Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a 1750 army I'm thinking of bringing to a friendly (yet still very competitive) beer drinking tournament my group is throwing. Lots of xenos present in this group. Possible opponents could be anything in Necrons, DE, Eldar, Orks, Nids, SW, GK, IG, and/or Ultramarines. Probably no more than 3 or 4 imperial armies including this one though.

WHITE SCARS:

Khan
Command Squad (Bikes, Apothecary)

5x Bikes + Attack Bike (Combi-Grav, 2x Grav)(MM)
5x Bikes + Attack Bike (Combi-Grav, 2x Grav)(MM)

Mk V Mortis Dreadnought (2x TLLC)

Thunderfire Cannon

Typhoon Speeder (HB)
Typhoon Speeder (HB)

CLAN RAUKAAN (Iron Hands):

Chapter Master (Bike, Artificer, Gorgon Chain, Thunderhammer)

5x Scouts (Camo, Snipers)

Mk V Mortis Dreadnought (2x TLLC)

Ironclad (2x HF, Drop Pod w/ DWML)

=1750 on the nose

I'd love to hear comments and suggestions!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with some of the stuff in here, the TLLC Mortis dreadnought is out of Imperial Armour 2. It costs ten points more than a regular dreadnought kitted out with a TLLC and a missile launcher, but instead has two TLLC arms and when it doesn't move, it gains Skyfire and Interceptor.

The only other thing not in the Space Marine codex is the Gorgon Chain and the ability to take dreadnoughts as heavy and elites without a MotF. That is out of the Clan Raukaan supplement. The Gorgon Chain is 5 points less than the Shield Eternal and grants the bearer a 3++, +1 to FNP, and Eternal Warrior. The downside is when my Chapter Master loses a wound it goes down to 3++ and Eternal Warrior. After losing two wounds it's just a 3++. After 3 unsaved wounds it's a 4++. The good news is his It Will Not Die rolls effect this table immediately so he can always go back up. So riding with Khan and his Command squad my Iron Hands Chapter master will have a 2+/3++ with a 4+ FNP and a 5+ It Will Not Die and Eternal Warrior.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. I paid like 80 bucks for an Imperial Armour book to run things like the Mortis Dreadnought and GW isn't going to fuck that up by typing up something that a guy jotted down on a sticky note in their office one day. J/K. Our play group is pretty fair about playing unit entries as they appear in the codex so there isn't an issue about the IA2 book entry on the Mortis. Sometimes we have to go to an FAQ when things get stupid out dated like the old 5th edition books.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Also, it seems the update left out some key information. I typed Mortis as short for the Mark V Mortis Pattern Dreadnought. The update shows an entry for a "Mortis Dreadnought" complete with different base costs, upgrade costs, and special rules (or lack of).

So I'll just rename mine in my army list as Mark V Mortis Dreads and the DA can keep their cheaper "Mortis Dreads" that lack the Helical Targeting Array. :grin:

Also, what's the date on your link there? Your entry for the Mortis doesn't have hull points.... IA Volume 2 does. It says the Mk V Mortis is an elites choice for DA. It also says Codex: Space Marines, Astral Claws, and Siege Assault Vanguard can take one per detachment as an elites choice.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
There's another link that updates the one I posted with HPs and Skyfire if you don't move. Google will give it to you, I'm on my phone right now and have a hard time managing that much back and forth. I don't have the IA books, but damn I almost wouldn't have painted my Mortis green if that was the case. What a boon to SM anti air.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked it out. The current update on the FW website is all a go for taking a single Mortis per space marine detachment as an elite and as a standard no single limit elites selection for Dark Angels.

The rules and points are a bit different now from the one you have though. I'm not allowed to spell it all out, but the base cost is ten points higher than the update you posted and the upgrades in order are -5, -10, -20, and -5 points respectively from your update's listing. It also can't take a standard drop pod anymore, but can take a Lucius. Paint that bad boy and spread the love man!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I just..ah...got...the book.

Why the hell is all the nice stuff never allowed for Blood Angels, damn it. Forget it, they're staying green...at least now the TLLC one is 10 points less than I have been playing it at. That's almost another CML for my Deathwing!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great book isn't it? Love all those super heavies too. :wink: And I'm pretty sure FW hates Blood Angels. At least they got all those super awesome formations in Shield of Baal and White Dwarf...

So what do you think about the original list now?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Personally I don't like Land Speeders but it's a tight list. Very light on models, though I've played with far less and still won. Just gotta pay attention to that all-important movement phase. Your Command Squad is the only one that sticks out to me, but only because they 4 dudes that don't give FnP are meat shield for Khan and the Chapter Master instead of having sweet (but expensive) upgrades to make them more combat formidable.

Something I noticed in my last game, which was my first using Tactical Objectives, was that my fast squads spend more time jumping around to Objectives for the almighty game-winning points than actually attacking my enemy. Do you think this list is just going to play the standard lists or are you going to run TO's with it? I feel like with the small number of mobile units you might get out-moved in a game where your final resting place on a Objective doesn't matter as much as snagging one mid game and moving away.

FW definitely hates BA. I missed those Formations from the campaign and WD, were they actually worth looking into?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FW definitely hates BA. I missed those Formations from the campaign and WD, were they actually worth looking into?
Not really. I wasted a lot of money and never play games at the points levels it'll take to run those formations effectively.

I do agree that it is very light on models. I also wanted to at least run MBs on the command squad but I'd already dropped so many points into other things. I was just going to use them as meat shields and a few extra bolter shots here and there.

Not sure what objectives we'll use yet. Most likely the standard end of game ones since TOs would take extra time to draw for in a tournament and not everyone has used them before.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The TO's are pretty fun, and don't slow down the game at all. Well...maybe a little the first time, but you get over it fast.

It might be worth it to drop the DWML on the pod for some bombs, just in case you get stuck in against a tough walker. MBs for every bike squad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts