Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to 40k and will be playing Necrons. I have the battleforce box and want to build up my force to first 1000 points then 2000 and I'll be doing it pretty quickly with just a couple big purchases so I can get to playing. Competitive play sounds like fun and I will definitely play some tournaments once I get the game's basics down, I have an eye towards competitive builds.

I have an idea on what to buy so far, it doesn't take me to 2000 pts. but the units that look good so far are:
Annihilation Barges
Night Scythes
Overlord
Vaguard Obyron

Past that I'm clueless on what to add to my collection. I will be looking at the codex a lot more but there's plenty of options that won't be apparent since I'm a greenhorn. I'm also not too sure on what my options are for general playstyle but some heavy support that can bring the pain at range (even if it's not at really long range) is something I enjoy in any game. I've looked at some of the tactica here (good stuff) and will look more but would like to get some additional and up-to-date opinions.

Any comments on what I need and why those are good picks?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I bought a Lord w/resorb, a box of Warriors, a box of Immortals and a Night Scythe. Gives me a 20 cron blob with a resorb, NS w/10 Immortals, a healthy smattering of scarabs, and a ghost ark with 10 more warriors kicking it with the blob. It's a bit of a one trick pony, but it's around 1k.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Get Zandrekh first, then Obyron won't take up a HQ slot and the old lord has some awesome buffs to offer your army.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah lords with res. orbs should be used in any unit of 7+ model in my opinion. Anhialation barges are brilliant as they can deal with pretty much everything and are surprisingly good AA. Wraiths are good if you want a CC unit. And I always take a unit of Deathmarks with a cryptek harbinger of despair with veil of darkness as they are great at taking out pesky units. Personally, I'm not a fan of Immortals, on paper they seem loads better, but when you have ghost arks running around, my immortals seems to do nothing compared to the equivilent points in warriors

·
Registered
959 Posts
Get Zandrekh first, then Obyron won't take up a HQ slot and the old lord has some awesome buffs to offer your army.
While both are good, they are rather point heavy in small games.

What you should get after the battleforce is a Command Barge/Annihilation Barge kit. It comes with an Overlord included and you can easily swap between vehicles if you need to.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am surprised no one has said anything about Wraiths. They are fast, scary, and hard to kill. Everything that Necrons need to be.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Triarch Stalkers.

Why? They tend to fuck up most people's target priority order. They're a significant psychological tool.

Inexperienced opponents will tend to target them too early, wasting precious early game resources on taking out what is really a mid-priority unit.

Experienced opponents tend to wait too long or not be in the right place mid-game to stop them, allowing them to roam a bit and do damage.

The amount of times an opponent will kill them at exactly the right time is so rare no matter how experienced IMO.

However, just 1 won't really do you any good. 2-3 is minimum really, which is probably why they're underused.

As for Wraiths: not having any is a crime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great responses, it's appreciated.

Good news on the wraiths. They look good and I was wondering what my close combat options are.

I read about the Triarch Stalkers in one of the tactica posts. I think they'll be in my first order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts