpses ? Why do we give burials or cremation ? would it not be more practical to just dump the carcass in the woods or donate it to an University or whatever ?
See answer 2. Neatness. You have to have an officially sanctioned method of body disposal, otherwise you run into legal matters, biological contaminants, causes of death, exhumation of bodies to solve crimes, etc etc etc.

Also, society is generally based, however loosely, on religion. And religion generally has a pretty strong view about death.

·
Registered
736 Posts
there are a number of fairly logical reasons why we respect dead bodies (for instance it is illeagle for soldiers to desecrate the body of an enemy, because its deeply insulting to the living enemies and their ideologies, which is counter productive to seeking lastig peace). however, the majority of reasons are, as other people have pointed out, more emotional, than logical. humans are more than just matter. a dead body is less than a living one. and as such people require time and ways of saying good bye to that which they've lost. funerals and showing respect to the body are ways of doing that, and honoring the memories of those who have died.

well, that rather depends on what those wishes are (but the same is true of the living). assuming that the wishes are morally disgusting or anything, then the reasons to follow them are pretty much the same as the above question.

as an added bonus, if the dead person is arbiter over what happens to their body and possessions, then there are fewer arguments during a very stressful time of loss.

this is quite a complex question. but the simple answer is, yes, a dead person can own something.

the reason this is true is because there will always be a time between the person dying and other people inheriting their possessions (or debts). and as organ donation will almost always happen in that time period, no one else has specific rights over the body.

and more to the point, organ donation cards are a good thing, because they prevent people from preventing organ donation. if doctors were simply to remove body parts, then they would be left open to acussations of theft from next of kin, who come into ownership of the body, and didn't want parts removed.

why do we give burials or cremation ? would it not be more practical to just dump the carcass in the woods or donate it to an University or whatever ?
no, it really won't. bodies rot and create and awful mess. historically having too much contact with dead bodies has been one major factors in the spread of diseases. burying them deep in the ground or burning them eliminates such problems of contact. the ceremonies we hold around them are simply ways of saying good-bye.

it always makes sense to question tradition, howver, more often than not there is a reason why the tradition endures. it is usually the easies and simplist system that people have found to deal with a situation. that is certainly true with funerals and marriages.

and how many bodies do you thing scientist need?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
You just wait for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse™ , and then you'll understand why corpses command respect.

http://www.trueghosttales.com/

How can someone who no longer exists still be taxed? and yet, the Gov't has no trouble charging your family GST for a casket, burial plot..etc..

A serious answer: different people believe different things. Some hold to the belief that a body is nothing but a meat suit to hold a person's essence/soul/lifespark/whatever, and once they leave this world/universe/realm of existence/whatever, the body is meaningless - to them, its a little silly to spend so much effort on a body.

But others do not espouse such ideas; perhaps they believe that mortal life is all there is, and the body is the remains of someone they cared about. You could just as easily ask yourself what is the point in taking a photograph? Is it not a physical representation of a dead memory?

This is what I get for being bored at lunch....

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Because they don't say no! :spiteful:
Fuck i almost died by choking when i read this.. Still giggling now

As for the original post, logically there is no argument for respecting the dead, we should really just take a lesson from the tyranids and nom nom nom

Leg of grandpa anyone?

However unfortunately emotion and conscience often gives logic a sharp slap.
Plus most cultures are based loosely upon a religious background almost all of which fix upon form of afterlife. Thus culturally we have an idea of dead people watching us and deserving respect, even if we may not believe imthe concept of an afterlife.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I think, from a symbolic point of view, it would actually make more sense to eat the deceased. Think about it : now, a piece of grandpa will always be with you!

We could throw big party, rejoice that us, we are still alive, rejoice that the deceased had a full life, rejoice that we still have each others and good lifes to fill. Stuff like that.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Well, I lost my grandad recently, and I can't help but respect him for all the good he has done for people. He was such a nice man, and in some cases, better than my own father, but thats not entirely the answer to your question. I think that people only respect a corpse that is worth respecting, you don't see people crowding round some hobos grave do you? If you've got people who care enough about you, then they respect you.
Why should we care about the desires of a person who does not exist anymore ?
Because they had wishes that they had an agreement on before their death, if they wish their dog to inherit their entire estate, then so be it. Just as long as the person wanted it done whilst they were alive and it is all down in their will and testament.
Why do we have to sign a donnor card for it to be legal to give our organs when we die?
Because again, it could be apart of your will that you want to be buried completely or cremated. I don't believe that you should be forced to give your organs away, I just think that you need to allow them to be given away.
How can someone who no longer exist still have rights ? Or possession?
Because they made their last will before they died. Again, because they cared about people who were close to them.
Why do we give burials or cremation ? would it not be more practical to just dump the carcass in the woods or donate it to an University or whatever?
Because it comes down to just having somwhere to go, having somwhere to go to respect that person.

All comes down to respect at the end of the day...

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Hey, I think, from a symbolic point of view, it would actually make more sense to eat the deceased. Think about it : now, a piece of grandpa will always be with you!

We could throw big party, rejoice that us, we are still alive, rejoice that the deceased had a full life, rejoice that we still have each others and good lifes to fill. Stuff like that.
With overpopulation heading in its current direction, I estimate thirty years before this becomes a reality.

Of course by then, my murderous rampage may have been put to a bloody end, but unfortunately I don`t think I will have made a big enough dent to stem overpopulation on my own... Damn military types, protecting the innocent, such bullshit...

(jk:biggrin:)

·
Registered
736 Posts

in some cultures this is the norm. though it is only really practiced in stone age tribes in the jungles of South America and Papua New Guinea.

it seems that such activities are not popular amongst larger, more advanced culture. partly because people don't really have the stomach for it, and partly because it generally devolves into encouraging murder, which has a horrendous effect of the advancement of culture.

more to the point, we don't eat animals that have died of natural causes for good reason; if they are sick, we don't want that diseased passed on to us, and if they are old, they are likely to be tough, lacking in fat and generally very unpleasant to eat. farmers will only send animals that are just coming into their prime for slaughter. so if we were to eat humans, we'd want to be eating people in their late teens and early 20's.

a concept that is rather less attractive.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Also the fact that eating members of your own species is a bad plan.

I point you in the direction of Mad Cow Disease and the fact that the aforementioned Cannibal tribes have much higher instances of brain damaging illnesses and genetic abnormalities than any other cultures, ever.

Humans are not biologically designed to eat humans. Yet somehow we eat Doner meat. Hmm. I guess wood shavings and horse meat isn't that bad for us.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts