27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I bought the Chaos battleforce and have :

-8 Bersekers
-5 Possessed Marines
-15 Chaos Marines
-1 Rhino

By adding a HQ unit to that I can make a 1000 oints army which is my goal at the moment (I'm starting playing the game...)

The problem is, I can't decide between Chaos lord, Daemon Prince and Chaos Sorcerer.

DP is awesome (combat AND psychic powers) but being a monstrous creature, I fear he will be a too big target in a 1000 points game.

CL seems pretty fluffy for my Black Legion themed army and could join the berseker or the possessed marines for protection but would leave my army without any psychic powers.

CS seems a bit costly but would add some versatility to my army.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Chaos lord with a Mark of Khorne, BloodFeeder and a Juggernaught X3

on a more seirously note

a DP is still viable but he does have a bullseye on him
CS is kinda lame... you dont "Need" phsycic powers never been a fan of them myself

i would go for a CL (that one i said above could be a little expencive for you... drop the juggernaught x3)

but that Chaos lord i listed will either wipe out entire units by himself, or kill himself in the process (AKA you should be rigging your dice if you use him xD)

a Chaos lord with a Bloodfeeder has 4 atatcks base + 2d6 (+1 for charging and +1 for a juggernaught)
this means you will have 8-18 attacks in total x3 (rolling a one will make you wound yourself)
of corse that will DEFIANTNLY putt a bullseye on him x3

Chaos lord imo, make him a Khorne one, proabbly but LC's on him and let him rip up some followers of a faluse emporor (fail spelling...)

the Bloodfeeder is fun :3 (when/if i make a Chaos army its goin on my lord :D)

·
Registered
941 Posts
in my first 1,000 point game I used a termie lord w/ daemon weapon and combi-melta, you could give him MoK and have him in a squad with the zerkers, but drop the termie armor if you want him and the zerkers to ride in the rhino!(you probably will):biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you haven't used all of the space marine sprues, with a bit of conversion you can make a CL with daemon weapon and CS with force weapon and plasma pistol. There are some wings in a possesed sprue that you really do not need on a possesed, so you can use those on a CS/CL. There should be at least one power sword you can use as a daemon weapon for CL. With a bit of conversion you can use paper clip and icon leftovers from csm sprue to make a force weapon for CS. You will have two unique HQ miniatures which is always nice to see on a gaming table :eek:k:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, can I please just get this out into the open before it drives me mad. People have to read the codex again on the daemon wepons, they need both hands in order for the weilder to use it. So you cannot have a daemon wepon and a combi-melta read through the codex again if you think i'm wrong.

On a relative note, if you're looking to win games field the Daemon Prince, give him wings and think carefully on what mark and physcic pwoer you give him. Mark of nurgle and warptime is a good stepping stone for begginners, later on you can use the more complex mark of slaanesh and Lash of submission. He does attract some fire power but if you're smart enough and use the wings and cover to you're advantage you can get stuck in pretty darn quickly. Where the daemon prince can shine and really tear things up, including vehicles. Because of his 2D6 for penetration because he's a monstrous creature.

Chaos Lords are the more fluffy choice, and you can really have a lot of fun with these guys experimentally. They have a wide variety of wargear at their disposal so it may take a while for you to choose what to give them. A really fun way to go is Khorne with the Bloodfeeder run him with you're breserkers in the rhino and when they get into close combat well. It's blood for the blood god. Another mark I find interesting is the Mark of Slaanesh, it's daemon weapon really is a character hunter. It inflicts an instant death on anything it wounds, that's just dangerous. Run him without terminator armor and put him in the rhino to get him around quickly. Or give him some terminator armor to make him last longer. Their fun and fluffy for a black legion list, but not as competative or as useful as the daemon prince.

Lastly is the Chaos Sorcerer I really think GW wasted their time on this one. The sorcerers are easily out matched by the daemon prince in the case of their physcic powers and in close combat are beaten by both the lord and the Daemon Prince. I guess if you decided to run him you would best give Mark of Slaanesh and lash of submission and a bike. Because he's not much good anywhere else, I don't particularly like them.

In my opinion go for the Daemon prince, it is a bullet magnet but if you play smart you can keep him out of enemy range and Lign of Sight. Then quickly ram him into close combat with his wings, he's just beastly. If you decide to go with the Chaos Lord than you can have fun with him and experiment, he's OK. Don't go for the sorcerer honestly as a begginer.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, can I please just get this out into the open before it drives me mad. People have to read the codex again on the daemon wepons, they need both hands in order for the weilder to use it. So you cannot have a daemon wepon and a combi-melta read through the codex again if you think i'm wrong.
Hope this helps
:ireful2:
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but just because the Daemon Weapon requires 2hands to use doesnt mean he can't take a combi-melta. Because it requires two hands just means he will never be able to get the extra attack for 2 cc weapons because you can't have dual daemon weapons. Since a Combi-Melta is a RANGED weapon the Chaos Lord CAN take it and is actually a lot more useful than a pistol since he can't get the extra attack in CC.
P.S: Before you go people to start reading the rules maybe you should brush up on yours first.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can have a ranged weapon still. If you couldn't, the rules would say so. And they sell models with daemon weapons in one hand and pistols in the other.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The codex's rule on daemon weapons aren't clear.

Says 2 handed, but you can take the combi aswell, else on the chaos lord for example it would say

"You can replace both the Close Combat weapon and the bolt Pistol for a daemon weapon".

but it dosn't, so i guess you can take both.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Dont worry to much about the DP attracting alot of fire, it's a 1000 point game, theres not going to be THAT much long ranging him, luckily the most dangerous range for a DP in 1k pts games is 24"

DP can fly 12, run up to 6 then assault 6. If your lucky thats 24inches, and could get from out of range from bolters straight into combat. I think :}

but yeah, dont be worried, DP's are tough, really tough, he wont die as easily as he kills.

DP MoN Warptime !! Can't go wrong :)

hope i helped :D

Can I be uber biased and say...

GET KHARN THE BETRAYER! :p
YES! Blood for the Blood God :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
I totally agree with Rot. There is too much Stigma about Daemon Princes getting shot to hell before they get to do anything. Hide him behind a vehicle as you push forward and give him a cover save.. Makes all the difference

At 1000 pts a DP will make your opponent cry..

Honest!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dont worry to much about the DP attracting alot of fire, it's a 1000 point game, theres not going to be THAT much long ranging him, luckily the most dangerous range for a DP in 1k pts games is 24"

DP can fly 12, run up to 6 then assault 6. If your lucky thats 24inches, and could get from out of range from bolters straight into combat. I think :}

but yeah, dont be worried, DP's are tough, really tough, he wont die as easily as he kills.

DP MoN Warptime !! Can't go wrong :)

hope i helped :D

YES! Blood for the Blood God :D
since when do DPs have fleet o.o?
if you run you cant assult unless you have the fleet USR

my vote is still for the epic Khorne Chaos Lord (with bloodfeeder of corse ;3)
but its still completely up to you Thread maker :3

·
Registered
941 Posts
my vote is still for the epic Khorne Chaos Lord (with bloodfeeder of corse ;3)
I couldn't agree more, DPs start showing up at 1,500 oints and above, chaos lords show up everywhere, and are wayyyyyyyyy more cutomizable, so they can fit in pretty much every army!:eek:k:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah seeing as my last comment didn't offer any tactical advise here it goes.
At lower point levels I would definetly recommend a CL seeing as it can be more versatile at this point level. You should either give him MoS or MoK, a daemon weapon and if you have the points you might might to put him on a daemonic mount if you wanted to. The MoS one is a great multi-wound model and character killer seeing as his daemon weapon causes insta-death and if you want one who can cut through swathes of infantry take the khorne lord and run him with your berserkers in the rhino, this unit will kill LOTS. If you wanted to you could take a daemon prince and give him either the MoN or the MoT, wings and warptime. Both of the Marks give him greater survivability and warptime should help you with those pesky imperial scum who refuse to die. Again, at 1000 points I would definetly recomend the Chaos Lord (preferably Khorne) and once you get to 1500 you could either replace the CL with a DP or just add in the DP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I understood in reading that the daemon wepon requires both hands to use, is that it takes up BOTH hands. Meaning that another close combat wepon or ranged wepon wouldn't be used. It doesn't specifically say that you can't use a ranged wepon but it does say it requires both hands. I may or may not be wrong on this one, but it seems like a loop hole to me to use a ranged wepon because it didnt specify you couldn't. I would clarify this by looking over it again but i'm on holiday, im overseas and didn't bring my codex along with me. Naturally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts