Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as the title suggests, i would like to know what you guys think is the best and or most competitive Space Marine codex/chapter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My custom chapter because they are so icy <3.

If you're talking in terms of fluff (and not stained with opinions) you'd have to go with the UM or SW. Whilst everyone hates the poster boys of the UM they do control a significant amount of space and thus have a lot of material and population to draw upon. Wolves for simply having so many ranging lunatics :p.

In actually gaming sense the it's hard to seperate them (though most would cry about SW being OP, etc.) due to their external balance and different focuses but I'd say the SW dex slightly edges out BA/SM by the teeniest of margins.

But ya, go Ice Claws <3.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Any marines that betray the emperor is cool.

Now, it's clear that the CSM codex is the worst by far...well, after the dark angels wich are pretty underpowered and then the Black templars who need a new dex. The the Vanilla Marines codex comes 3rd, then in close 2nd the Blood Angels just a little behind the Space Wolfs.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Do you who is the best charature or chapter?

Well for lone Marine then i would have to say one of the following,
Vulkan - Bad ass and essential for Salamander armys
Lysander - Made of win and can stare anythign down
Methiston - Insane in combat
Sanuinor - Again isnane in every term
Khan - Only if used in bike force Scar armys (Khaaaaaaannnnn!!!!:angry:)

As for Chapter then i have to say Crimson Spartans....aka. my chapter :biggrin: Drop pods for the Win.

·
Registered
361 Posts
id have to go with space puppys too as codex wise they are nails but as for fluff id have to go blood angles even though i play salamanders.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Character-wise:

Game- Petro Kantor, allowing Stern Guard to be scoring is all types of win.
Fluff- Cpt. Cortez, aka Mr Invincible

Chapter-wise:

Game- Space Wolves, no question
Fluff- Ultramarines, they've sacrificed and given more to the Imperium than any other Chapter.
Y'know, on many occasions these past few days you've said almost exactly what I would've before I got the chance to, and all I could do is quote you.

Meh, not much different here.

In fact, I'm gonna give you +rep just for sharing my point of view on SO many things and just generally baring the brunt of all the arguments for me. :biggrin:

EDIT: Okay apparently I can't because I've already given some to you. Oh well.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Not the damn Ultramarines. Idiot smurfs are a stain on the hobby.

Best?

Blood Ravens.

never, just NEVER say bad things about ultramarines and then turn around to say the bastard child of GW, the blood ravens, are best.

its like saying pedophiles are evil then forcing a little boy to touch your willy, its wrong, very very wrong.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahahahah intersting, personaly i dislike UM quite a lot. most everyone plays them, you always see the same exact colour scheme. And it is quite boring to face the same army no matter where you play time and again. Didn't know that people favored The space puppies so much in terms of win. was there a recent codex change or somthing cause all the Space wolfs i've played were garbage.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
hahahahah intersting, personaly i dislike UM quite a lot. most everyone plays them, you always see the same exact colour scheme. And it is quite boring to face the same army no matter where you play time and again. Didn't know that people favored The space puppies so much in terms of win. was there a recent codex change or somthing cause all the Space wolfs i've played were garbage.
Are you complaining that all UM armies are blue or have I missed something?

And your playing areas must be wierd because I've been in the hobby for 10 years, played/lived in 3 different counties, and the only UM army I ever saw was GW Stoke's AoBR Marines painted up for display.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
never, just NEVER say bad things about ultramarines and then turn around to say the bastard child of GW, the blood ravens, are best.
I'm always amazed when this happens, but I actually have to agree with Stella here. The Blood Ravens are a partial concept of something 40k fluff heads have tried to steer people away from for ages because it is such an overused and badly done idea, next to "my chapter is missing legion A or B." (The other bad idea being "my chapter bears the secret that it uses traitor geneseed/is geneseed spliced from loyal and traitor geneseed/is made from altered geneseed.")

Anensenef said:
personaly i dislike UM quite a lot. most everyone plays them, you always see the same exact colour scheme.
Alright, I pose a challange to you then; find five players of any other chapter (all playing the same chapter) and lets see how many of them have vastly different colour schemes. I don't just mean different company colour schemes (generally the shoulder guard trim or something of that nature) I mean find yourself, say, five Salamander players and lets see how many of them do not paint the bulk of their force in green.

Or do Raven Guard and Black, or Imperial Fists and Yellow.

Its the mainstay of their colour scheme, blue with white for the Ultramarines. What would you expect.

Like Spikey though, I call shananigans on everyone playing them; took me years to find an Ultramarine player, and thats only because I briefly gave them a try (and now would actually do it with a bit of pride these days.) People bash them for little or no good reason so much that unless your in the wierdest of locations, you'll be hard pressed to find many players for them.

As for the topic itself; I'm gonna go with the Black Templars. How many other chapters could potentially make the claim that they are small legion sized at this time? (And I mean which one chapter, not any combination of chapters.)

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I'd love to see just 2 ultramarine armies in my lifetime, I've seen only 1 so far out of 14yrs of gaming, but the amount of (badly painted) blood ravens I saw after DOW reared its ugly head could only be counted on the hands of 2 south american children whos parents are brothers, sisters and cousins all at the same time.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'd love to see just 2 ultramarine armies in my lifetime, I've seen only 1 so far out of 14yrs of gaming, but the amount of (badly painted) blood ravens I saw after DOW reared its ugly head could only be counted on the hands of 2 south american children whos parents are brothers, sisters and cousins all at the same time.
I've seen all the UM special characters painted up at GW Stoke but they were all painted in the Hawk Lords colour scheme (Purple and Gold like pre-heresy Emperor's Children) so I suppose that doesn't really count.

One day I might collect an Ultramarines army just so I know I'm probably the only person in the area who has one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, out of the 18 payers that we have here, 3 play ultramarines, 7 play other chapter of marines, included 2 space wolfs and 1 blood angel. We have then 2 Ork players too, 2 play Eldar, 2 chaos daemons players, 1 IG and myself playing CSM.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do they actually play Ultramarines or do they just use the Codex SM?

I also agree on the BS of everyone plays UM as I've never seen anyone playing a UM army in person. If anything I see Black Templars the most. Seems like every 2nd or 3rd SM army I see is BT.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow again! quess it must be were i play. I play in the syracuse NY region. at the local rouge trader event last few weeks ago i saw 2 choas SM, 1 black templar, and 5 UM. Plus the 2 um players that didn't go, and the 3 that play at the comic zone there are about 10 total um players in my area. now my personal friends that i play w/ rock black temp/ his own chapter, the other plays um an orks. mybe about 10 other sm chapters being played by random others. 50% (proly more)of the players in the area have a SM army and 50% of those are UM....

·
Registered
243 Posts
We have 1 guy that plays UM at our local store.

Thinking back at my old game store we had 1 guy that played UM as well. That was me when I first started.

I see more Space Wolves and IG than anything else these days.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts