Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got wondering about some of the rules and game settings and general weapons load outs on characters etc... and I was wondering if, at least fluff wise, there was any reason that you couldn't do some of them?

Edit: I know theres rules that say you can't do them. I was just wondering why not in theory you couldn't?

For instance:

If Dreadnaughts are the experienced voices of wisdom that they are... Why aren't there any Dreadnaught force comanders?

Since Terminator armor is capable of carrying massive loads... why can't you equip a power weapon such as a force sword or thunder hammer... and a heavy weapon such as an assault cannon?

Why can't a small tank like a Rhino, take side weapon sponsons?

Why, if there is the technology, can't they give a large tank like a land raider, a sheild?

If technology is so advanced, why can't they replicate the old 'forgotten' technolgies by taking them appart to reverse engineer them?

If anyone else has any questions like this, feel free to post them here.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
If Dreadnaughts are the experienced voices of wisdom that they are... Why aren't there any Dreadnaught force comanders?
because apart from space wolves most chapters would probably prefer someone a little more living
Since Terminator armor is capable of carrying massive loads... why can't you equip a power weapon such as a force sword or thunder hammer... and a heavy weapon such as an assault cannon?
game balance most likely, if you wanna believe there is any, space wolves might be able to, I'm not too sure
because then the passengers can't get out, and it would reduce the transport capacity and they already have razorbacks
Why, if there is the technology, can't they give a large tank like a land raider, a sheild?
shield generators are massive things, only titans and bigger have enough room to hold them and still have enough room for generators for weapons and ammunition
If technology is so advanced, why can't they replicate the old 'forgotten' technolgies by taking them appart to reverse engineer them?
superstition and the stupidity of the imperium and mankind in general, they don't wanna go messing with stupid machine spirits

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

There are. just not as in game units, theres a story in the codex where a dread led the ultrasmurfs against necrons, theres Bjorn and others. Dreads are slower than living people so can't think fast and react as well as a living commander

Since Terminator armor is capable of carrying massive loads... why can't you equip a power weapon such as a force sword or thunder hammer... and a heavy weapon such as an assault cannon

You can equip them with a assault cannon and power fist. Others are simply not allowed because of the codex astartes. Again wolves flaunt these rules alot and look at chaos marines.

Side weapons sponsons are actually a bad thing on a tank. But the Rhino cant take them as there would be no room for passengers given more weapons, and the need for ammo storage. Same reason modern apcs don't have large guns.

Human void shield gens are HUGE, not like the small portable devices used by tau and eldar. The tank would never move.

Because they may not be able to put it back together again! Technology is sacred in 40k taking it apart and poking about would be a form of desecration to such holy objects.
Any others feel free to ask

·
Registered
328 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think with larger weapons strength isn't the issue, but size is. The large size of certain weapons makes them very difficult to balance properly even if you have the strength to do some. A big ass sword would either require a space marine to utilize both hands, or to grow a couple of feet.

It's forbidden. To the Imperium tampering with old technology is tampering with holy relics.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My answer is doctrine :so_happy:

That's just how they have been doing things for thousands and thousands of years and their just not that big on change or see no need for it. They might come up with some variations or recover a lost technology that seems new to them; but they will never really make any real change in what they do unless they are in dire need and even then its a slim chance that its gonna happen.

So yeah its doctrine, oh and superstition plays a huge part as well.:eek:k:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ok, I've always wondered this but couldn't the imperium just go and perform exterminatus on any known necron planets... same goes for hive fleets or planets being taken over by nids.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
they already tried that, the problem is Tyranids always survived somehow, usually it was always digging under the ground, and exterminatus usually is just boiling the atmosphere into nothing or biological rubbish, but necrons don't even need it and aren't affected.

you would have to turn the entire planet into nothing but dust, and doing so takes allot of resources for the imperium, its not a simple task of launch a bomb or call in a planet killer, planet goes boom, the imperium doesn't really have anything like that.

and although they are quick to put innocent people to death, there not so quick to kill a planet that can still be colonized.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ok, I've always wondered this but couldn't the imperium just go and perform exterminatus on any known necron planets... same goes for hive fleets or planets being taken over by nids.
Even if they do do this to all known necron worlds, which they do often the necrons are still hidden on quite a few of the planets.

As for the nids they only attack planets with living things on it so exterminatus is not the most appealing decision. And they spend most of their time out floating around in space.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They did that for the last major hive fleet in an attempt to starve them out. Nids focus on a planet, exterminatus the planet. It worked, but the Imperium simply doesn't have enough worlds to do it a second time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's not only about habitable planets, it's a matter of evolution with the nids. Can you imagine how tough the survivors of an exterminatus would be? Even if only a handful survived by burying themselves underground they'd probbably have to come up with some really nasty biomorphs to have survived those conditions and to get back out into space. Then the imperium's got to deal with a small number of very tough MCs (even by nids standards) though having performed an exterminatus their attentions would likely be drawn elsewhere.

Then, all sneaky sneaky like, the new nids manage to take out some passing ships or a small jungle planet nearby and you've got the start of an super weapon-proof hive fleet. Nightmare! Not saying it's probbable but if it was used widely as a tactic, the chances of it happening would increase.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The imperiums big tactic vs the tyranids was the exterminatus, they made massive gaps by destroying planets, but its too costly a tactic.

The new tactic by Kryptman is to divert them into ork teritory, but nids are getting bigger and stronger and smarter because of it. Also remember it doesn't take that much biomass to regrow a hive fleet.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
In regards to exterminatus against necrons, there is little point as exterminatus focuses on eradicating life by means of virus bombs and destroying the atmosphere, turning them into dead worlds. Something, I add, that the necs tend to do themselves.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Exterminatus can extend to simply blowing the planet up, not just making it a dead world. Cyclonic torpedeos and other techniques can be used to turn the planet into space dust, not even necrons can survive that.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
This thread did just kind of tell me why I cant have a Dreadnought Chapter Master with kick ass weapons or a terminator with 2 Assault Cannons and a Cyclone Missile Launcher...

·
Registered
328 Posts
In regards to exterminatus against necrons, there is little point as exterminatus focuses on eradicating life by means of virus bombs and destroying the atmosphere, turning them into dead worlds. Something, I add, that the necs tend to do themselves.
The process of turning a planet into a dead world is what makes the tyranid stronger. Deny them their source of food and blow up a lot of 'em while doing it, and you've effectively robbed the tyranid of their greatest advantage. If the Imperium had an infinite number of worlds it'd be the perfect counter.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yesterday, I was told I can't assault with my tactical marines after I rapid fire. Why can't I? Does rapid firing tire the marines out or something?
In the books they could shoot while running and still assault. so wtf?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
you cant assault after rapid firing thats in the rulebook. Its purely a balance issue.

thraka virus bombs been used against nids and they burry themselves in trygon tunnels and survive, necrons can't be affected as they are not organic

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
To make the game balanced. Besides, if you could there would never be the choice between rapid firing or assaulting. You'd always do both if you could.
And assault weapons would be kinda stupid to have if they didn't do anything besides having greater range after moving.

And fluffvwise it's because most rapid fire weapons are rather big or clunky (or both), have plenty of recoil or are terribly inaccurate in such situations. I can only imagine it being rather hard to fire a bolter on the moving while you are trying to ready your knife/sword/axe/whatever for the coming melee.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Errr, Cyclone exterminatus only left a few, heavily wounded organisms on the planet and they were the larger breeds such as Fexes and Trygons (Probably). No reason why 'Nids underground could survive, just watch the end of the first Gears of War very closely. being underground didn't help the Corpsers much now did it? Admittedly, Lightmass Bomb is probably beyond even standard 40K levels of destruction but the procedure is similar. Make a big hole, drop a big bomb.

Midnight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts