Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The Cover of the new white dwarf
Am i the only one thats actually really bothered by the fact that they said Dwarfen instead of Dwarven? I would've chalked it up to rumors originally but the same cover is now on GW website. Really? Dwarfs? or is this one of those British English vs American English nuances that comes around once in a while?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope it's Dwarven in the UK too, it just goes to show They spent so little time and effort on this they didn't spellcheck their work.

Look see I'm so angry at this pile of garbage I signed up just to moan a bit.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well after seeing the vid on You tube I can definitely say I wont be buying either white dwarf weekly (as I have no interest in dwarfs) or the heap of crap that is warhammer visions......£7.50 for a picture book mainly full of nids? No thank you

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
The White Dwarf weekly was meh, hardly worth it although the fact that there were rules in it was a positive sign.

Warhammer: Visions was dreadful. Don‘t touch it with a long stick.

Can you get the Weekly one in an electronic form?
No ipad version?
Available in iBooks, but not in the Newsstand, because hey, why the hell would you put magazine into the newsstand instead of the bookstore?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been reading and buying white dwarf for a long time, back in 1990 I started reading it in fact. I have followed it through good and bad times and some pretty awful times but I have stuck with it.

This I'm afraid is the final straw. I am still a fan of GW games and models and do not tend to moan too much in general but this is atrocious. I got my copies of Warhammer visions and the 'new' white dwarf today in the mail as I am a subscriber.

I probably don't need to labour the point as it has already been said. Warhammer visions is astonishing in its lack of meaningful content. It is absolutely unbelievable that the White Dwarf team presumably sat round a meeting table and came up with this idea and they all agreed it would be good.
Nothing more than a collection of pictures, granted they are very glossy and well taken but that is all it is. There is a very small description in three languages accompanying most of them but that is it. Blan shit su is crap and shows a warband of 4 models.
The battle report, if that is what you could call it, is a not even a half hearted attempt at showing what is in the pretty pictures. Again, utter crap!!

Pretty much the whole thing is dominated repeatedly by Tyranid models that we have seen over and over again from different angles.

What are they thinking? £7.50 for some pictures. Utter vacuous drivel with no depth. We all like a decent picture or two depicting drama and action scenes from our games as well as well painted miniatures but this is ridiculous.

The weekly white dwarf is thin and sad. It was read cover to cover in about half an hour. For me, £2.40 for that level of poor writing and lack of substance is just awful.

I am saddened that it has come to this but it looks like the subscription will not be renewed. It is almost insulting to expect discerning persons to consume this drivel.

Maybe I'm just getting old and have been at this toy soldiers hobby for too long or maybe they are aiming at a new target audience of illiterates who just like looking at pictures. :nono:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Spoke to a friend in a South Wales store today (purposely vague here), sales are good on the mags today but feedback is almost unanimously poor

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Spoke to a friend in a South Wales store today (purposely vague here), sales are good on the mags today but feedback is almost unanimously poor
Hey maybe they will fix it......:laugh:...sorry couldn't keep a straight face. This is why I never subscribe to anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I was disapointed when I didn't get my annual subscription for xmas this year and grumbled all the way round the supermarket in Jan where I bought the last ever copy of White Dwarf. Seeing the reviews on the new releases I am glad that I didn't get the subscription now. Visions looks like a gigantic pile of turd and unfortunately I am not willing to drive a 24 mile round trip potentially to buy just a small mag. If I make that effort to drag my carcass to GW to spend my money I think I would rather buy a pot of paint that I need, or a brush or lunch.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I actually had some hope, and still do... as it stands, weekly White Dwarf/release isn't a bad thing, it could get people into stores (even if it's just the digital one). However, the execution's not quite there yet. This week's is a decent enough start though.

It's got the expected release list, which I actually like a lot more in weekly chunks. There's a few decent columns, some discussion and new rules for a model. All in all, 4 of these probably add up to a bit more reading than an old monthly WD. Can be turned into something quite nice with a modicum of effort I think. Add to each issue some of the old popular content (batreps, I'm looking at you), maybe sell an (ebook) bundled version every month.

Visions though... To be honest, it strikes me as something that missed it's sell-by date by 10-15 years. It would've been great to have back in the days of slow and barely-there internet. There's still a lot of pretty pictures, but... yeah. It's got some of what the weekly needs to be good, but substantial content is too thin on the ground and I've no idea how they can turn that one around.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I got both on saturday (am a subscriber).

Tonight, I'm off to cancel that. I don't want to pay money for visions.

I'll probably check the weekly one and decide if there is anything in it I want from time to time, but visions can get lost.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I guess, we'll see about the weekly WD ... if they (Emperor behold) really go down the route to include more rules again in the mag, say for new units or just campaign scenarios etc., then it might even be something people (including me) might enjoy buying. Time will tell.

As for WH Visions ... it is utterly and completely unnecessary, or in Calculon's own words ...

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Bought Visions on Saturday night just to give it a whirl.
Very unimpressed. I've wasted £7.50 on that.

Still, the plus side to the whole episode is that I now know for definite that I'll be saving money each month by not picking it up again.
And based on my opinion of Visions, I'll not even be giving white dwarf the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I saw a visual extravaganza the other week in Cardiff city centre after I ate a whole pizza (from chippy alley) after copious amounts of tequila,
admittedly i'm not sure I would to pay £7.50 for that either..............

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I saw a visual extravaganza the other week in Cardiff city centre after I ate a whole pizza (from chippy alley) after copious amounts of tequila,
admittedly i'm not sure I would to pay £7.50 for that either..............
I think you may actually have paid more ;)

I just sent GW my first ever Nastygram. well see if they even bother responding.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I have the voucher sub, and I for one am happy. I didn't really like the old WD, and I quite liked visions. It was a shame about the nid thing at the front, because I've seen the studio nids the week before in WD, but the rest was cool. I'll never spend money on it, but ill happily pass my vouchers over for it.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts