Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm reading the SM codex getting ready to build a SM army when I realized that scouts can't take flamers. Of all the units you'd think they'd have the most use for them, but they do not. What gives?

Ork kommandos can take two of them but Space Marines can't do it?

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
doesnt really fit the space marine way of war, for a scout unit. For orks its all well and good to sneak in and set some stuff on fire. But space marines want demo charges, and sniping enemy leaders

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I don't see why not either to be honest. Sneaking upon stuff and setting it on fire is a universal amusement and can be effective no matter the Species of the scout.
The Scout Sergeant can have a Combi Flamer, if thats any help :)

SGMAlice

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Because the editores said no.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
scouts should have flamers, especially salamander scouts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
well they are snipers so... a flamer just does not fit their style... I mean HB at range 36' and snipers at 36' a flamer... just does not make a whole lot of sense.
for salamanders it does.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Maybe its an oversight?.. or an intentional choice for some inscrutable reason.
Salamanders don't have it because they use the 'Nilla SM codex. If they had their own then i can see Flame Spam being taken to extensive lengths.

SGMAlice

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I think its an oversight to be honest. Maybe when the SM codex was written it wasnt appreciated how useful flamers were going to be in 5th edition. Having a unit with a flamer jumping out of a land speeder would be an excellent use of troops if I had the room to fit them in my army.

And SGMAlice why are you posting so early on here? Its way to early in the morning

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
becuase a unit with bewteen 2 and 10 flamers with BS3 would make the emperor cry.
Wehn i run my scouts i run them wiuth CCW's and pistols with the sergeant having a combi-flamer and power sword(or fist if i can afford it) and then bung them all in a Storm with HF. The flaming goodness destroys almost all trys of infantry. You scout move, then move 12" unload, flame them with the flamers and assault. Most of the time you will kill them and thye storm will distract himn from the rest of your army

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Wow... Never realised that... Its kind of stuppid, as I always tought that they could... I believe that they might just have forgotten it... But they work well in DOW...

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
why don't they get plasma guns?
why don't they get meltaguns?
why don't they get lascannons?
why don't they get demo charge launchers?
why don't they have portable battle cannons?

the simple reason is....because they don't, live with it, you want scouts with flamers go play Dawn of Wank instead of trying to come up with stupid reasons as to why they should get them.

the whole idea of stealthy scouts, that should remain undetected till there ready to spring the trap walking around with an object that has a constant pilot light giving away there position is the most pathetic idea I can imagine.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
if they are scouts shouldn't they just rub some sticks together?
Or zippo lighter and a can of deoderant ...... not that I ever did such a thing when I was a scout :shok:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
well im a bastard. my scouts are BS WS 4 and they get all the nice toys

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
The reason they don't have flamers is explained in the book really. Space Marine Scouts aren't front line troops, they're observe and report style scouts who let the Tacticals do the face punching whilst providing sniper cover. Flamers are not stealthy weapons so there's no reason they would carry them.

I think the more pertinent question is why the hell do they carry Heavy Bolters along with their sniper rifles.

Aramoro

·
Registered
225 Posts
the whole idea of stealthy scouts, that should remain undetected till there ready to spring the trap walking around with an object that has a constant pilot light giving away there position is the most pathetic idea I can imagine.
Also, firing a large jet of super bright light isn't going to help eather. Altho a colorless flame for a pilot light would work.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts