1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White Scars List – 1750

Running this list in June.

Intent:

Bikes plus Character Run together – Outflank if viable.
Three Pods – 2 in turn 1 – either 2 Tac or Tac plus Dread – 1 Pod in Reserve
Storm/Scouts and Landspeeders Run together.

Vast mobility – Heaps of troops.

HQ:

Khan on Bike

Troops:

10x Tac – (PF, Flamer, Multi Melta) – Pod(Launcher,Beacon)

10x Tac – (PF, Flamer, Multi Melta) – Pod

5x Bikes (2x Melta, PF) and Attack Bike(Multi Melta)

5x Scouts (Bolters, Heavy Bolter)

Elites:

Dread (Multi Melta) - Pod

Fast:

Storm (Multi Melta)

2x Speeders (Assault Cannons, Multi Meltas)

1x Speeder (Assault Cannon, Multi Melta)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
HQ:

Khan on Bike
What about a command squad to run with Khan. I think it would boost your cc ability and make for a scary unit.

Troops:

I'm not sure what the launcher is. I think the beacon is better served on the scouts with the storm. Look at going combi flamer/melta to boost the unit. I think the combi melta will give you the chance to pop armor on the drop.

You are running a ton of anti armor but not much anti horde. What about putting a flamer in each of your bike squads. You have a MM and another MG. If they don't get the job done well you might have bigger problems.

Elites:

Fast:

Storm (Multi Melta)

I think bang for the buck the AC is over priced. I would use the MM/HF combo

What about making this one a typhoon?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you're deploying your scouts in the storm, then you lose out giving them the bolter/heavy bolter combo. Try running 4 shotguns and a vet with power weapon and/or combi-flamer, then dropping them on an objective. The storm really needs to be armed to support an assault, not drop them and then go tank hunting (I assume that's what your other speeders are for) so give it HB or HF rather than the melta.

I don't see why you have given all 3 speeders the same armament and then split them 2/1 - either run them as a single squadron or change the weapon load out (try running a typhoon with MM for tank hunting and 2 Tornadoes with AC & HF for anti-troop).

Again, I don't see why you have given all your sergeants a PF. IMO Power Sword & Meltabombs works better on tactical squads - for the same points, you get the extra attack (at I4) against infantry, and can still take on a vehicle if you have to.

I second the move to drop one of your bike squadrons in favour of a bike command squad. Apothecary, Champion, Standard and 2 flamers backing up the Khan is going to dish out a world of hurt to MEQ and GEQ alike.

I think you're on the right lines with this, but you are focussing too much on anti-armour. Where Whitescars (and Ravenwing) armies really suffer is against horde armies that can deny their mobility by swarming huge areas of the board, effectively bogging them down in one assault after another against cheap disposable troops. You will also have a hard time against *any* infantry heavy army in objective based missions, since you lack the both anti troop firepower to clear objectives and the manpower to take and hold them (although the drop pod marines make up for that somewhat, they are not really armed for ground clearance)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't see why you have given all 3 speeders the same armament and then split them 2/1
ummm, could it be so that the 1 doesn't suffer a destroyed result on an immobilise damage result for being in a squadron? I'm sure the OP would have put all three in seperate units if he could, but he has the storm.

I second the move to drop one of your bike squadrons in favour of a bike command squad. Apothecary, Champion, Standard and 2 flamers backing up the Khan is going to dish out a world of hurt to MEQ and GEQ alike.
CHRIST NO! DO NOT get a command squad! Yes they are scary as balls and they can take out most things in their path. But they are REALLY expensive and will die from one well placed str 8+ template. If you don't want that to happen you have to buy SS, putting the cost up even more. At 2000 points maybe, but at 1750 it is not a good move.

I think you're on the right lines with this, but you are focussing too much on anti-armour. Where Whitescars (and Ravenwing) armies really suffer is against horde armies that can deny their mobility by swarming huge areas of the board, effectively bogging them down in one assault after another against cheap disposable troops. You will also have a hard time against *any* infantry heavy army in objective based missions, since you lack the both anti troop firepower to clear objectives and the manpower to take and hold them (although the drop pod marines make up for that somewhat, they are not really armed for ground clearance)
Absolutely spot on! This is in essence the biggest problem with bike armies (that and you can't go into terrain to claim objectives with out running the risk of killing yourself) Good shout!

White Scars List – 1750

Running this list in June.

Intent:

Bikes plus Character Run together – Outflank if viable.
Three Pods – 2 in turn 1 – either 2 Tac or Tac plus Dread – 1 Pod in Reserve
Storm/Scouts and Landspeeders Run together.

Vast mobility – Heaps of troops.

HQ:

Khan on Bike
Captain on a bike is cheaper and does more for this points. Think about a relic blade as minimum, but if points allow; arty armour and ss.

Troops:

See Below

Not a fan of podding marines, but I know that they have thier uses. I take it the "launcher" is the template weapon upgrade? Power fists are worth the points and they should be taken when points allow. Nothing will change my mind of this fact. He can't be picked out in combat, and your opponent has to go through nine other guys before he reaches him. Rhinos might be a better choice.

See Below

I prefer the full bike squad. It gives you the ability to combat squad with all your melta in one squad and the fist in the other. Send the melta tank hunting and use the other half to claim objectives and generally be annoying.

Seriously? Why take a storm for these guys. If you want to put these guys in a storm then make them all BP + CCW, with a PF. This way if you get first turn, you can scout (24"), move (12"), disembark (2") and assault (6"). That is a 44" assault move on the first turn. You can take out R:AV 10 vehicles with the fist and the krak grenades, or you can charge an infantry unit that is not ready for an assault (e.g. Devastators, Lootas, Dark Eldar warriors, etc.). Chances are you will win the combat and chase them off the table with -2 leadership from the storm. If you don't get first turn, outflank and then do the latter late in the game to claim an objective.

Elites:

Needs to be MM HF. That way you can deal with what ever is in front of you when you land.

Fast:

Storm (Multi Melta)
HF is needed. The BS is 3. Sod's law you will miss with the MM, so take a HF where you can't miss.

See Below

I agree that this should all be MM HF. The speeders should be moving 12" a turn, this means you only get to fire one weapon. With the MM HF you have the best of both worlds with versatility. You could even deep strike them if you really wanted to.
Overall it is not too bad. I would lose Khan. The only reason for him is his outflank or when combined with a command squad. You have no command squad, and outflank is unpredictable at best. Bikes can turbo-boost. You can move 24" get a 3+ cover save against everything and you know you will be where you want to be in a turn, rather than waiting in reserve trying to get on the table.

With the savings from the speeders and the storm and khan, you should be able to get the power fist for the scouts and maybe some combi-weapons for your sergeants.

If you need any more help, click on the link in my signature to go to the tactica or PM me.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Overall it is not too bad. I would lose Khan. The only reason for him is his outflank or when combined with a command squad. You have no command squad, and outflank is unpredictable at best. Bikes can turbo-boost. You can move 24" get a 3+ cover save against everything and you know you will be where you want to be in a turn, rather than waiting in reserve trying to get on the table.
Actually, this is a very good point, and one I hadn't thought of. In my earlier post I mentioned bike armies getting bogged down against horde armies - the Combat Tactics ability of a regular captain gets around that, since it can give your bikers a kind of cut price Hit And Run. Plus, you can equip your captain as you see fit- either save points compared to the Khan, or go for a different load out (Relic Blade and Hellfire Ammo is always nasty)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts