Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through all the sprues I have collected over the years the thought came to me 'why dont Games Workshop have some sort of system where you can recycle these old bits of plastic?'

So why don't they do it? It would help them financially as plastics are increasing in price it seems and they could also then have the boast about using recycled plastics. It would also free some of my space up.

Or do they allready do it but just don't talk about it?

Also anyone kow what I can do with the old bits of sprue I have? Taken all the actuall parts off them and now I'm reluctant to just throw them away.

Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Gw dont see the point in recycling, to them its just another way to up their already overpriced plastics range. They wouldnt actually benefit from it in any sort of way unless they started charging for the service.

You could always make some terrain and use the sprues for rubble, chop it into small pieces and pile it up to represent rubble in a city or some other building.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I actually wondered this myself and sent them an email to the effect some time ago... I never got a reply.

I worked out that the left over sprue plastic from a tactical squad weighed nearly the same as the actual models, so in effect, you could make a second squad out of it.

I mean... all they'd have to do is have a collection bin at the stores, which is picked up when they make a delivery since the delivery truck has to go back to the depot eventually anyway... then melting down the plastic to remould is much cheaper and less energy consuming and greener then making new plastic.. plus, it most countries they'd get tax rebates etc for green measures... Its realy stupid they don't do it as it would save them alot of money on raw resources.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Because they have not a lot to gain by recycling, you can only recyle the plastic into crappy things like rulers, and general stationary. The plastic itself is recyclable, but I don't think it would be worth much to GW. Basically, you won't be able to melt it down, and make more models, it basically doesn't work like that. I think its something to do with the chemicals and all that, they basically become less and less "pure" as it gets recycled, thats why bottles can't be recycled into more bottles...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
For reasons of chemistry to complex to explain polystyrene is damned hard to recycle. The best that can normally be done is adding it to some other thermosoftening plastic and making something out of the mixture.

It also uses more energy (that is, burned oil) to recycle than it would save in raw materials.

Sorry.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Im very sceptical about the whole recycling methods used in my country, several documentary's and countless pages of news stories in recent years have damaged my desire to recycle, it came to a serious head last year when we saved loads of paper and card and such and bagged it up for a "special" post christmas recycle collection which was widely advertised in my area, only fo my wife who was driving to work very early on collection day to witness the collectors chucking all the card and paper people had seperated in to the normal bin wagon with the normal rubbish destined for land fill, begged the question what was the point?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
GW recall all their out of date models from stockists when they replace a range so there's a good possibility that these get recyled otherwise they'd lose money on them.
I doubt they'd call for a plastic sprue amnesty though as most would expect something in return which would probably cost them more than they would save by recycling the old sprues.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i dont know, sending your unwanted plastic by mail to a company who will melt it down and sell it back to you feels very wrong.
As discussed above, you can't turn sprues into more models, the plastic is degraded too much in the recycling process. Its like how when you recycle computer paper, it comes out as newspaper or toilet paper, definitely not the same thing.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
As discussed above, you can't turn sprues into more models, the plastic is degraded too much in the recycling process. Its like how when you recycle computer paper, it comes out as newspaper or toilet paper, definitely not the same thing.
They do actually say on that site that they are using the plastic to make models with. It's likely they are adding it to more plastic though, as Azezel said, and using this as a selling gimmick.

Im very sceptical about the whole recycling methods used in my country,
Whereabouts are you? Our recycling service is pretty good, and by the end of this year they are finally collecting card and plastic curbside as well. (the stuff we usually have a decent amount of)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
begged the question what was the point?
Digression: 'begging the question' doesn't mean what you think it means.

On topic: It feels good.

No, seriously, people like recycling - it feels good, gives them a glow. Far more often than you might imagine, that's about all the good it does (It's often actively harmful for the environment) - but making people feel good is actually a good thing. People should feel good. There's little enough in life that can give people the sense that they're doing the right thing so let 'em have this one.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
They do actually say on that site that they are using the plastic to make models with. It's likely they are adding it to more plastic though, as Azezel said, and using this as a selling gimmick.
Oh, missed that part. Ah well, I'm not using my mountains of sprues, if they can get something out of them and save a bit of the planet, that doesn't sound too terrible to me.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

Whereabouts are you? Our recycling service is pretty good, and by the end of this year they are finally collecting card and plastic curbside as well. (the stuff we usually have a decent amount of)
its not the service i have issue with its whats done with the materials i send for recycling, alot of it is getting land filled anyway, or been shipped to India and other third world countries who will also land fill it but they charge our local authorities for the privilege, so to help the environment we put unnecessary packing into the recycling bin which is picked up in a truck, taken to a depo and compacted and bundled, driven to the docks and whacked on to a cargo ship and sailed around the world were it ends up in a hole in the ground and my council tax pays some indian official for the privilege, later on a industrious local scavenges through your recycled papers and finds a discarded credit card statement....... well you know the rest

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Depends if im using its true definition or the less accepted but common modern usage,which i was
Yeah, but I'm a pedantic sod...

Anyway - the bit about shipping stuff to India to be buried is pretty much on the money. In fact, it's not even the worst of the anti-green recycling out there.

There's a reason why the environmental battle cry has always been 'Reduce, Reuse, Recycle' in that order.

It's up to GW to reduce - to look at every new mould they plan and find away to pare away at the amount of wasted plastic. As for reusing, behold the Spruecrons! That guy is the greenest 40k player of them all.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
its not the service i have issue with its whats done with the materials i send for recycling, alot of it is getting land filled anyway, or been shipped to India and other third world countries who will also land fill it but they charge our local authorities for the privilege, so to help the environment we put unnecessary packing into the recycling bin which is picked up in a truck, taken to a depo and compacted and bundled, driven to the docks and whacked on to a cargo ship and sailed around the world were it ends up in a hole in the ground and my council tax pays some indian official for the privilege, later on a industrious local scavenges through your recycled papers and finds a discarded credit card statement....... well you know the rest
Well i like to think it's being recycled responsibly, i try to stop myself being cynical as i don't know the truth so there is some chance it's being done properly....

Most of the documentaries i've seen with 'recycled' waste being shipped off to india & africa has been from industrial wastage. It's really sickening stuff to watch, especially the kids who make their living scavenging electronics from our old crap. The companies who are setting themselves up as 'charities' now and 'recycling' unwanted clothes are pretty messed up as well.

Spruecons are genius, this is definitely the way forward.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts