Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can understand why they wouldn't work with Chaos Undivided. (It is normal for Marines who worship other gods to fight each other.) But why don't they work in tandem with, say, the Emperor's Children? They both worship Slaanesh?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The Dark Eldar do not worship Slaanesh. They despise Slaanesh and Chaos.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Yep Child of the Emperor is right, Dark Eldar hate Slaanesh just as much as the rest of the Eldar, they just have different ways of dealing with it. Where as Eldar use spirit stones to guard against Slaanesh consuming their souls the DE use other people. They torture their victims and give their souls to Slaanesh instead of their own.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The common Eldar name for Slaanesh is She Who Thirsts, because Slaanesh is feeding off the souls of the race who created him/her/it, the Eldar. The Craftworld Eldar wear soulstones, which protects their souls and when they die, contains their soul, preventing Slaanesh from completely devouring their soul. The Dark Eldar don't have soulstones, so they spend most of their time in the Webway, where Slaanesh's grip over their souls is at its weakest. In addition, they feed off the souls of other beings to stave off Slaanesh.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh. I thought that they were Dark Eldar by choice: that they enjoyed their lifestyle.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Oh. I thought that they were Dark Eldar by choice: that they enjoyed their lifestyle.
In a sense that is right, the Dark Eldar are the descendents of the decadent and excessive Eldar of the Ancient Empire. Thus they are continuing the way of life their ancestors laid down. Unlike the Exodites who fled to the edges of the Galaxy a long time before the Fall, and the Craftworld Eldar who also fled prior to the Fall - both factions renouncing the way of life of the mainstream Eldar of the Empire.

But now, for the Dark Eldar their lifestyle has become a sort of necessity. They need to enslave and devour the souls of others to stave off Slaanesh.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Not worshipping Slaanesh doesn't mean they don't enjoy what they do, after all it's very important to take pride in your work!

The Dark Eldar are pretty much what the whole Eldar race was like before the fall, not exactly but you get the idea. when Slaanesh was born they escaped into the webway and avoided a lot of the fall out so they were able to carry on being the twisted little buggers they loved being, it also turned out that by being twisted they could stave off the predations of Slaanesh.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Dark Eldar enjoy what they do but thats because they are raised in the Dark City of Commorragh, if you dont enjoy it then you wont last long. They fear Slaanesh and the eternal torment that awaits them upon death, so they consume souls to stave off that death.

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
I can understand why they wouldn't work with Chaos Undivided. (It is normal for Marines who worship other gods to fight each other.) But why don't they work in tandem with, say, the Emperor's Children? They both worship Slaanesh?
It's weird how easy that is to assume, as I too were one of those people who thought the dark eldar worshipped Slaanesh.

I know better now, but don't worry about it, it's an easy mistake.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Soul Drinkers third novel shows Dark Eldar who directly turn to the worship of Slannesh going as far as summoning Slannesh Daemons, enlisting Space Marine Renegades (followers of Khorn no less), as well as Sorcerors/Cultist of Slannesh who were under their control. The Archon of the Kabal directly summon Slannesh presence to the world to try and turn it into a Daemon World and hopefully keep her thirst at bay for their souls. It painted DE fully embracing their destroyer.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
actually I give the guy credit. The DE Fluff shows they have to soul steal to ethier keep off the predations of Slannesh or to fufill their own needs. He made a story of a Archon tired of being under Vect and trying to get by on his soul collecting, decided that sacrificing a world to Slannesh and fully indorse Slannesh hunger with the souls of SMs, IG, and millions of cultist, plus his own Eldar would give him Slannesh Favore. Even if hes usaully Slannesh favorite dish. I the end he failed in his quest. Slannesh ate his soul as a result.

I think Ben did a exellent job in that story. Why cant some delusional DE ever try to appease their destroyer? Its no different then a CSM worshipping Khorn. He eats your soul in the end, why not try to make him happy like SO MANY followers do. Goes for any Chaos God.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I got same impression when reading the book. The Dark Eldar seemed to be using the situation to their own advantage rather than actually worshipping Slaanesh.
The DE sacrifice souls to Slaanesh all the time, why not do it a planet wide scale?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I got same impression when reading the book. The Dark Eldar seemed to be using the situation to their own advantage rather than actually worshipping Slaanesh.
The DE sacrifice souls to Slaanesh all the time, why not do it a planet wide scale?
Exactly. However the Archon was very clear Slannesh was his obsession. He acted like he was going to marry her..err, him... it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For beings who claim to hate Slannesh, they sure spend a lot of time empowering him through torture, general sadism, and the glee they exhibit in doing those things. It's somewhat of a contradiction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts