Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but heres another one. :laugh:

I think I have chosen my army, the Chaos Space Marines. My question is does it matter what army I choose? If it does, then I would like to know the difference. If not, then I'll just choose based on the pretty colors. Thanks for all of your guy's help!

·
Banned
135 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. After reading some things, I think maybe The Alpha Legion is best because it is Chaos Unidivided so you have more options. But ... I might have misinterpreted what I read. So I would also like to hear the answers to your question.

·
Registered
800 Posts
its all opinions

theres the 4 cults khorne (world eaters) nurgle (death guard) tzeentch (thousand sons) slaanesh (emporers children)

and then thers the undivided legions like alpha legion or word bearers or black legion e.t.c

alot of them have different rules which you would nead to read up on to help you decide which legion/cult you like... i choose nurgle/death guard because i like the look of the models as there all diseased and ugly haha they can do cool conversions and there the toughest chaos space marines out there.

also to help you choose look at the fluff and the characters, thats another reason i choose death guard coz i really liked typhus model and fluff and there primarchs fluff mortarion

EDIT
it also depends on what kind of army you want like if its a close combat one your better off with khorne or somthing or if its a sorcerous army then tzeentch things like that

·
Registered
202 Posts
The great thing about the new codex is that you can take everything, Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh and Nurgle. All under what ever banner you want.

Using this format gives you the ability to be very well rounded (as well rounded as chaos can be, they tend to lean toward cc).

1-I suggest that you first decide what legion you want. In my opinion you should choose this based on looks (or fluff if you care about it), as you will spending a good amount of time painting it.

2-Next decide what style of play you want.

3-Go through the codex and choose units that fit you're desired game style. I don't pick units based on looks because I can make the unit look like whatever I want it to.

Just some ideas to toss around hope they help and welcome to the dark side:good:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, guys. And Spyder, what exactly is cc? I want to say its crowd control. but I don't think that's it. Also, I think I like Khorne the best. Any special advice that I need? And if the beserkers are melee only, then what should I use for ranged troops, just the regular Chaos Space Marines?

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Personally I've always leaned toward the Death Guard as my favorite Chaos chapter.

First off I like the models. Death Guard and Typus are near the top of the cool model list as far as Im concerned (Ahriman and Sorcerors top the list).

Second off they are toughness 5 which means guard/orks/eldar wound on 6s and other marines wound on 5s. Put them on bikes and other marines wound on 6 as well.

Third... Feel No Pain.. thats a 50/50 chance to ignore regular wounds. This includes even AP weaponry unless they cause instant death. So they ignore Tzentches AP3 bolters, all Plasma weaponry, Tau Ion cannons... yeah.. 50% chance to save against them :)

Fourth... they have extra close combat attacks. So do half the armies out there but that still leaves half the armies out there who you have more attacks than them.

The only down side to them is that they are Init 3 so all other marines will attack before them. But given their toughness, AS, FNP, very few will actually die. The only thing you should avoid is units with alot of power weapons. Otherwise you can outlast nearly every other HtH unit out there including Khorne Berserkers.

Some good suggestions is to give them Plasma weapons as even if the weapon over heats and they fail their save they still get their FNP so its REALLY hard for them to kill themselves. Take more than 10 men. If your going to win HtH with them its going to be because you outlast your opponent not because your killing them in droves. Go ahead and take powefists over power weapons because your Init 3 and will likely strike last anyways. Only things you fear are Str 8+ weapons and power weapons in HtH. With numbers and PFs you can beat anything to death.

Edit: BTW.. your avatar picture is of a Death Guard marine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have made my own personal warband with affilation to the Red Corsairs. Very open ended to use what ever troops I can muster (What I have in my collection ) and not stuck to one theme. I paint each unit differently and use one pad or part of the armor to tie them to the Red Corsairs. Pirates, Freebooters, Mercenaries. What ever the call. I also use the loyalist list as "Othet than" loyal marines but not yey completely or even interested in Chaos. Just my thinking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the old codex, all the legions had their own special rules, units and armoury, especially the four god-specific legions, the Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Emperor's Children and World Eaters. Generally, you had to play a pure force of one of the legions or normal Chaos Space Marines from a renegade chapter. In addition, Daemons to different gods had different rules. For example, Bloodthirsters of Khorne were great in close combat and Lords of Change of Tzeentch were brilliant psykers.

However in the new codex a lot of the restrictions are taken away. Now, you can field a force consisting of any number of units dedicated to different gods amongst each other. Now the legions and Daemons have no special rules, everything is universal and the only factor is what god they're dedicated to and how you paint them, like if you wanted to play Iron Warriors you use Chaos Space Marines painted as Iron Warriors. However the four specifoc legions mentioned earlier have specific units you can incorporate as allies to your main force or play a pure army of them. They are:
Beserkers: World Eaters legion, Khorne, good in close combat.
Thousand Sons: Thousand Sons legion, Tzeentch, highly resilient and very effective against Space Marines.
Plague Marines: Death Guard legion, Nurgle, very tough and highly resilient.
Noise Marines: Emperor's Children legion, Slaanesh, great weapons, better in close combat.

Now, a huge factor in deciding is the paint scheme and the background. Read this before deciding as the Traitor Legions all have great backgrounds. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, guys. And Spyder, what exactly is cc? I want to say its crowd control. but I don't think that's it. Also, I think I like Khorne the best. Any special advice that I need? And if the beserkers are melee only, then what should I use for ranged troops, just the regular Chaos Space Marines?
CC = Close Combat

·
Registered
151 Posts
if u like Khorne the best then get Berserkers, and for ur ranged things, i find a few squads of normal guys with an icon can provide all but the best anti-armour weapons, icon of nurgle to toughen them against enemy, slannesh if u want them to strike faster, but get rhinos and land raiders to shift ur berserkers right into the enemy ASAP, otherwise they'll attract all kinds of fire from the enemy.

PS Berserkers can go toe to toe with Grey Knights, i know, my twelve beat two squads of them and a Dreadnought of theirs :biggrin: melta bombs on an immobolised dread means a big bang :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry if I confused you in any way. That was not my intention.

I am glad that you are looking at Khorne very nice choice, you sadistic butcher you.:biggrin: But in my opinion I would say to look to incorperate more then just Khorne into the army. I personally like the one-two punch of the Death Guard gunline supported by Berzerker close combat units.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I do like to butcher :laugh: Anyways, should I paint my Khorne and Death guard the same color, or should I paint them as their standard colors?

·
Registered
145 Posts
lol, i just edit my post instead of doubling :) id say BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!, that aside thousand sons ap3 bolters are very nice

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
make your own legion of Khorne like I have the Sons of Lorgar

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Dude, make yer own warband, give it yer own flavour, but affiliate it with a certain legion that you like. I am building my own renegade chapter, that are affiliaterd with the Word Bearers. Pious, Chaos loving, in all its glory deviants.. But, I have a thing for Slaanesh, so I have 2 Slaaneshi marked units, just to add my own flavour. Read the codex, find what you like. Perhaps use Wikipedia or some othet source, and get some info on Legions. Hope that helps bro.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so I know that I want Khorne Beserkers in my army, no doubt about that. I don't have a codex yet, so I don't know everything about the Chaos. For ranged troops should I just use the regular Chaos Space Marines? And if I do, should I paint then like the bezerkers? Thanks guys for all of your help.

·
Registered
598 Posts
i say pick an army with attracts you and suits the style your looking for. read through the codex and maybe ask GW staff, im sure they can help
ranged troops can be space marines, or havocs (heavy ranged troops)
as for the painting, the berserkes are kinda like a cohort of there own. you can paint yoru main colour scheme simliar, but not too exact. the beserkes colour scheme makes them looks more important and "devoted" to blood and khorne.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, there aren't any GW stores in AZ, so I'm stuck to the hobby shops with about two rows of Wh40K stuff :( I'm getting to Codex soon. Thanks for all your help to a newb like me guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts