Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just finished Soul Hunter and I want to start two more space marine chapters. I already read the Soul Drinkers series. I'm thinking salamanders for sure. But there are so many series that I don't know which to choose. Any advice on other series?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Salamanders and Blood Angels are both excellent choices. Salamanders you can start with the first Tome of Fire novel Salamander. The Blood Angels series can be started with the omnibus, then Red Fury and Black Tide.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I wouldn't inflict the space wolf omnibus on anyone, the writing is appalling however for information on customs and a pretty neat story line you cant beat it.

What did you think of the soul drinkers omnibus, i've never read it but I've heard good reviews?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want read something really excellent about SM than read Helsreach [by Aaron Dembski-Bowden] from SM Battles series. it is stand alone book but it is the best SM novel in my opinion and one of best BL books.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm reading Helsreach right now and its great! I thought the Soul Drinkers omnibus was great! It was my first SM chapter to read about and I caught on fast. The Soul Drinkers are in the middle of space marines and chaos space marines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Salamander and Blood Angels sound good, but I was thinking Grey Knights since I like mutants. Is the Grey Knights omnibus good?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Helsreach is a great read - for Imperial Guard and the Titan Legions. I didn`t find the Black Templars particularly impressive. Well, I say ''Impressive'' what I mean is, sure I rooted for them, laughed at the occassion joke, and fell wholeheartedly in love with Jurisian, but still didn`t feel their zealotry passionately enough. Such said it dwarfs Rynn`s World and Sons of Dorn. Salamander and the God-damned Horus Heresy are the creme of Astartes fiction, though one could biker how Heresy novels should not be rated against 40,000 fiction :S

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Salamander and Blood Angels sound good, but I was thinking Grey Knights since I like mutants. Is the Grey Knights omnibus good?
Yes, the Grey Knights Omnibus is good. The first novel is what you'd expect from Grey Knights (daemon slaying and all that good stuff), but the second and third are really creative and put the main character, Alaric, through his paces. Most importantly, the writing was good (Ben Counter, who also wrote the Soul Drinkers Omnibus).

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
I just bought the Soul Drinkers Omnibus. Im a bit skeptical as many didn't like Battle of the Abyss. But I did like
Hammer of Daemons
(a Grey Knight novel) and
Galaxy in Flames

Can anyone give me any insight on the Blood Angels Omnibus? I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard that many either don't like it or think its alright. Some ratings would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The first 2 books of the Blood Angels series are ok, nothing outstanding, but the last 2 (Red Fury and Black Tide) are a serious step up in quality.

Personally I don't think Salamander is as good as some people make out, sure it's better than some SM novels like the Soul Drinkers and first 2 BA books but in my opinion it's not as good as either of the Space Marine Battles books or the Ultramarines series.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
While it is not a part of any series, Brothers of the Snake is an exeptional read. It reads kinda like an anthology where each story is linked, so the plot is constantly moving and no Marine is really safe from death. Salamander, is probably my favourite novel from BL, so I am sure you can understand that I am a tad bias with that :)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The first 2 books of the Blood Angels series are ok, nothing outstanding, but the last 2 (Red Fury and Black Tide) are a serious step up in quality.

Personally I don't think Salamander is as good as some people make out, sure it's better than some SM novels like the Soul Drinkers and first 2 BA books but in my opinion it's not as good as either of the Space Marine Battles books or the Ultramarines series.
I really liked the first two Blood Angel novels, thought they were very good and show how devoted to the Primarch, or someone who appears to be him, the Space Marines can be, they'd betray the Chapter if the Primarch asked, or at least convinced them.

Now if James Swallow would just give us a Flesh Tearers series about Sergeant Noxx and his men i'd be overjoyed :grin:.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well I just ordered the Blood angels omnibus. Should be here in about a week and a half. I'm going to save the rest of my money to buy both Space Marine and Kill Squad from the Black Library's Print on Demand section. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts