Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting out with warhammer 40k and I don't know if I should go out and buy brand new Citadel paint. The model paint I have is Testors model paint and I'm not entirely sure if they will look like crap or not if I paint my Space Wolves with it. What should I do?

This is the kind of paint I have (I have several more colors though and I found this pic on the internet)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Gah! No, chuck that stuff out the window.

Don't use enamel on miniatures-- it's not designed for fine detail, and it'll make them look chunky and clunky. It also leaves a high-gloss finish, which most folks don't care for.

You're after water-soluble acrylics for miniature painting. Citadel is mediocre at best, and is rather overcosted. It also is poorly packaged-- pots dry out quickly, whereas eyedropper containers don't. If Citadel is the simplest thing for you to pick up, then by all means, go for it-- it's perfectly usable.

However, I'd look into either Vallejo Game Color or Reaper Master Series (the two are functionally identical, right down to range and packaging.) They're superior paints, are packaged in eyedroppers so you have much more control not only over how much paint you're using, but in what proportions, so it's easier to get accurate and consistent mixes. Like I said before, eyedroppers don't dry out, either, since there's little to no air exposure in them. They also tend to run about $1-$2 US cheaper than a pot of GW paint. I pay $2.00 for a thing of Reaper Master Series, which is less than MSRP (I think MSRP is $3.00, but don't quote me on that), and Vallejo's MSRP is $3.00 as well, I think. Citadel paint runs $3.75 a pop for the regular colors, and $4.25 for the washes, foundation paints, and metallics.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I will say that I do like the GW mettalics though ... they are great. GW washes are good too.
Agreed. The citadel metallics are the best i've tried and the washes are excellent.

Otherwise i'd agree with everything Son Of Horus said.

(don't chuck the enamel paint out the window though, you might hit someone, and then Son Of Horus will be arrested for assisted manslaughter)

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Havent tried Vallejo, but I've seen a lot of people using them, and since I have a color match chart, I think when I need to reorder colors, i will probably be trying those color ranges instead. I'd assume the dropper containers probably make paint mixing a hell of a lot easier too, dont they?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Havent tried Vallejo, but I've seen a lot of people using them, and since I have a color match chart, I think when I need to reorder colors, i will probably be trying those color ranges instead. I'd assume the dropper containers probably make paint mixing a hell of a lot easier too, dont they?
If you're using a palette to paint, the dropper containers are a godsend. I just wish they sold them in the model shop in town for when i need an emergency paint run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gah! No, chuck that stuff out the window.

Don't use enamel on miniatures-- it's not designed for fine detail, and it'll make them look chunky and clunky. It also leaves a high-gloss finish, which most folks don't care for.

You're after water-soluble acrylics for miniature painting. Citadel is mediocre at best, and is rather overcosted. It also is poorly packaged-- pots dry out quickly, whereas eyedropper containers don't. If Citadel is the simplest thing for you to pick up, then by all means, go for it-- it's perfectly usable.

However, I'd look into either Vallejo Game Color or Reaper Master Series (the two are functionally identical, right down to range and packaging.) They're superior paints, are packaged in eyedroppers so you have much more control not only over how much paint you're using, but in what proportions, so it's easier to get accurate and consistent mixes. Like I said before, eyedroppers don't dry out, either, since there's little to no air exposure in them. They also tend to run about $1-$2 US cheaper than a pot of GW paint. I pay $2.00 for a thing of Reaper Master Series, which is less than MSRP (I think MSRP is $3.00, but don't quote me on that), and Vallejo's MSRP is $3.00 as well, I think. Citadel paint runs $3.75 a pop for the regular colors, and $4.25 for the washes, foundation paints, and metallics.
Sure, I'll go for some of that vallejo stuff. I havent painted them yet luckily. :victory:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts