Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
The Flames gone out for you eh Jeridan?

I seem to fluke it and end up playing 4 or more Marines each time. They're like stepping stones for a vehicle heavy marine list.

Only one Eldar for me at heat 2 - Ian off these boards- whoose beautiful army wasn't cut out to handle the firepower I brought to the table, although his harlequins did cause some shit in my lines for a couple of turns.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Flames gone out for you eh Jeridan?
Aye, it's like a splash of cold water. 40k has very, very little to do with skill and everything to do with what models you happen to buy.
I'm not prepared to play a £200 game of Rock/Paper/Scissors for a weekend.

I still have Epic and Warhammer, :eek:k:

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I lost out to a combination of bad army selection, lack of practice in the months leading up to it and seriously bad dice in two games. First time I've failed to qualify for a GT. And the last. Next time I'll either do things properly or not bother.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'll have an army list that I've tried out, not units I built the day before. My scout bikers were absolutely useless and just had to hide in several games, which I would have known if I had used them first. The one game where they might have been able to bring in my Librarian's terminator squad and let off fear of the darkness right in the middle of everything I went second and they got shot. Lots of other stuff was way below optimal as well.

I'll practice against a variety of opponents so that I know what's out there and what to do about it.

I'll learn to use my own army too. I found myself doing things and thinking "I wonder what happens if I do this". That's not good enough. I need to at least know what my own army can do at the very least.

Basically it was frustrating to come away from games thinking that two years ago I'd have destroyed the but having lost. I didn't have a lot of time spare but even a few games would have shown me some of this stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Aye, it's like a splash of cold water. 40k has very, very little to do with skill and everything to do with what models you happen to buy.

Wow, have you actually convinced yourself that this is true, to make it easier on yourself that you lost a few games of toy soldiers? Obviously it couldn't be that you had taken an army that couldn't deal with a range of opponents, so when you drew lots of eldar you were screwed.....or that your opponents were actually better at the game than you?
I don't know about epic but i dont think warhammer is the game for you either.

Didn't you go with your marine list "too qualify" because they did last year? and sisters weren't powerful enough to do that.....even though some of them did......maybe there lists were more rounded than yours?

Marines as an army are one of the most powerful codex's around, there capable of dealing with any army if there built that way. I wonder what your actual list was, were there gaping holes in it? Did you play them poorly?

big fish small pond maybe???

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
I took the Marine list I built the week before without a single playtesting game.

I'm not convinced you need playtesting to suceed. A good understanding of your list and those of your opponents is better than 4 crappy test games against the GW whipping boy.

I know guys that've played the game since the start of 3rd edition who couldn't win a game against themselves.

·
Registered
154 Posts
go on you know you want too ;)

i'm genuinely interested to see how you have managed to convince yourself that theres no way that being good at the game affects it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow, have you actually convinced yourself that this is true, to make it easier on yourself that you lost a few games of toy soldiers? Obviously it couldn't be that you had taken an army that couldn't deal with a range of opponents, so when you drew lots of eldar you were screwed.....or that your opponents were actually better at the game than you?
I don't know about epic but i dont think warhammer is the game for you either.

Didn't you go with your marine list "too qualify" because they did last year? and sisters weren't powerful enough to do that.....even though some of them did......maybe there lists were more rounded than yours?

Marines as an army are one of the most powerful codex's around, there capable of dealing with any army if there built that way. I wonder what your actual list was, were there gaping holes in it? Did you play them poorly?

big fish small pond maybe???
Lol chump.

There's a reason why eldar are the army that has the best qualifying percentage - give you a clue, begins with h and ends in s.

Si might be massively pessimistic but in essence i agree with him on eldar. If you don't roll above average, there are generally three heavy support choices not dying and being scoring at the end moving 24".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Didn't make it from heat 1. Played with my Night Lords and had a good time only marred slightly by playing Tau 3 times on day 2. I didn't make it because I made a few mistakes and a couple of bad judgement calls in some games. I'll be back next year for another go

·
Registered
94 Posts

Lol chump.

There's a reason why eldar are the army that has the best qualifying percentage - give you a clue, begins with h and ends in s.

Si might be massively pessimistic but in essence i agree with him on eldar. If you don't roll above average, there are generally three heavy support choices not dying and being scoring at the end moving 24".
While the reply was slightly trollish, what jeridian has said is still complete crap and does provoke such a reply.

Eldar I believe have an advantage and i agree that they need toning down. However, they are NOT overpowered to the extent that they make 40k 'rock paper scissors' and you can very easily roll average and at least destroy 1/2 grav tanks or at least immobilise them. Saying that 40k has nothing to do with skill is just not true and is clearly being said because he is bitter quite frankly.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Some armies are more luck-based than others, and skimmer eldar are one of them. Usually the falcons are invulnerable but sometimes you end up going second in a gamma set up and they get shot down before they move. It makes Eldar a good army to qualify with since you can expect to have 4 or 5 good games, and one really bad one. They aren't quite so good for winning events overall.

From what we hear, skimmers are taking a heavy nerf in 5th Ed. They will only get a save against penetrating hits, not be immune to them. That will bring Eldar back to where they should be.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I've never taken eldar skimmers to a gt eactly beacause against the right army, your screwed, if you go second your screwed. Plus they don't do a hell of a lot of damage alot of the time due to being easy to silence in the short term. I absolutely smashed my mates mech eldar in 5 out of 5 practice games leading up to the gt. That was using, Tau, Tyranids, marines[twice] and necrons. When testing for the gt 2/3 years ago i trialed 3 falcons because people were saying they were sick and couldn't lose etc... In a game vs necrons i lost all 3 in the first turn.
Like with most armies theres alot more to playing them than most will give credit for. I made my tau army for the gt and played about 4 games before going there and yet the guys at my club think tau are broken and easy to win with due to the jetpacks even though 3 others there use them and don't do very well at all.

Yeah some armies will be a bad match up. Yes luck has a factor. Yes terrain has a factor. However all armies need to be played well to work. I've never lost a game to someone i think is a poor/average general. Even when ive had terrible luck, bad matchups and terrain that worked against me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never taken eldar skimmers to a gt eactly beacause against the right army, your screwed, if you go second your screwed. Plus they don't do a hell of a lot of damage alot of the time due to being easy to silence in the short term. I absolutely smashed my mates mech eldar in 5 out of 5 practice games leading up to the gt. That was using, Tau, Tyranids, marines[twice] and necrons. When testing for the gt 2/3 years ago i trialed 3 falcons because people were saying they were sick and couldn't lose etc... In a game vs necrons i lost all 3 in the first turn.
Like with most armies theres alot more to playing them than most will give credit for. I made my tau army for the gt and played about 4 games before going there and yet the guys at my club think tau are broken and easy to win with due to the jetpacks even though 3 others there use them and don't do very well at all.

Yeah some armies will be a bad match up. Yes luck has a factor. Yes terrain has a factor. However all armies need to be played well to work. I've never lost a game to someone i think is a poor/average general. Even when ive had terrible luck, bad matchups and terrain that worked against me.
This is closer to true. Its a fact that skill plays a big part with every army and saying that eldar are so imbalanced that they require little/no skill is complete rubbish. However, i wouldnt say there is any army that screws eldar skimmers over. Necrons are the scariest match up, but they dont autowin at all. The eldar weakness is bad terrain+going second at gamma level or possibly infiltrating heavy weapons. necrons are nasty as eldar struggle with monoliths massively and destroyers are very fast with good firepower.

I have to say, how you managed to beat eldar with tyranids is a mystery to me. There are few nid builds that I'm not very confident when i fight.

The problem with people's ridiculous attitude to mech eldar is because they seem to be under the illusion that when the eldar player deploys, 3 substantial grav-tank hiding terrain pieces are automatically parked in their deployment zone and thus the grav tanks are impossible to penetrate. Another example is the fact that just because you need to roll 55,56,66 to immobilise or kill a grav tank, it is impossible to do unless you get incredibly lucky and so there will always be 3 working holo tanks zooming 24 on objectives.

Both of these oddly common opinions are equally ridiculous. In my GT, all 3 of my grav tanks were mobile in just 1 of my games and that was simply because the army i played was very weak. Thats because believe it or not, it is NOT possible to always completely hide all of our vehicles from enemy fire turn 1. Also amazingly enough, rolling a double 5 or more while hard, in a 6 turn game DOES happen. Therefore, unless the eldar player gets insanely lucky, there will be the odd few games at a GT where a grav tank does go down and you have to be able to react to that big loss of points and reliance you placed on that tank accordingly. That does take playtesting and skill to bounce back from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.