Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have some questions, betwen russ and magnus,which is more skilled in melee combat?

Which would have won on prospero had there been no interference?

Also which is the stronger psyker between the two?

And is russ psyker immune?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Russ is physically stronger and a better fighter.

With no Interferance, i.e. Sisters of Silence, then The Thousand Sons

Magnus is unquestionably the Strongest Psyker.

Russ and infact all the primarchs had a resistance to direct psychic attack, but Magnus is no ordinary psyker.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How was russ able to shrug off magnus's most powerful psyker attack? I thought magnus stated that he intended to slay russ with it, and then it goes to say it only made russ angrier.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Russ was more resistant than his brothers. All the wolves are.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With the exception of the Emperor, Magnus was and now may be, the most powerful psyker that there has ever been. Being created from warp energies, all Primarch were psykers to some extent, but Magnus was in a league of his own.

I'm pretty confident that if there had been no interference, the Tsons would have defeated the SW, and that Magnus would have bettered Russ. I count the Tsons as one of the more formidable legions, and their Primarch as possibly the most powerful of the lot. Magnus was no swordsman, but when you can rip your enemies to pieces with just a thought, a sword seems a little primitive.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the exception of the Emperor, Magnus was and now may be, the most powerful psyker that there has ever been. Being created from warp energies, all Primarch were psykers to some extent, but Magnus was in a league of his own.

I'm pretty confident that if there had been no interference, the Tsons would have defeated the SW, and that Magnus would have bettered Russ. I count the Tsons as one of the more formidable legions, and their Primarch as possibly the most powerful of the lot. Magnus was no swordsman, but when you can rip your enemies to pieces with just a thought, a sword seems a little primitive.

Exactly. Thats why the Silent Sisters were needed. Otherwise it would have been a slaughter, with the Wolves possibly being wiped out.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I don't even consider it interference. The wolves seemed to be an extension of Russ in a similar way to Magnus and his powers. To Russ they were simply two more weapons. And if you reed it the sisters were only really effectve for a few mins in the opening clash, the TS killed the vast majority after they became aware of their presence. That and the TS were not without allies. That had thousands if not hundreds of thousands of men and machines.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It all depends. If there were no silent sisters or custodes I think the legions would have almost completely wiped each other out with possibly both promarchs killing each other. Now, had Magnus not gone out of his way to screw up Propero's defences (blocking the Corvidae, dispersing his fleet etc.) I think the Thousand Sons could have destroyed the Space Wolves with relatively little trouble.
As to the primarchs in particular, Russ was definitely a better h2h/melee combatant than Magnus but not nearly as potent psychically. That imo is where Magnus was foolish. He engaged Russ in melee, Russ's strong point, instead of engaging in ranged combat where he would probably have had a significant advantage.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Magnus should have destroyed the fleet in the warp...

The sons would have slaughtered the wolves no problem if it wasn't for the sisters and the custodes. They were highly regarded as one of the the most deadly legions.

I'm still not convinced that Magnus wanted to kill Russ, otherwise why not destroy the fleet or use the sons fleet to counter attact as the wolves were landing, Russ may have been better in combat but by "killing" magnus he offers him a form of vindication, that it was magnus who was betrayed rather than magnus betraying the imperium

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, I read somewhere ages ago, LONG before the book was announced, that horus intercepted the message telling Russ to bring magnus to terra and told him to kill him, is that still true.

P.S. 1 vs 1 Magnus would of won.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah.... It a big part of the story.
P.S. No it was a fair fight. Magnus had powers Russ had two wolves. And in cc he would have lost.... Kinda like he did.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I don't think Magnus really trained himself for close combat quarters like many of the other primarchs did. Do I think it was a little unfair of the two wolves to jump in... well I would say yes. But out of all fairness I think it was right that Russ win that fight, though I must say Magnus put one hell of a fight. Though I know it doesn't simulate comparing two normal people with two primarchs its like trying to decide the outcome of a fight with a book worm and a savage that tears beasts and people alike.

Concerning the topic, I would have said that Magnus would have been able to win the battle and perhaps even the fight. I feel like Graham McNeil left something out. Though I did love the book as it is in my top ten fo sho, it seemed a little weird that the Emperor would send the wolves if the Emperor knew how much power Magnus really held. At least in Magnus' eyes it seemed that if he really wanted to destroy the Wolves he would have basically anhilated them in space. At least according to A Thousand Sons, Magnus is the cause for the destruction of Prospero... for the most part :). Its too bad Burning of Prospero didn't come out right after to settle things a little better. But what the hell, it makes it fun to discuss.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Tbh I don't think he could have done it. Each of his psykic attack should have killed a normal man a thousand times over but all they seemed to do was anger Russ, they caused a lot of damage to him but it would seem the more he attacks the stronger Russ became. That and they were unaware their were blanks in the fleet, perhaps that combined with the power of Russ and his legion would have nigated magnus's ability to destroy the fleet, assuming he could do so. That and the emperor might have had the ability to stop him from even making the attempt.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Thats what I assume, because I'm a little skeptical on what Magnus and Tzteench where thinking over the battle. Tzteench basically says that he could blow up the fleet if he wanted to, but the Emperor and Russ' abilities were pretty powerful. (though it would have taken a great deal of energy to protect russ from that distance)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Well if the blanks could block Magnus then they would of been flying blind as the navigators wouldn't be able to ... well navigate.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Well if the blanks could block Magnus then they would of been flying blind as the navigators wouldn't be able to ... well navigate.
Navigator chambers are like mini fortresses, in all likelihood they could shield the navigators from the blanks effects.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Do Pariahs really block Navigators? I was under the impression that the 'warp eye' made seeing the warp an intrinsic physical ability, and not a psychic one.

OT- I think there's a lot more to Russ than we know about. Magnus' psychic attacks didn't do what he expected them to do, rather than hurting Russ they pushed him to further beserker rage. Even with all of his magiks, Magnus was pounded. The wolves that helped Russ are an evener- helping to cancel-out some of the advantage Magnus has with his telekinetic abilities; if the Thousand Son Primarch can pick up bits of scenery with his mind, and form weapons out of pure thought, then I think we can excuse Russ having a couple of playmates.
Let's not forget that Magnus lost the fight, and quite convincingly; this does suggest, somewhat, that Russ is the stronger of the two. Or at least the better fighter.

GFP

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
In a omnibus....don't remember one a inq had a blank/navigator deactivated it's blank blocking thing, don't remember what it's called, and the navigator began freaking out yelling that he was blind, etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts