Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to post my Blood Angels list but I'm seriously thinking of re-doing it.

One thing I'm wondering about is the Whirlwind. Is it a good idea for Blood Angels to even use it? I've used it a few times and still ahve mixed feelings, but I was more or less wondering about everyone else's take on it.

:eek:k:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
From the little experience that I have from playing against them they are pretty useful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's situational. If you only play against Marines and Necrons, it won't be that valuable as both have 3+ saves and high leadership.

It can devastate Guard and Eldar though and do a number on Orks (who are immune to the pinning, but tend to come in large enough numbers that scattering won't hurt you).

The Incendiary missiles are also great for getting rid of Pathfinders, Stealth Suits and the like.

They're also pretty cheap. If you have the spare points, it's certainly a decent way to fill them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree they're useful, but I feel like the points could be better spent on a Predator.

My two cents,

AA

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
In an all-rounder army, they are pretty usefull... Now, if you are using a pair of Baal Preds, then not so useful...

In a BA army, take one, as long as it does not cause you to suffer from lack of anti-tank.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A pair of Whirlies are great for any all-comers list, but for BA's I'm not sure - I'd probably just take a pair of Baal Preds instead.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They can have their uses, but take a a heavy support slot that I feel has much better options for my style of play.

I deal with things that the Whirlwind is effective against with Heavy Flamer Landspeeders and turbo-boosting anti-personnel Attack Bikes...

·
Registered
18 Posts
they are good for 75 points, but if possible get the hyperios conversion from forge world. goes from ST5 AP4 to ST8 AP3.
seriously useful against armoured targets i find. bit limited due to no blast.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Eh. I have two for simply fighting my friend's IG infantry company. I found that they pretty well smush anything that comes in large numbers without power armor. Plus they're fun when you drop a bundle of mines right in front of an opponent's Ork army.

-Dirge

·
Registered
73 Posts
The good thing is that they need no LOS, so park them behind cover. Short of drop pods, they'll be safe all game. If the enemy has them, one unit can protect them. Overall, they deny points to the enemy, nuke some units (incenidery Castellan crushes pathfinders), and a large blast template at Str 5 is not lost on marines- thye get a save, but 6 large blasts in a game is hampering.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think there good if used correctly and against the right army. Other options like the Pred are much more useful in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
if you are playing against guard or eldar they can be really good especially if you play take and hold missions or any mission type that means they have to move as the mine layer can effectivly cut off large areas of the battlefield that your armoured troops can ignore but you will need another anti armour unit or 2

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Well, i used 1 Vindicator and 1 whirlwind against my friends ultras ( i play ultramarines too..) in a 1000pt game and my Vindicator got rid of about 5 marines and my Whirlwind more because it lasted longer because my Vindicator got destroyed...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, i used 1 Vindicator and 1 whirlwind against my friends ultras ( i play ultramarines too..) in a 1000pt game and my Vindicator got rid of about 5 marines and my Whirlwind more because it lasted longer because my Vindicator got destroyed...
I've never fielded a predator without it taking enough fire to shake it, stun it, or destroy the big gun. The enemy usually gets half points if I'm lucky and full if I'm not. However, I've also never fieded a whirlwind that took more than a few shots:grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts