Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting back into Warhammer 40k and WFB and was wondering why this Stormclaw set was so limited, the current starter set Dark Vengeance has two factions that don't interest me whereas the Stormclaw box has two that do interest me.

It's practically a starter set, you just need the measuring templates and dice.

I'm also wondering if GW do something similar to this for WFB, the Island of Blood starter set is pretty old now.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Welcome to Heresy!

Seems to me that the Stormclaw thing was short order only because it was in support of the current campaign GW is pushing, Sanctus Reach. They just started the Warhammer: Nagash edition as well, which seems to fantasy as Cities of Death or Apocalypse is to 40k. Unique rules and background to enhance standard play.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the StormClaw box set had an RRP of £75 and now goes for about £100 on eBay, not sure if that's still a deal or not. It's about £5 for the starter stuff from Dark Vengeance so that's £105 all together.

So with the new Nagrash stuff coming out do you expect a new starter set based upon it?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think GW learned that if you make something limited then people are more inclined to buy that item because there are only a limited number of them. Orks are one of the better ones for this box set thing as well because you need so many to make an army. Assualt on Black reach was a good starter set for many people as well.

So they limit them so they sell out of them plus most of the box set was stuff they already produce they just added two new characters and it was a smashing success.

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
That, and there will be more box sets coming out for separate campaigns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys, I think I'll just go for the Dark Vengeance set cause I can get it at a decent price, shame about the press fit models, they do still look good though.

I notice there is a 'Sanctus Reach: Hour of the Wolf' book, do you think this will have an accompanying set or will the next box set be a different campaign entirely. I'm just looking at value for money whilst I dabble with the hobby.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely GW has learned the value of "limited edition". You see it with more and more Black Library stuff too.

They could be creating boxed sets like this for the sake of quick cash infusion. Have a revenue goal for the short term and make it. Only the special characters were unique to the set. Everything else was product they already had.

And I think they are specifically trying to get away from starter sets that are too attractive because the profit margin is probably lower on them with all the extra books and dice and templates, etc, most of which just get thrown out. AoBR sold like hot cakes back in the day. And while you might think "Hey, isn't selling a lot of them a good thing?"

Maybe. But the profit margin selling all of those models individually was probably higher. Derk Verngernce is a good starter set, but that's all it is. Unlike AoBR, whose "Ultramarines" could be used for pretty much any army, and whose Orks variety was solid, you could buy a ton of those boxed sets and sell the extras on EBay (or as bits if you were an EBay seller already).

I'm guessing we'll see a lot more "limited edition" boxed sets like this in the future. People will snap them up for the exclusive models.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts