Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which c'tan anyone believes is better?
Nightbriger or deciever?

and should more C'tan and necron troops be released? (ie. necron god of battle or something)

(one troop choice is stupid even if they are "marines that get back up" [yes someone seriously described necrons in that way])

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Nightbringer in my opinion is by far superior.

I really don't see what other kinds of troops they could release for Necrons. I suppose they could release something similar to a Heavy Weapons Team.

I would like to see something similat to a Defiler released or something like the Tomb Kings Tomb Scorpion. Perhaps half man half scorpion and wields a Warscythe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm going to go against the seemingly growing majority here - I just LOVE the Deceiver model! All gold and lovely! I think the Necrons certainly need more models, but the lack of variety at the moment sort of helps to back up the backstory and general theme- every necron is uniform etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I prefer the Deceiver models and rules.

I think that the C'Tan should be Apocalypse datafaxes, not regular unit choices though. They're gods and Apocalypse is the right place for them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They're OK. They can be very tough for certain armies to kill, but they cost a boat load of points making any army with one relatively vulnerable to phase out.

They're also not particularly fast, so a mobile army has a decent shot of just avoiding one.

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
I like the Nightbringer model best.

As for game-wise?

Don't know enough to say.

I will say, though, that while I think Necrons might be more appealing to me from a modeling aspect if there were more Troops choices, it doesn't really seem to fit the fluff, or the feel of the army.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Model and rule-wise I have to say Deceiver. His rules are far better than Nightbringer, he cheaper pts wise, and the model isnt just a Grim Reaper rip-off like Nightbringer. As for troop choices, another type just wouldnae fit, as has been said. More vehicle types would be good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fluff wise they could insert the new troops as more Necrons are awakening, different Tomb Worlds are becoming active. And who knows what else could be lurking underneath the surface.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I had lengthy plans for the next Necron codex that involved the awakening of the Dragon and the Outsider coiming back in. It pretty much gave each C'tan a unit that they could take as troops, some new units, rules changes for the ones that needed it, and a whole lot of new options I call the Mechanicus Hereticus.

It fixes some of the issues of existing units, gives the codex much more variety, and now the C'tan you choose is better in that you can actually build an army around tem and have them be worth their points.

When I have time I might transcribe them from my stuffbook, but don't expect that for a week or two.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The Nightbringer for sure. The Necron army needs more not just more troops but more everthing its like a set army list 1 lord, 2 units of warriors, destroyers, heavy destroyers, immortals and a monolith they are the only units I have ever seen being used in a Necron army.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Nightbringer for sure. The Necron army needs more not just more troops but more everthing its like a set army list 1 lord, 2 units of warriors, destroyers, heavy destroyers, immortals and a monolith they are the only units I have ever seen being used in a Necron army.
Sadly yes. I felt almost guilty when my opponent fielded Wraiths and my Devastator Squad killed them off without even being tied up in combat for a full turn.

Necrons suffer from the problem that what's good is really really good and what isn't tends to suck horribly. As a result there's really only one or two standard army lists out there for them. Players might include some of the bad units for fluff or fun, but they're making a conscious decision to lower their army's effectiveness when they do so.

Hopefully the new codex in '09 will restore internal balance among the unit selections. The list won't seem as monotonous when Necron players have a genuine toss-up between Immortals and Pariahs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the look of the deciever model but (even though I know little about the rules) the nightbringers rules seem far cooler

I also have this image in my head of a red C'tan/cyborg thing with a sword that could act as a c'tan of war

Necrons really need more choices, at least something simple like necrons with guns for arms that have assault 3/or 2 rapid fire shots each or something etc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.