Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, wtf? Why cant a Space Marine Command Squad have jump packs? Thats just so frigging stupid, it is just so stupid, so could anyone tell me why not?

And why cant Chaplains and Librarians have a command squad?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I asked the same question when I started 40k. I think its just that marines arent very smart, the same reason they dont have chainswords for regular marines. Even chaos marines figured that one out (one of the many reasons they are better).

Anyway, you could just model a command squad with jump packs and use them as vanguard vets.

Or you could use the BA codex.

Or you could play chaos and forget about problems like this due to their sheer awesomeness.

·
Registered
795 Posts
if you want jump pack marines who are veterans, take a Vanguard Squad with your leader. It's a bit a silly a command squad doesn't have the option but there are ways around it.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Because Codex Marines already stole our Veterans with jump packs (speaking as a Codex: Blood Angels player). You can't have our Honor Guard, too!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bah, sparkle-marines shouldn't get to hog all the interesting options. Normal marines need librarian dreads and the like too!

Just stick to melta-pistols and random fits of madness. :p

But yes, I really wish I could give the command squad jump packs...

Or even terminator armour. Stupid GW. Stupid Matt Ward.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
I asked the same question when I started 40k. I think its just that marines arent very smart, the same reason they dont have chainswords for regular marines. Even chaos marines figured that one out (one of the many reasons they are better).

Anyway, you could just model a command squad with jump packs and use them as vanguard vets.

Or you could play chaos and forget about problems like this due to their sheer awesomeness.
Agreed, Death to t3h false Emprah!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Just a question, why on Earth would you want to give your command squad jump packs anyway when they have access to bikes, which travel further, bestow the relentless USR on the rider, and increase the rider's toughness to 5. To summarize bikes>jump packs.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I've always thought that was stupid. If you can give your Chapter Master a jump pack his command squad should be able to them to.

Sure you could just use Vanguard Vet or an assult squad but nothing says awesome like a Jump Apothicary.

·
Registered
191 Posts
True

i agree is that space marines are stupid chaos it the only true answer but i mean achplains are techinaly "heros"/ imporant figure i read the books and play broed and comp games and in comp games tyhe new ones you cna have chainswords but Go CHAOS

·
Registered
90 Posts
*imagines the size of jump-pack an apothecary would need to carry the huge pack he already has, then realises its an apothecary that can jump*
Dear Lord.. What has science done!

Either way, as people have said, marines aren't very smart. Why do you think chaos marines are so much better? Because they don't look to a dead corpse to find out when to eat,shit,piss,fight,talk,etc

The day a marine takes a bolter and a chainsword. is the day hes accused of heresy and purged (or pleases his superiors and they become chaos marines)

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
i agree is that space marines are stupid chaos it the only true answer but i mean achplains are techinaly "heros"/ imporant figure i read the books and play broed and comp games and in comp games tyhe new ones you cna have chainswords but Go CHAOS
what? seriously... you do know what punctuation is right?

CP

·
Registered
494 Posts
I find it funny (annoying too as they can't take them) but i do have an apothacary with a jump pack. I get to use him in my custom vets squad.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Just a question, why on Earth would you want to give your command squad jump packs anyway when they have access to bikes, which travel further, bestow the relentless USR on the rider, and increase the rider's toughness to 5. To summarize bikes>jump packs.
Because I'd like to give Shrike Feel No Pain? Since right now he can't have a Command Squad that actually has a point...

Also, bikes are 25pts per model, and are ugly 2nd Ed models. Jump Packs are half the price or less, and can be very pretty if you model them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Jump packs are Awesome in general. 12" movement with 3D6 fallback? yes please! for a modest price as well.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
are ugly 2nd Ed models.
That's a matter of opinion, they may be second ed models, but I think they look pretty decent for their age in my honest opinion and really don't need resculpting for quite some time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The same Chaos that got gutted by the last codex? Nah.

Damnit, would play Alpha Legion if there was a decent dex.
Let's be patient and wait for a new better codex...maybe in 2012 or something...meanwhile, well, let's just work with what we have...

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Lib-Con coalition pulled money via spending cuts.

SM command squads at the SM command squad training convention one day walking into the changing rooms and feeling the pinch of bad government decisions.

Either that or theres a very confused yet highly mobile Somalian pirate out there somewhere...

·
Registered
519 Posts
The answer is simple. Matt Ward is beyond useless as a writer. How do we solve the problem of Matt Ward. We turn to Captain Blackadder who tells us: "His immediate resignation and suicide would seem the obvious answer".

·
Registered
446 Posts
Or even terminator armour. Stupid GW. Stupid Matt Ward.
Want Termy vets? Play Dark Angels, theres a whole company of them.

Though the special marine dex's need to be adding flavor to the armies, not taking them away from nilla marines.

This goes onto the growing list of unanswered questions like how jump pack troops can be trapped and the like... The list keeps growing! AAHHHhh!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts