Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Who is more numerous?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My associate and I are having a philisophical debaucle about which 40K non-human army numbers the most (has the most models) in most battles. Tyranids or Footslogging Orks? I would cast my vote for Orks being the most numerous, but what do all you think?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
orks tyranids arent realy horded usualy they spend all the points on mcs while ork players spend points on infantry boys biker nobz ect

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It depends very much on if you're talking from a fluff perspective or a gaming perspective.

From a fluff perspective, methinks the orks have the edge, for when a single ork dies, it releases hundreds of spores that grow into full-fledged orks!

From a gaming perspective, however, I think tyranids have the edge. Massive swarms of various breeds of gaunt are common at my FLGS, and my own personal ork army idea is, well, quite limited (All meganobz :biggrin:)

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
Well...Orks are CLEARLY BETTER, but that wasn't the question. Now I'm not 100% clear about 40k xenos intimacy, copulation and propagation. Orks generally lead very violent lives and when they die they spew thousands of spores into the atmosphere. So...if you look around Earth today you will find that plants outnumber animals. I'll pick Orks in this category. Thats my unbiased answer. :eek:k:

Edit: Oh. I pick Orks in the gaming category too.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
From a fluff perspective i'd have to say: Orks come out on top
Because of the spores they release on death.
As far as i know the tyranids only propogate when they invade a planet where as the orks are always dying, even out of war time, due to 'cultural influences', and therefore propogate their species wether they like it or not; Constantly!

SGMAlice

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
orks tyranids arent realy horded usualy they spend all the points on mcs while ork players spend points on infantry boys biker nobz ect
Considering the fact that he asked specifically about the horde builds for both races, the fact that most players don't use that type is irrelevant.

@ OP from both a gameing and fluff perspective, Tyranids come out on top.

·
Registered
390 Posts
from a fluff perspective i'd have to say nids as in the 4th ed. codex it said that the hive fleets were just scouting forces of a much larger species.

from a gaming perspective i'd say orks as many nid players that i have faced have just maxed out MCs and genestealers so had no gaunts whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well, I'm going with Orks also since the Nids are too random about it.

The most numerous Nid army could potentially be one with 4 Tervigons in it. They COULD crank out the most numbers all around. But the odds of them getting a stomach cramp are too high.

·
4,491 Posts
Orks

Can run 200 models in 1500 points, and still be reasonably competitive.

Run a Kan Wall army against a Tervigon army and i can guarantee that the Orks will not only outnumber the Nids by far, but will thrash them in both combat and shooting too.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Guard :p

I can have a total of 138 modals in 1 Troop choice! Thats enought to deal with anything, that and i can have a upto 14 Lascannons in that 1 choice too.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I know IG is more hoardy, that's why I said non-human armies!:so_happy:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Orks, we'ze is dead'ard, rite'stompy an reel eazy to paint.

Green is Best!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
fluff wise...they're most likely at stalemate as right now they are beating each other up and no one is running short on men...er xenos

game wise...nids I've played games of 2000 when I end with 2750 points because tervigons keep spawning swarms of gaunts. Sure orks can have 100 models on the table but I could have way more if it wasn't for that fucking spawn breaker :*(

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Tyranids, without a doubt.

Orks do release the spores when they die, but they take a long time to mature and grow into new orks. Nids however, can pretty much spawn on the go a new fully evolved and battle capable creature.

Plus, in an Orks vs Nids situation, the Nids would win since they eat and digest everything, even the Ork spores, so saying 'orks have spores' becomes a total moot point since they'd not be able to replenish that way.

Also.. you've got an entity capable of evolving and addapting to a situation 'on the fly' as it were, developing new genus and biomorphs, while an orks idea of doing the same is strpping more guns to something.

Numbers wise... Orks only have whats on the planet at the time, Nids can call on an entire hivefleet.

Then theres the matter of resources... Orks will only have weapons so long as they've got materials to build it from... Nids can eat anything and break it down to evolve a weapon. The metal on a planet will run out eventually, the biomass will last and sustain a Nid alot longer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts