Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a SM codex but as far as I know, in the codex, it states that ATSKNF makes the unit only fall back if they choose to do so, effectively making them immune to morale checks from losing combats/getting shot to hell.

In the BRB on page 33, it severely alters the rule by simply stating that they automatically pass rolls to regroup, are immune to fear and are not destroyed in sweeping advances.

Personally I think they need to just delete this rule altogether, but the GW boyscouts need immunity to one of the most critical aspects of the game that can cripple an army if they play stupidly so the twelve year olds that play them don't ragequit. But thats a rant for another topic.

My question is: Can someone with a SM codex verify that there is, in fact, a difference? And if so which version of the rule do we use? The BRB says codex takes priority by why print that if it wasn't a change to the rule? Or has it been FAQ'd?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
From the very first 6th Ed Update to Codex:SM

Page 51 – “And they Shall Know no Fear...”.
Ignore this entry – refer instead to the ‘And they Shall Know
no Fear...” special rule in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

The new rule really doesn't change it from the old, it just adds a couple of extra things like immunity to Fear and talks about what happens after a regroup.

The rule you might be thinking of is Combat Tactics which allows SM to choose to fail a morale check, that hasn't changed.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
The man's got it. Combat Tactics lets you choose to fail any Leadership check you take. ATSKNF lets you auto-rally, act normally when you rally, and you can't be Swept in combat. 2 amazingly powerful rules.

Midnight

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I agree, do you see Combat Tactics get used much? In my area most blokes don't think to use it.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I was the only vanilla Marines player and I used it every damn game, the one other Marine guy had Khan so couldn't. Most people don't realise it exists. It's one of the few things I regret about switching to the proper DA Codex...

Midnight

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree, do you see Combat Tactics get used much? In my area most blokes don't think to use it.
A few of the marine players around here use it, mostly as a poor man's Hit and Run during the opponent's assault phase to fall back and then shoot at the assaulting squad. (of course since I often play eldar in those situations I usually prevent the fall back test because of my higher I).

I have never had much use for it with my own marines, although I could see where intentionally taking a fall back test during the shooting phase could be useful if you needed the extra movement.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
A few of the marine players around here use it, mostly as a poor man's Hit and Run during the opponent's assault phase to fall back and then shoot at the assaulting squad. (of course since I often play eldar in those situations I usually prevent the fall back test because of my higher I).

I have never had much use for it with my own marines, although I could see where intentionally taking a fall back test during the shooting phase could be useful if you needed the extra movement.
My tactica on Tactical Squads (look down... Yep, just there) explained this; the biggest use is to avoid combat in the first place. If, for example, you have Paladins within 7", they either shoot you and risk you running away or charge and take extra Overwatch/attacks (Paladins probably won't care, but Boyz or Termagants do). It's better than Hit and Run in this case as you don't need to weather a round combat first.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I see it used by the SM players I know. Combined with the auto-regroup of ATSKNF, it can get a little annoying but not terrible.

I was the only vanilla Marines player and I used it every damn game, the one other Marine guy had Khan so couldn't. Most people don't realise it exists. It's one of the few things I regret about switching to the proper DA Codex...

Midnight
Yeah, the none-Codex Marines don't get it. But in the case of my Blood Angels I really don't want to fall back. They want to keep pressing that assault. Of course, not being able to pull back the tactical units can be a hindrence.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't own a SM codex but as far as I know, in the codex, it states that ATSKNF makes the unit only fall back if they choose to do so, effectively making them immune to morale checks from losing combats/getting shot to hell.
This little tidbit is a rule granted by Marneus Calgar called God of War. All units with the Combat Tactics rule (which is all non-vehicle models except LotD) get to choose to pass or fail their morale checks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts