Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know the Blood Ravens won Dark Crusade as Thule survived and they have some wargear that mentions it in DOW2. However we know that the Blood Ravens were defeated in Soulstorm.

That begs the question of who won? Gorgutz probably lost as otherwise he'd have a Waaaaaagh! all set up for his reappearence which isn't noramlly how he does it. The eldar and imperial guard endings both end with the third planet abbandoned but the others re-colonised by the imperium.Finally I found the most eventful to be the chaos ending as they prepare for a bigger war, perhaps setting the scene for a re-appearence. But is there any way we can tell who won?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Imperial Guard, evidently. Bit odd, seeing as they'd lost half their meager forces before most of the others even showed up, but meh. Seems the Kauruvan Conservators are at least as skilled as Gaunt's Ghosts...

Eldar-unlikely
Chaos- Metal boxes? Doubt it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I'd probably say that the Sisters won Soulstorm... their ending seemed the most possitive in my mind...

Chaos, Blood Ravens, Dark Eldar, Normal Eldar, Necron and Tau certainly didn't win in my mind... so that only really leaves the SoB's, Orks or Guards.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How can you doubt the guard the governer packed off 100 baneblades the day before the conflict, who has 100 baneblades to ship out.

I want to say eldar, but its never really been clarified, all we know is that the BRs lost and that made cyrus sad

·
Registered
23 Posts
oww i dont know but if any one remembers assaulting the imp guard bace the Commissar talks about a shipment of 100 BANEBLADES! so i dont know but i can put my money on any other army that DIDNT have 100 baneblades! LOL

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You could argue that Soulstorm possibly ended in a stalemate... Cyrus said that 'The campaign was a mistake'. Even though we know that the BR's lost it, you could take that as meaning it was a mistake for anyone to try and take over the entire system and that everyone suffered heavy losses.

Ig's couldn't have done that good though... if you ship off 100 Baneblades, and leave yourself with 0 to defend yourself, so you have to build them all again... that just really kicks of bad leadership to me. Add to the fact the mission where you disrupt their supply lines so easily because the routes practically undefended... You've got Valks, why not air lift supplies, or have the factories for the parts near each other so you don't risk ambush on the supply routes?

Thing is, The IG failing to aid the Marines, and also failing to aid the Sisters... If the IG HAD won, attacking the Sisters is Heresy, so the entire system would be up for investigation, and Slaughtering the emperors marines is tanamount to treason too... even if they did win, they'd have lost too as the =I= would be on their asses asap to see why the comander didn't aid forces he should have done.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Didn't Iron Lore state that the cannonical ending was victory for the guard?

I'm sure I heard that.

We also know that Indrik 'Spess Mehrens' Boreal died. which is all to the good.

·
Registered
674 Posts
They did, but it's still canon. Stubbs is therefore clearly made of win and awesome, and craps out bolt rounds. :grin:

He does have Ibram Gaunt's jacket, after all...

Way I see it, Imperial Guard took a drubbing from Chaos, then the other armies showed up, attacked Chaos, the Necrons, and each other, and managed to kill enough of each other for the Guard to steamroll them. That, and most of the armies were led by complete idiots, most of whom were zealots to boot.

As for the Sisters, they probably got everyone else to attack them due to religion-induced stupidity, attacking everything in sight, and calling the Spess Marines heretics and tainted when the Ravens arrived just before they did. Guard just finished them off.

Same for the Ravens. Boreale attacked the enemies of man along with the Guard, got soundly trounced by said enemies, and had the Guard wipe out him and his stronghold in a retaliatory strike.

Sounds good?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Didn't Iron Lore go bankrupt just as the game was released hence why it wasn't done well.
I'd actually love to know the exact circumstances behind Iron Lore folding and Soulstorm. They were a solid company and gave us Titan Quest, Diablo 3 in the ancient world before Diablo 3 was a reality. I get bugged by Warhammer fans who absolutely hate Iron Lore for Soulstorm with the "THEY RUINED DAWN OF WAR! THEY DESERVED TO FAIL!" attitude. Did they really not care at all and do a half-ass job? Did some executive throw the project at them with a "FINISH THIS FINAL GAME, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT" memo? Did they know ANYTHING about 40k beyond a footnote of "SPESS MEHRINES! BANEBLADES ARE COOL, HAVE LIKE 100 OF THEM!".

Dunno what happened. They could do good work and I wish they were still in business. Be nice to know were the company failing and Soulstorm sucking were in relation to each other.

As for who won, clearly it must have been the Dark Eldar, as they decided to hold turf for a change. :suicide:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So far as I understand it - about halfway through developing Soulstorm, Iron Lore realised that it had nothing else on the horizon, and they failed to get the funding for any more games. (To even start developing a modern game requires a hefty injection of cash from a publisher).

Because of this, the execs decided to cheap out on Soulstorm and fold the company as soon as they had a stable release. Thus salvaging as much money as possible from a doomed company at the expense of the game.

Compare Troika Games - who made the cult-classic Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Almost exactly the same thing happened there, but the company decided instead that, if they were going under, then by god they will make the best game they possibly can. (It was riddled with bugs, but they tried.)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If Imperial Guard won, then Asdrubael Vect is dead, brought down by like 5 lasgun shots. Since Vect (mistake to put a SC in the game) is still alive in all official fluff + DE Codex (but then is anything in there canon anymore? :p) thinks he's alive then I'd say he's alive.

Mind you, defeating him was piss-easy. 9 Berzerkers, a Berzerker pretending to be an Alpha Legion and a Predator Destructor brought him down almost instantly? No way, Jose.

On a side note if Dark Scythe was a tabletop ability then every single player would shout 'CHEESE!!!!!!' and run to buy DE Codicies.

Midnight

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is an old tread and i that i shouldn't but i have a Theory about why Boreale was sent.

Maybe the Chapter master sent Boreale, a captain of the 9th reserve company, instead of a Battle company captain knowing he'd fail.Thule barely took on the armies in Dark Crusade and Maybe Boreale's marines was a sacrifice to the warp storm and the Demon Ulkair the Unclean One. Not that being a Reserve company captain is a bad at tactics job but he was recently promoted before the Events of Soulstorm. he also used tactics for the wrong defense. Gabriel would never use Steel rain in the way Boreale did.

That's my Theory.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
well that is asuming that there are winners in war. Sometimes it's not so simple. It's hard to put it in real life terms as most of the time we have 2 sides while Soulstorm had a total of 9. So lets look at how each campain endined for each person;

Space Marines
They brought in new Imperial troops to hold the system however it doesn't metnion if the Marines stayed in control of the system or went else wheres. It also says nothing aobut the 3rd planet eaither so one assumes that they matined some forces of the Ravens in the system and left the 3rd planet alone.

Orks
They converted all 4 planets into creating a grand Wagrrrr!!! However unlike other games Gorgutz never appered agian. dispite being in 3 games total(and the most talked about person win the DOW francize). So one can assume that this effort amounted to little if anything more thna just contolling the system for a while.

Chaos
They control the system and it is told to us that they intend to launch an attack on the imperiam. This hold more water than the orks as they have a steady supply of men and the rift is getting larger so more daemons and the like can get though...however little else i know what else they would/could have done.

Eldar
They destroy EVERY SINGLE little ork and the like but leave the Guardsmen alone to recolonise the system, however they strike any attpents to take contol of the 3rd planet. Once agian the Guardsmen get a foot hold again.

Imperial Guard
They take control(again) and reconstruct all 3 planets. they leave the 3rd alone hinting that they are affrid of the Necrons or perhaps the Eldar as seen in there ending credits. It is also hinted that they chrned out far better troops than msot systems after the war.

Tau
They finish there defence netwrok making there bace almost un-movable, they also colonised the entire system however it is not mention if that includes the 3rd planet or not. Also new Tactics are considered after this war.

Necron
Not much is said actually. Only that they control the system now and that the "Desiver" is in control of them.

Dark Eldar
They destroy all life on ever planet(do Necrons count as life?). They also then built up there Torture factorys on there moon. However it is said that they left the system viva web way so nothing remains.

Sisters of Battle
They destroy there enemys and the "exactute" all guard and marines. They then build there citys as Religious areas and are given the system.

Who won?
Well lookign at it the Necrons, Orks and Dark Edlar are completly out. They do little in if they don't win and not mauch is ever said other than they control the place. I belive that the Guard won....and the Eldar. Why?
Well the Imperial Guard contoleld the system 3 of 9 of the campaignes(4 if you coun't the sisters). The eldar however i belive are the true winners in all but 1 of them. There ONLY objective was to stop the Necrons and unless they won then even if they where stopped then they would rely on another to stop them. The farseer actually says this when you defeat her so i persoanly belive that The Imperial forces(mostly guard) and edlar hold a joint win in the system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts