·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Eisenstein along with Garro?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Those that escaped the Eisenstein alongside Nathaniel Garro are Iacton Qruze, Euphrati Keeler, Kyril Sindermann, Mersadie Oliton and around 70 Death Guard marines.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't there a World Eater on board?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
In older fluff, there was a World Eater aboard actually. Captain Varren, originally led the Eiseinstein but that was in the days where the Thousand Sons were at Isstvan :p I heard that his name has been thrown around alot recently though, so at least we know he is probably going to feature in the Horus Heresy soon!

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
In older fluff, there was a World Eater aboard actually. Captain Varren, originally led the Eiseinstein but that was in the days where the Thousand Sons were at Isstvan :p I heard that his name has been thrown around alot recently though, so at least we know he is probably going to feature in the Horus Heresy soon!
If I remember correctly, Captain Varren was mentioned in passing in Flight of the Eisenstein, I believe he was one of the loyalist World Eaters sent to the surface of Isstvan III.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If I remember correctly, Captain Varren was mentioned in passing in Flight of the Eisenstein, I believe he was one of the loyalist World Eaters sent to the surface of Isstvan III.
Correct, Varren, One of the more interesting Astartes of the World Eater Legion was sent to the surface of Isstvan III. I remember he was one of the first Astartes Tarvitz spoke too about the inpending Virus-bombardment. I`m sure he led the suriving World Eaters, who I believe was slayed by Angron during the final moments of the loyalist rebellion.:victory:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Correct, Varren, One of the more interesting Astartes of the World Eater Legion was sent to the surface of Isstvan III. I remember he was one of the first Astartes Tarvitz spoke too about the inpending Virus-bombardment. I`m sure he led the suriving World Eaters, who I believe was slayed by Angron during the final moments of the loyalist rebellion.:victory:
Spoliers
It was Captain Ehrlen (not Varren) of the World Eaters that Tarvitz spoke with. Ehrlen was later killed in the inital ground fighting. As far I i'm aware Varren has not yet been mentioned in the Heresy Books. I really hope he does get a part to play.

There are still loyalists alive on Isstvan and maby he is one of the survivors.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Spoliers
It was Captain Ehrlen (not Varren) of the World Eaters that Tarvitz spoke with. Ehrlen was later killed in the inital ground fighting. As far I i'm aware Varren has not yet been mentioned in the Heresy Books. I really hope he does get a part to play.

There are still loyalists alive on Isstvan and maby he is one of the survivors.
Indeed, my mistake; however with the difference of name, my point still stands, with reference to the actions upon Isstvan III. In the aftermath of the bombardment Ehrlen and a portion of his remaining World Eaters staved off an assault by Angron so Tarvitz could achieve.... something.:)

Don`t quote me, because my Galaxy in Flames has not been read for a long while, and I`m not forking it out just to prove a minimal point:victory:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You know this how?

I thought it was just rumours and hints or is it a confirmed fact?
It is still rumour, but I think highly, from hints by several authors, that our ever-immortal protagonist Garviel Loken may still survive, alongside possibly Ancient Rylanor, the Emperors Children Dreadnaught, as hinted in Fulgrim as well.

This may somehow be intertwinned with Garro`s covert ''mission'', the founding of the Grey Knights and so forth, but realistically this is just the Black Library enthusaists variant of wish-listing:)

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Indeed. But I know for a fact that Captain Varren of the World Eaters was mentioned in passing in Flight of the Eisenstein, i'll flick through when I get a chance and get a page reference. But you are right in regards to Ehrlen being the World Eater in command of the loyalist World Eaters on Isstvan III rather than Varren.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
As Bobss stated, this has been strongly hinted at. Dan Abnett has confirmed that Loken is still alive and hopfully a few others survived with him.
Source me to this, because to my recollection he has said it is a possibility.

A possibility may i add that I hope does not become a reality. I liked Loken, beleive me i thought he was a great charactor, but the dead should stay dead, it was a clever and succinct ending in my opinion and left the story fresh and interesting.

To make a plant grow stronger you have to clip off the dead wood to let the newer shoots grow, I think loken torgadden and tarvitz are charactors that should be pruned away to allow others such as garro, and i hope nero vipus, to grow and embellish the story

·
Registered
327 Posts
Source me to this, because to my recollection he has said it is a possibility.

A possibility may i add that I hope does not become a reality. I liked Loken, beleive me i thought he was a great charactor, but the dead should stay dead, it was a clever and succinct ending in my opinion and left the story fresh and interesting.

To make a plant grow stronger you have to clip off the dead wood to let the newer shoots grow, I think loken torgadden and tarvitz are charactors that should be pruned away to allow others such as garro, and i hope nero vipus, to grow and embellish the story
Dan himself on his blog (6th paragraph down) http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/search?q=loken

and Aaron on his blog (the duck's 5th answer!)
http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/

I undersatnd what you are saying Death, but personally I think Loken still has a lot of story to tell. I'm very much looking forward to his return.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Thanks i only saw his video interview, i am not a blog person so dont keep up with them.

All i can say about this is DISLIKE, so so DISLIKE

I thought his death was dramatic and symbolic of Horus's complete turn to chaos and also away from reason. The rock of stability in the mournival dead, symbolising Horus spiralling out of control.

So yes I'm angry about that

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Dan himself on his blog (6th paragraph down) http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/search?q=loken

and Aaron on his blog (the duck's 5th answer!)
http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/

I undersatnd what you are saying Death, but personally I think Loken still has a lot of story to tell. I'm very much looking forward to his return.
Also, in Fulgrim, onboard the Andronius, Lucius, once questioned on the fates of the other Astartes by Eidolon remarks upon the deaths of Tarvitz, Loken and Torgaddon, but also notes how before the loyalist rebellion was hammered out, Ancient Rylanor went in search of what he believed was an Aircraft hanger (Or something of a similar sort) deep beneath th ruins of the Choral City.

I hope Loken does indeed return. Though lacking compared to the personality of Torgaddon, some minor role, possibly alongside Garro would be sufficient. Though I hope he dosen`t serve any form of major role; such as being within the company of the Emperor and Sanguinius during Horus` final gambit. Will he be the lowly Astartes who`s death provokes the Emperor`s wrath? I fear so, though I pray its Aximand.:)

Whilst reminiscing of the original Sons of Horus, I cannot wait until Nemesis to see them in action, once more:victory:

I thought his death was dramatic and symbolic of Horus's complete turn to chaos and also away from reason. The rock of stability in the mournival dead, symbolising Horus spiralling out of control.

So yes I'm angry about that
I can totally understand that. I thought the finale of Galaxy in Flames, in which the dividing fractions of the Mournival are pitted against one-another in mortal-combat, from the unity of Horus Rising, and the slow fracture of False Gods was a fantastic; the pinnacle of their struggles and the final defiance of the old Luna Wolves battered beneath the newly risen storm of Horus.
So to bring a character back, irks me, although I still doubt Loken will return in any resounding way, more akin to Garro (The Grey Knights Chapter?)

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I have also expressed concern about Loken returning, but I have more or less come to terms with it now, even though I would rather it if he had died to really express and emphasise the betrayal of Horus and the death of the Great Crusade.

All we can do now is hope that he isn't brought back in a cliche and unbelievable way, and that he really reconnects in with the series and the events.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Honestly I think that bringing Loken back will be the biggest mistake in Horus Heresy history. However, as to Varren: Can you give a rough estimate on where abouts he is mentioned Child? I honestly cannot remember anything about him in Flight, nor much on the World Eaters at that. Perhaps it is the audio book?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts