Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
up until recently i always seem to be reading things on the Ultramarines and i am not the boys in blue fan but i have taken to Ventris and co but i was thinking about the myriad of characters out there and have come up with my favourites:

Ibrahm Gaunt:

i always thought that Gaunt was everything rolled into one, a tough commander who had to make the decisions no one else wanted to make but who cared about his men and women and what happened to them and would put his life on the line for them as they would him...hence why i loive the Gaunts ghosts novels.

Ravenor:

as Inquistors go i kinda wondered how Ravenor would work and although he is very good at what he does i like the way his frustration of what he has become is portrayed.

Honsou:

as evil characters go Honsou is just the right mix, pissed off at his own leigon for they see him as nothing more then a half breed and with enough ambition to fuel that aggreession.

and i would like to see Perturabo and Curze in thier own novels just to see how they really were as such, we all know about Horus and co but whuy was Perturabo so miserable and broody, why did he always feel not good enough and obviously i would like to see Curze explored more.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I always had a soft spot for Yarrick. I pretty much love everything about the third war for Armageddon and his background story is pretty brutal if you ask me. Then Straken, he really got beefed out in the new codex and I like that but the battle transcript in Codex: Catachans is really cool. Oh, and both characters have really nice minis ta boot (well, maybe not the 2nd ed Yarrick).

·
Registered
39 Posts
My favorite 40k character is without a doubt Commisar Caiaphas Cain.
His entire person just screams awesome.

I love his pragmatic view on the whole imperial cult, his reluctance of accepting that he is in fact a hero at heart.

and of coarse his uncanny ability to sling out the best one liners in the galaxy at the best possible moments hehe.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd be tempted to say Cog, the half-Ogryn dude from Lord of the Night. I also like Zso Sahaal, also from LotN, and almost everyone from Gaunt's Ghosts. Especially Cuu... Yeah, definately Cuu.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Learchus of the Ultramarines. Admittedly he is a pompous prick, who`s own rank bitterness led to Uriel and Pasanius` banishment to the Eye of Terror and by freak destiny Medrengard; but this Codex-adhering Astartes just has that edge of dark-humour and an almost amusing tolerance of Uriel that I so craved for in Dead Sky, Black Sun.

Of course, Tarik Torgaddon is by far my favorite Character. Slaughtering Human-seperatists, Xenos and turncoat Astartes, he met a somewhat subdued end upon Isstvan III, and the joker of the Luna Wolves ceased to exist...:(

Tsu`gan of the Firedrake Salamander`s is ''badass'' alongside Onyx from Honsou`s Grand Company...

Corbec is another; he is so reminiscent of a raving alcoholic, pulled of a Hive-street, given a Lasgun and some energy-cells and told to act like a badass for the purposes of a few novels:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Cyrion and Uzas of the Night Lords. These two are awesome when they are alone and even more so when together. Cyrion's sense of humour is rare in an Astartes, especially a Night Lord, and coupled with an impossibly deep voice he is quite a cool character.

'So... how are you?'

But Uzas is awesome for the exact opposite reasons. He is brutal, bloodthirsty and utterly uncaring of what others think. I was laughing hard when not only does he ignore Adhemar's threats but doesn't actually register that Talos has smacked him hard across the helmet and into a bulkhead. And when he starts taking shots at a Warhound Titan despite being impossibly outclassed it was just epic.

In the loyalists i'd say Chaplain Elysius of the Salamanders. An awesome litany spouting torturing Chaplain with a sheer badass attitude. When he pitches an Ork Nob over the fortress walls by its neck and yells, 'I cast thee out abomination!', I instantly liked him. Plus coal black skin and glowing red eyes, thats just cool.

For aliens it has to be Warlord Gorgutz 'Ead 'Unter. A mega-tough Ork thats not as big as Ghazghkull, at least not yet :grin:. But I like him even more because of his humour and take on all comers attitude, and he always escapes in the end.

'Always 'ave yer tunnels dug an' ready.'

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I've alwayed liked Ahriman, he tried to save his legion, failed desparately and was banished, in a tragic echo of the sons themselves. plus I think his views on the imperium is spot on

"And what are the achievements of your fragile Imperium? It is a corpse rotting slowly from within while maggots writhe in its belly. It was built with the toil of heroes and giants, and now it is inhabited by frightened weaklings to whom the glories of those times are half-forgotten legends. I have forgotten nothing, and my wisdom has expanded far beyond mere mortal frailties."

For a loyalist It would be Gabriel Angelos, the 1st 40k loyalist marine I liked, and not to to bore me to death.

For Xenos it would be O'Shovah, I happen to like shadowy out casts with good intentions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
always loved Dante, hes the oldest living Space Marine (save for those in dreadnoughts)
that in its self is epic :grin:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah he certainly is one of the best up until i read the blood angels trilogy i thought calgar was the oldest space marine

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cyrion and Uzas of the Night Lords. These two are awesome when they are alone and even more so when together. Cyrion's sense of humour is rare in an Astartes, especially a Night Lord, and coupled with an impossibly deep voice he is quite a cool character.

'So... how are you?'

you know you're right and for some reason i also think Joey from friends saying how you doing in that voice :biggrin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
my fave is a half remembered inquisitor from nightbringer. i always forget his name but i remember him sitting in apartments loaned by the ruling body of Pavonis at the end of a hard day drinking synth-hol, while discussing the vagaries of life with his (only hinted at) mentor and best friend. i also remember him as being rather pragmatic. he was persuaded not to declare exterminatus in favor of meeting a problem head-on. to this day, the only inquisitor i actually like.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
My favorite character from BL would have to be mighty Haegr from the SW books. Brilliant character. You knew at somepoint he was going to die but that didn't stop be from being sad and horribly pissed off when he did. Fair well mighty Haegr, be sure not to drink the Halls of Russ dry. Lol Best character EVER!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My favorite 40k character is without a doubt Commisar Cain
his uncanny ability to sling out the best one liners in the galaxy at the best possible moments hehe.
I couldnt agree more on that part
for my favorite character its got to be Marduk from the word bearers trilogy you can never tell where hes coming from what hes planning or what hes going to do.
My favorite part of any book movie or any fiction ever is when he is betrayed at the end of the third book by his comanders and right as hes about to die you find out he had the whole betrayal planned out all along and he manipulated them all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have two favorites.

First there is Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! Possibly the only sane man in the 41st millennium.

My other favorite is Darrion Rauth, a Deathwatch Space Marine from the short story Headhunted. At first he seems like just a psyker hating prick who thinks his team's Librarian plays way to fast and lose with his powers. He becomes allot more sympathetic when he's proven almost exactly right. The Librarian starts to lose control of his power and it looks like Rauth will have to blow his head off before he gets deamon possessed. I was expecting him to start gloating. Instead Rauth takes no joy in being right, instead he shows remorse for what he has to do and even respect for the fallen Librarian. He might be a psyker but Rauth still saw him as a brother Space Marine. The part were Rauth starts to pull the trigger was a real nail-biter for me but I won't spoil the ending. I highly recommend you read the story for yourself. Rauth's character was well developed for a short story and I'm looking forward to reading more about him.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Haegr and the other guy from the SW not Ragnar but the cunning one.

As for chaos I love Honsou his arrogance is AMAZING! that coupled with the fact even a (SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER)ghost of a captain then the fucking legion of the damned couldn't kill him(/SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER) makes him one of the badass characters in the universe of 40k

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Vespasian of the Emperor`s Children. Trading jokes with Ferrus Manus, verbally sparring with Eidolon, and hacking down the Eldar Xenos besides his Lord Fulgrim.

Meeting a grisly end, he was the original loyalist! Forget Tarvitz, that fool...

·
Registered
194 Posts

'So... how are you?'
Yeah it was hilarious when he was trying to break the ice with those Terminators. Cyrion and Talos were definitely interesting characters and it was cool to see something different from the standard angry marines are angry stereotype.

My favorite is definitely Eisenhorn. Watching the drawn out downfall into Xanthism was a tragedy along with the deaths of his retinue and allies. You can't help but feel sorry for him but at the same time now he's on a whole new level of awesomeness (No he isn't dead.)

I loved Bequin because she was something different from the grim-darkness. That and seeing that an Inquisitor actually had some form of humanity (Blasphemy!) made the ending even harder. Ravenor was interesting but I didn't like him nearly as much as Eisenhorn. Don't get me wrong he's epic but I just didn't like it as much as the Eisenhorn trilogy.

Zygmunt Molotch is my favorite villain and one of my favorite characters. How can you not like this guy? He's brilliant, lethal and charming. What makes it even more shocking is that he isn't some insane heretic, madman or warp-spawned horror. He's another human being. His death was kind of anti-climatic but fitting in a way. Pontius Glaw was a great villian until the end...I was extremely disappointed with that final clash. Seriously I imagined some awesome warp-construct thing. Not some giant robot ape wearing a jacket of knives.

Don't forget about Ibram Gaunt or the Ghosts. Mkvenner, Mkoll, Gaunt, Larkin and Brostin. Blowing himself up and somehow living is really impressive for a human. (Brostin).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts