Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious, why is one religion more 'true' than another? Why does it have to be the only option and all others are wrong?

For myself personally they are all equally correct/ incorrect. My personal belief is that humans have created these deities. There has been documented instances of mass human reactions interacting with our environment on a higher level. I feel that this collective energy is what has created and fueled pretty much every religion out there. When my connection allows I will fig up the experiment/ article I am referencing and post it here. Phone connection is being wonky tonight.

So your thoughts? If you believe your faith is more correct or true than another why?

Edit: http://www.damninteresting.com/random-event-generators-predict-the-future/ link to what I was talking about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Because they have to be in the right one. Otherwise they would be in the wrong one. So they start with the conclusion they are in the right one, and everyone else is in the wrong one.

you can see this often enough amongst christians, as some groups will call other groups "not true christians"

You'd think since most of the big 3 all say their god is the same god, they'd all want to follow the latest and greatest from their god. so they should all be Muslims, or Mormons.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Mine is correct. It does not require worship, doesn't demand money from its members and doesn't have any false incentives for its few moral guidelines. Many follow it without even realizing they do, again making it right because it requires no membership qualification.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does all of that make your choice any more valid than others Serp?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better question, do you feel those that don't follow your beliefs are wrong/lesser/need to be converted. Or do you allow for their beliefs and leave them be? Is being less valid to you mean they need to change?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Better question, do you feel those that don't follow your beliefs are wrong/lesser/need to be converted. Or do you allow for their beliefs and leave them be? Is being less valid to you mean they need to change?
No to all. We don't require that all agree with us. Nor do we expect it. We do however mock them for it. :taunt:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Technically no religion is 'the right one'. All of todays mainstream religions evolved out of older, earlier Pagan religions. Hell, even the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God evolved out of the earlier Caananite god El. And yes, those are the same God as all three religions have a shared belief route.

But anyway.. point being... Before the mainstream religions there was the Egyptian belief system, and even earlier the Pagan worship of the 'mother nature figure'.

Really if any religion is 'the right one', it'll be one of the pagan ones as these existed for millennia before the mainstream ones of today.

But really the whole 'Its right because its what I believe' argument seems to be the only point people ever seem to use for arguing that there religion is 'the right one'. They don't use facts, or history, or any solid evidence of the truth of it... It all just boils down to belief and how that belief has been courrupted down the years by man to fit his purposes.

Take Islam... that says both suicide and murder make you a non-muslim and you will go to hell in the Qu'ran... yet, you still have members of it preaching Ji'had and becoming suicide bombers because its what they believe, even when its plainly written as fact that they are wrong.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I don't have an issue with any religion. What you choose to believe as an anchor for your life's compass does not bother me in the slightest. I have an issue with religion when it starts to impinge on the quality of life of your fellow man. I was Christian, but lost interest many years ago. There are certain guidelines enshrined within the basis of that religion that are worthwhile. Anti killing, adultery, theft etc. All good. When the religion then becomes the basis for attacking other people of a different belief, that is where I get off. Honestly though, they all need to be happy with their own, not push it on those that don't want it, and understand that other people might believe differently. Christianity fucked up in the dark ages, the muslim religion is doing the same now, there are even piece loving bhuddists that are killing in Burma. Religion can be very helpful to people, but it can be really fucked up too.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I don't think there truly is an all-encompassing "right" religion, but as was mentioned before, the three main religions--Christian, Jewish and Islamic--all follow the same belief route, and I'm certain they're all worshipping the same God.

And to save us all some time:

Why does all of that make your choice any more valid than others?
It doesn't. Its the right religion for me, and that's all that matters.

Better question, do you feel those that don't follow your beliefs are wrong/lesser/need to be converted.
Hell no. See above.

Or do you allow for their beliefs and leave them be?
As long as they don't hurt other people because of their beliefs, I don't really care.

I have an issue with religion when it starts to impinge on the quality of life of your fellow man.
This

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
As youtuber AmazingAtheist puts it, religions take their views and try to make the world make sense in relation to those views, rather than taking the world and basing views off of them. Most religions don't make much sense if you start with the facts, and so most people don't recognize any validity in other religions. As there is very little (sorry to all you believers).

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've kinda done something that the legionaries did when they travelled. "Genus Loci" It means 'spirit of this place' and pays tribute to whatever god or gods was supposed to be present at the time and place, even if the legionaries didn't know what to call said god or gods. I belive that there is a powerful being(s) which created the universe, to me its the only thing that makes sense. But to what extent that being/beings influences the world, in what manner it exists and presents, how powerful he/she/it/they is, how much interest he/she/it/they takes in human or any other potential life in the universe we have yet to discover or even whether or not he/she/it is sentient is beyond my knowledge.

I know this is right, because, barring aethism (which I cannot comprehend, to me it seems simply impossible), it is the only thing that can possibly make sense

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the main reason I started this thread is because I have a hard time understanding why someone has to follow your religion if you view it as the correct one. I just don't get the whole converting the masses thing. The cynic in me just views it as a money/power grab by the churches.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I know this is right,
This is the main problem I have with religion, the claim that somehow you can know when clearly no one can.

You can hope you are right, you can wish you are right, you might even pray you are right but you cannot possibly know.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You can hope you are right, you can wish you are right, you might even pray you are right but you cannot possibly know.
Then there are those who have had some sort of near death experience or have actually died and claimed to have been in heaven for a short time. Even then, who knows whether or not they're lying out of there ass or not. Or perhaps they had some sort of vision or something, in which case its bound to be interpreted differently by different people, but they turn around and say "I know for a fact that this is what it means, you're interpretation is wrong (bible, anyone)"

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
My faith is the right one for me because it is supported by personal experience. I have experienced events that are indistinguishable from the Divine and prayers answered.

As my faith falls into the soft folkish category I do not believe it is right for everyone.

As I am not trying to convert anyone I am happy for people to call my experiences perceptual error and coincidence if it makes them happier.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
My faith is the right one for me because it is supported by personal experience. I have experienced events that are indistinguishable from the Divine and prayers answered.

As my faith falls into the soft folkish category I do not believe it is right for everyone.

As I am not trying to convert anyone I am happy for people to call my experiences perceptual error and coincidence if it makes them happier.
Do you ever take the time to be objective about your beliefs?

I'm not being critical, I spent well over a decade as a Satanist, my beliefs developed as my understanding increased until I found myself with a faith (of sorts) that was very personal to me. It wasn't until I actually sat down and looked at the things that I had, until then, held up as personal truths about what I believed that I began to question the validity of those beliefs.

Could what I had experienced be explained without the need for some form of divinity, was there a logical explanation?

So far everything I have looked at could be explained in one way or another, and for me at least I found that trying to maintain a belief system that was at odds with the facts was self defeating.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
Do you ever take the time to be objective about your beliefs?
After training as a lawyer I spent many years arguing cases in court, so I think two things about beliefs: (1) the product of I think... and What if I am wrong? is always stronger than just I think..., and (2) it is almost impossible to be totally objective about matters of personal interest. So I definitely examine my own beliefs for flaws but do not regard that examination as being perfect.

While Occam's Razor is a good way of picking a hypothesis, it does not disprove other explanations, so I do not reject a belief because it can be explained in other ways. But I similarly allow others to believe my experiences are not the result of Divinity if they wish.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but just my 2p's worth:

I don't follow a religion as such...to me, it's more of a philosophy. It's one which doesn't disallow the concept of religion, nor any specific religion.
Also - as far as I can tell- a huge part of it is that you don't force anything on anyone.
As such, I might tell people that "I am trying to follow [x]'", but I don't talk about it unless people ask me about it (I'm still learning so I don't have all the answers yet myself anyway).
In terms of "Why is this path right for me?": I realised one day that I had always been on this path anyway, I just didn't comprehend it until then.

In terms of my own religious experiences, I guess they're pretty narrow in that I was atheist for a while, then C of E, then had a couple of flirts with Paganism.
However, the ones where I have seen people be really "conversion-heavy" (and pretty much "This is the way, everyone else is wrong!" are 2 of the newer ones.

I don't know whether this is just a question of "we need money, people = money"?
Or if they had (or have) a mindset of "We need more people in our religion, so the religion has to say 'you have to go out and get more people/have more children/etc' "?
(Of course, this might also be tied to the financial angle, too).

I haven't had anyone from the C of E or Paganism accost me and tell me that they're right & everyone else is wrong (or some such).
However (apart from the 2 religions who accused me of various things and spouted complete rubbish at me), I've not got any experiences of any other religions where other people have joined them by choice instead of stuff like "I was born into it/my family follows it/etc", so I'm probably not a very good person to comment there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts