Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think in the experience of many of us, religious debate = a building inevitability of flame war the further you get into it. Maybe that's my speculation. It just seems to me everywhere I go - where any form of religious debate is started - it always ends this way.

I think this is my point of asking the question. [Controversial other topic] isn't allowed on Heresy for these reasons. I'm only speculating that religious debate does exactly the same. With this mode of thinking, why does Heresy allow religious debate?

Hope I'm within forum bounds here.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I think it's a "Either way you loose scenario" to be perfectly honest with you. There are 2 scenarioes and either way the moderators can loose:

Scenario A: Religious topics are allowed
Threads are made, and discussions go ahead. Threads usually end up in fighting as people can't agree and religion (like politics) usually have very passionate people writing about it. Eventually the trolls arrive, or people are angered, and it all goes tits up.

Scenario B: Religious topics are not allowed
People will get angered that they are not allowed to talk about such a big part of their lives, and the moderators gets the blame. Discussions will arise where it is discussed whether or not it is a risky topic, as people are allowed to talk about nearly every other part of their lives.

I can understand it's allowed and don't care either way. I'm neither very interested in religion or politics for that matter. But I can understand why it is allowed, as it's such a explosive topic and it means a greta deal to alot of people.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
If you check the rules:

Nobody is to talk about the fucking Nazis! Seriously...it never ends well. We're not an historical or political forum by nature. We talk about little plastic space men. We don't care if you have a perfectly valid reason for modeling your IG commander after Hitler, or think it's clever social commentary to paint little red armbands on your brown-shirted space marines. We don't want to hear about it. No thread involving Nazis, in the history of the internet, has gone unflamed. Unneeded drama does not belong on our boards.

The World News and Current Events and Endgame forums are, as in most cases, an exception...but goose-step cautiously, the mods watch things a lot closer there and carry much heavier sticks.
The bit I've highlighted in bold actually states that you may discuss the unmentionable in the correct forum, just be very careful about how you go about it and don't expect to be around for too long should you go about things the wrong way.

If you bring the subject up elsewhere, Modelling and Painting for example, its a no no, there's no excuse for it and all you're doing is making yourself look a dick. Yes there are comparisons to be drawn between 40K and many of histories more despotic regimes, you'd have to be blind not to see them, but some subjects are too touchy to be raised while discussing plastic space men.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha! If you were looking for "Likewise great Dane" then you didn't get shafted by Google Translate xD

/Bows
Precisely what I wanted to get across. :)

If you check the rules:

The bit I've highlighted in bold actually states that you may discuss the unmentionable in the correct forum, just be very careful about how you go about it and don't expect to be around for too long should you go about things the wrong way.

If you bring the subject up elsewhere, Modelling and Painting for example, its a no no, there's no excuse for it and all you're doing is making yourself look a dick. Yes there are comparisons to be drawn between 40K and many of histories more despotic regimes, you'd have to be blind not to see them, but some subjects are too touchy to be raised while discussing plastic space men.
So... I'm good? I only wanted to bring in up in respect to my point. I think it's been answered quite adequately. This may well be a thread on religious debate that won't go on for a million posts. :victory:

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I like to think we manage to discuss "the big ones" in a comparatively calm manner on Heresy.
It gets heated sometimes for sure but no overly so.

The rules forum contains more acrimony than world news some days.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like to think we manage to discuss "the big ones" in a comparatively calm manner on Heresy.
It gets heated sometimes for sure but no overly so.

The rules forum contains more acrimony than world news some days.
Maybe I'm just thinking of YouTube and the Mount & Blade forums. I think this speaks for the intellectualism of Heresy. Maybe this requires some form of orbital almost-server-wide +rep.

And, come to think of it, the only flame war (or close to) I've seen on here was over a female space marine thread.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The flame wars happen but they get modded before they blow the whole place apart. The worse offenders usually get tempbanned/permabanned.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Maybe I'm just thinking of YouTube and the Mount & Blade forums. I think this speaks for the intellectualism of Heresy. Maybe this requires some form of orbital almost-server-wide +rep.

And, come to think of it, the only flame war (or close to) I've seen on here was over a female space marine thread.
Honestly I just don't think there aren't that many in here who give a toss about such things.

Space Marine chicks however .......

·
Registered
199 Posts

Speaking as an occasionally belligerent, pig headed person, I've yet to find many on Heresy who can't put forward a point in a coherent manner that adds to a discussion.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
That's just messing with what shouldn't be messed with. Hate on religious and political views all you want, but don't you DARE fuck with Warhammer Canon!
Don't you oppress me!

·
The Curmudgeon
646 Posts
Aha, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
He's only being oppressed, if he was being repressed, that would be another matter entirely.

And now for something completely different...

Because it tastes like Heresy, bitches... and Heresy is good...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My opinion on said debates are as follows, I don't care. As an Atheist who frankly doesn't give two shits how you live so long as it doesn't negatively affect me I could care less what people argue about. If people feel like proclaiming one side is superior to the other, fine. I won't get involved, because I know where I stand on the matter. I don't feel the need to continually stroke my ego to feel good about myself or the decisions I've made in my life, which is how I feel many of these arguments play out. As for whether they should be allowed on the forum or not, of course they should. It's just another form of debate, usually as ill-conceived as say, explaining why Mat Ward is a terrible human being. If it weren't allowed on here then I'd say it's pretty damn likely we'd hear complaints saying just that. If you don't like the contents of a thread, don't click it. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
We want to treat members like adults and not children, so we have space for us to talk about contentious topics.

The whole trusting people to productively disagree instead of expecting everyone to agree with an inner cabal is one of the reasons I clicked with Heresy and not other boards.

·
Registered
992 Posts
We want to treat members like adults and not children, so we have space for us to talk about contentious topics.

The whole trusting people to productively disagree instead of expecting everyone to agree with an inner cabal is one of the reasons I clicked with Heresy and not other boards.
Well said, pretty much the reason I spend more time actually posting here instead of just lurking like I do at several other well known 40k boards.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts