Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Black or White

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you basecoat your minis? Black or White? I've been painting for several years longer then I've been playing. I've used black for everything and I've been very successful. However, I switched to white just recently and it seemws to provide a much cleaner result and more vibrant colors. I'd just like to hear some peoples thoughts and experience with both styles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My only rule for undercoat is "Do not use White undercoat with red colours, It goes pink and it doesn't look good" When i first started i used white but then i decied to use black in case i have to use red.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a bit of a mixed oppinion on this because i use both 50/50 white when i first started painting i did everything with a white basecoat, i think it was the fear of having to paint vibrant colours over black that put me off.
But for me i enjoy using both.

Warpath

·
Registered
128 Posts
White painting imperial fists is hard enough without making it worse, lol, and my nids are fairly bright colors so i go with whit for them too.

But ive just started on Chaos marins and The Purge do look much better with a black base coat. And im following the painting instruction on the GW website for some dire avengers so their black base coat as well.

For my terrain its normally black base coat all the way.

It really does depend on your painting style and coloring (obvious, lol)

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Army has Black and White units lol. (Standard troops Black and HQs/Elites/Veterans/Special Characters White.)

So Black undercoat for the Black models and White for the White and Black/White models.

The problem is all models will have a dark color or two so I got to hand paint it black on the White Undercoat then I get the painful task of having to touch up the white when I mess up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i use black on evil armys such as chaos and i have used black on tau at one point to paint a test mini but now i dont collect tau ive got sooo many sat around ma house tht i dont want :angry: tis annoying

but painting the brighter armys such as orcs and SM i'd use a white basecoat

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Black every time, even for light coloured models like high elves. I find it gives a better result, even if it is very time consuming to get back to the white...

O wait... i still have a can of bubonic brown left for skaven...Score

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
It depends on what I'm painting, so I'll vote "other", as I do use both Black and White primers.

Never on the same pieces, of course.

·
Registered
905 Posts
umm imagine all the blacklining you have to do that wouldnt be neccesary if you had just primed it black, what if you drybrush over white, it will peek out. And i find that you can still do vibrant colours over black, just a bit more effort needed and it turns out better than if it was primed white. There are some exceptions, you should never try to paint excessive yellow on black primer. It would be just stupid to prime IF black. So ima have to say black.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, its definately interesting to hear peoples differant styles.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah, as cccp said, white shows all mistakes and if you miss something, it'll stand out as white. When it's black, it just looks like shading.

I only ever use white primer when I need a whole army quickly painted yellow.
I use black even for white armour.

·
Registered
361 Posts
it all depends on wot u want, for beginners id say black, as mentioned, u dont have to blackline also if u make a mistake and forget to paint a spot their isnt a glaring white spot, however if ur using light colour and u want somethin vibrant then ur better off using white as it takes less work. although u can get vibrant colours with a black undercaot

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I tend to paint darker things so its mostly black primer for me. If I need some bright stuff like yellow I just add a a few thin layers of a lighter colour for a base before. Eg yellow add some browns, white add grey first.

·
Registered
368 Posts
White simply make models look far too cartoony to me. Black gives a much more realistic cover in my opinion.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I always basecoat the darkest color...not necessarily black though. My marines are white...so I basecoated them grey. My other armies are other colors tha are basecoated black.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Depends. That's not 'other', it's actually 'all'.

Most of the time, black. For my Imperial Fists and Blood Angels, Eldar, some of my orks, some of my WHFB minis, white. For my Wood Elves (at least, the masses of archers), green.

Blacklining? White patches? Pff. Once it's dry (it really has to be dry), stick a really thin paint wash on it (of a suitably dark colour - scorched brown or DA green are good). 'Instant blacklining'.

Except it's not instant. Or black. But you get the idea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts