Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has puzzled me for a while. Why are SM scouts always painted with white trousers ect?? Surely "Infiltrate" and "Moves through Cover" are clues that perhaps a more subtle colour would be better.
Maybe its just me but snipers unless shooting polar bears, should be in green, grey, brown or any damn colour but not white.
Could be I'm up too late and its the pinot griglio talking!!!!!
Going to paint mine in camo colours anyway.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Not all space marine scouts wear white.. its just typically how their painted as it is a pretty standard colour.

That said, it doesn't really matter as they usually wear their camo cloaks over it which blends them into their enviroments.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Nuts to the codex astartes in this case. I painted my SM scouts' trouser's black because it fits with the overall color scheme of the chapter. White would just make it look weird

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Also keep in mind that as far as colours go in regards to infiltration tactics, white is a good all around choice. With white, you can mess it up in any environment and then when it is cleaned, you can do so again for the next one without the need for an entirely new set.

This is important because while clothes are not much of an issue, fewer pairs means less wait and space used, which means you have more space and the ability to take other things.

But as others above me have said, white is also a standard use for the tenth company in any codex adherent chapter. (Those being the vast majority and all.)

Gonna be in a desert environment, messing your pants up with dirt and sand to capture that colour is all you need; and in that case the white can help because it will blend in with the lighter colours. Infiltrating a bombed out city, dust, dirt, and grime can be used alongside the white to make for good camo. Gonna be in a swamp or forest, mud and dirt.

White is easy to mess up, and in some cases works well in blending with some colours.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Like with the Cadian 'whiteshield' youth army white = noob colours :biggrin:

Also what he said about making it dirty

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tau stealthsuits can also go invisible. So I don't really believe that color comes into effect here. :biggrin:

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
isn't the white just there dress clothes?, I'm sure the codex has pictures of scouts in proper camo, I can't check myself since my codex fell apart and is now in the bin

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The scout biker with astartes grenade launcher on page 118 has desert camo fatigues. all other marine scouts on the page are white fatigues

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
You can paint them what ever colour you want, and to be fair if you were going to paint any of the models in the 40k range in a suitable battlefield colour white would be far more likely than ultramarine blue or blood angel orange.Seems pointless to me to paint the trousers in camo if the rest of you is covered in bright blue armour. White works pretty well across the board as a good secondary colour, and is traditionally the colour of youth or "virgins" so makes sense.
though things are much better these days than in the 90s, 40k and warhammer back then was like some technicolour teletubbie nightmare,although i still get the impression the eldar army has never quite recovered from that era, the orks and marine armies have been toned down but the eldar stayed the same.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Bearing in mind, you are an Ultramarines player, so you're mainly looking at Ultramarines models. Look at the other models and you'll see it's far from just white.

The difference is that the main two Ultramarines colours are blue and white. Hence the white. Other chapters have other colours.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I'm guessing it's because very few GW folks were ever in the armed forces. Unless you're in the snow, wearing white is stupid.

But when you look across the board... 40K suggests a military theme without getting too bogged down with reality. I think it's part of what makes the game fun.

How the hell could a vet miss the side of a Land Raider with his Meltagun when it's right in front of him... Rhinos would throw track constantly (too little clearance - mud with kill you) But we try not to think about that kind of thing lest it ruin our game... So, scouts wear white...

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Or as has been said before, it could be because white can be messed up and works with many camo patterns. If you have white fatigues, then all you have to do is mark it up or mess it up with whatever is around you; good for any setting.

Desert camo is great for the desert, but then sucks in an urban setting. Jungle camo doesn't work so well in the desert; night camo kinda stands out in the day. With white, your in the desert you mess it up with the dust/dirt and rocks and you blend in, with an urban setting with the soot or dirt and you blend in, with the wild mess it up with dirt, dew, vegetation, and mud and your good to go.

White may be used because it can be used in a number of settings with no real problem.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
40k is basically a Sci-fi version of Napoleonic era warfare (just look at how units are categorised and the general game play).

Everyone wears bright colours so you can easily see who to shoot and who not to shoot. In 40,000 years time they almost certainly won't use simple camouflage and instead use active/adaptive optical camouflage as we know it today, so the actual colour matters very little. Being able to hide from scanning equipment will be far more important than just hoping to not be seen by an enemy's naked eyes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Eh, I understand the fact that some camos will look awkward against the wrong kind of table, but I don't understand painting the actual guys white. Sure, it's their company color, but it never makes sense on the battlefield. They could hypothetically smear themselves with all sorts of things best left to the imagination, but the little plastic guys you have will still be painted white. If you're going to be imagining the colors of them, why not leave them gray?

I think it's best to go with a dull brown or gray scheme, as it should look decent on most tables.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Eh, I understand the fact that some camos will look awkward against the wrong kind of table, but I don't understand painting the actual guys white. Sure, it's their company color, but it never makes sense on the battlefield. They could hypothetically smear themselves with all sorts of things best left to the imagination, but the little plastic guys you have will still be painted white. If you're going to be imagining the colors of them, why not leave them gray?

I think it's best to go with a dull brown or gray scheme, as it should look decent on most tables.
It's been said before, I'll say it again: Stop looking for logic in a game where 8-feet tall superhumans with 2 hearts, 3 lungs, 2 stomachs, and modified brains, each wearing the equivalent of a tank, who have guns that shoot .75 caliber rocket propelled grenades decide to fly across the Galaxy at faster-than-light speeds to fight each other with swords.

When it comes right down to it, this is a tabletop game with overpriced miniatures. The important thing is colour co-ordination - not realism. :biggrin:

Of course, if your army looks alright in those colours or if you just prefer it that way, by all means go ahead and paint it like that. I however will stick to my Ultramarines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts