Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Which Chaos Lord is the greatest threat?

• Fabius Bile

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Huron Blackheart

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Typhus, Herald of Nurgle

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Kharn the Betrayer

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Ahriman

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Lucius the Eternal

Votes: 3 4.5%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not including Abbadon because he is the obvious choice. Aside from him, which Chaos Lord from the codex do you think is the greatest threat to the Imperium, and why?

My bet is on Typhus. The Imperium is filled with billions of weak humans just waiting to be infected by a zombie plague. This might not be the biggest threat out there, but it seems like it's the one thats most likely to succeed.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The problem with the Zombie Plague is that with the proper quarantine, it can burn out.

I would would say Cypher, but since he isn't on the list, definitely Blackheart. He is doing some nasty damage to shipping and commerce as well as destroy a Space Marine Chapter or two.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Cypher isn't that big of a threat, IMO. Why would you consider him? Not that there is anything wrong with it, I would just like to know.

Maybe Ahrimon or Typhus.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Typhus, him and his playfully little illness could affect an entire sector of space in no time at all and result in immense casualties from the illness, his followers and the imperium cleaning up.

everyone else can't really cause destruction on quite that scale with as little effort.

don't really see why Cypher would be on the list anyway, he isn't a chaos lord, and his goals are nowhere near any of the above, and his ultimate goal might not be with malicious intent at all.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Im torn between Ahriman the Exile and Fabius Bile personally.

Fabius Bile because if his claim to have unlocked the secrets of the Emperor's work in the creation of the Primarchs/Astartes is true then this alone is a massive threat to the Imperium. He also supplies the Traitor Legions with fresh troops and Astartes thereby making him a massive indirect threat to Imperial interests. As well as that he commands hordes and armies of the 'New Man' spread throughout the Galaxy, who at a command can easily usurp power of planets and systems. The codex also supports me in Fabius' claim: "...it is no suprise that Fabius Bile is considered one of the direst threats the Imperium currently faces." (Page 52).

As for Ahriman, well taking into account his goal of attaining the knowledge of the Black Library (which he came extremley close to achieving during the 13th Black Crusade), which if he achieved he would become nigh-on unstoppable. As well as him being one of the most potent active Chaos Sorcerers.

As for why I didn't consider the rest:

Huron Blackheart is essentially just a powerful pirate lord whose influence only extends to the areas immediatly surrounding the Maelstrom, he offers no dire threat to the Imperium as a whole.

As for Typhus, Lucius and Kharn, well they are all extremley capable and powerful individuals but ultimately they have and never will be in a position where they can single-handedly pose a gargantuan threat to the Imperium as a whole.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think Fabius Blie because reading Black Tide he claims to have found a way to clone the Emperor, if he clones someone as powerfull as the big E the Imperium is fucked.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think Fabius Blie because reading Black Tide he claims to have found a way to clone the Emperor, if he clones someone as powerfull as the big E the Imperium is fucked.
It's one thing to clone the Emperor, another alltogether to manage to corrupt the clone into being on the side of Chaos, otherwise Bile would have done it by now.

Personally I think Typhus, even if his Zombie plague is quarantined he has plenty of other tricks up his sleeve. He was by far and away the most effective Chaos Lord during the 13th Black Crusade, reducing a whole chain of agri-worlds to pestilent slime, starving untold systems.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
For me it was a tossup between Fabius and Ahriman. I thought Fabius for a while because of the fact that he could potentially make an evil emperor clone but in the end voted for Ahriman because supposedly there are rumours that if he got access to the Black Library he could transform himself into a new chaos god. Now an evil emperor is bad and would definitely do a lot of damage, but he would still only be one man (and we know that the original emperor was far from infallible). Having another chaos god to contend with, that is something on a whole other level.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
It's one thing to clone the Emperor, another alltogether to manage to corrupt the clone into being on the side of Chaos, otherwise Bile would have done it by now.
That wouldn't be a problem at all. The cloned Emperor (if such a thing is even possible) would likely be created and corrupted with Chaos energy from the get go, he would be entirely corrupted. A Cloned entity wouldn't have the same environmental factors and morals as the original entity therefore it wouldn't have the same outlook and purpose. So if a cloned Emperor was created, he would probably be nothing like the original Emperor apart from having a similar power level/abilities.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
All of them are pretty destructive. But I would have to go with Typhus, nothing is more terrifying than an contagious incurable disease. Zombie plauge look at any zombie movie, no matter how much quarenteening it gets out.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I don't actually think that creating a cloned emperor is even possible. Just seems lime a stretch for me. Anyway, I am just going for Ahrimon. If he actually managed to access the black library it would probably be a death sentence for the space wolves. You eliminate the wolves and you do some major damage to the imperium. After that I don't know if he could be stoped.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Definately Ahriman. Say what you will about the others but Ahriman plans to be a new chaos god. That is a HUGE threat to the imperium. He also appears very close to this goal unlike other big wannabe threats.

As for the others:

Fabius Bile: cloning the emperor is impossible and seems ridiculous even for 40K. There is no evidence he has even come close.

Typhus: His diseases do kill people BUT once quarantined the plaque stops and he is swiftly sent off by Inquisition.

Lucius: I see no reason why he is a threat.

Kharn: He is just a bloodthirsty maniac-not really one for causing grave danger to the imperium.

Huron: His influence is confined to the maelstrom.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well Kharn is just a killer. He has no grand warband or huge fleet. He just shows up on the battlefield and kills things. Lucius is basicly the same except he just wants a challenge. On the battlefield they are dangerous but little threat to the Imperium on a large scale.

Typhus had his fleet and his zombie plauges. He can do alot of damage quickly and in a short time but ultimately he can be contained. Ahirman is searching for the Black Library at the moment but right now he is more of a threat to the Eldar than the Imperium.

I would have to say it ties between Fabius and Huron myself. Huron may be just a pirate lord but he is a very powerful pirate lord. Going by current fluff he is now besieging the White Scars homeworld in the 5th edition codex and he already destroyed a chapter.

Bile is dangerous because of his genetic research and ability to supply more Chaos Marines to the Chaos Lords.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Typhus: His diseases do kill people BUT once quarantined the plaque stops and he is swiftly sent off by Inquisition.
I think he still wins, his disease would kill millions in a system, and we all know how the inquisition does "quarantine", which just adds to the death toll

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think he still wins, his disease would kill millions in a system, and we all know how the inquisition does "quarantine", which just adds to the death toll
While that is true, the death toll added by the Inquisition is merely statistics, as mister Stalin would say. (The death of a man is a tragedy, but the death of millions is mere statistics.)

Personally, I would have it a tossup between Ahriman and Fabius for the reasons already posted. In that poll, I would probably chose Fabius - because he affects the Legions in so many indirect ways. It's like the arms-dealer of arms dealers.

But there is one thing that kind of puzzles me on that list. Where is Abaddon? He is clearly the number one threat to the Imperium, managing to unite the hordes of Chaos under a single banner. If he would only manage to keep them from killing each other to satisfy the Great Game a little bit longer, he could do even worse damage than he already has. Considering the Black Legion can create its own berzerkers, the World Eaters aren't that important in the grand factor either (although they certainly factor in for something.)

The other heroes are ones that seem to need the support of a grander army in order for themselves to be of any effect. Typhus would need support of his fleet, Lucious... well ok, he simply doesn't die - but still.
Khârn may be a one man killing machine, but will easily die unless he is trailing (or spearheading) another army.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Abaddon is not included because the thread creator stated that he already believed abaddon was the biggest threat to the imperium.

Secondly is it just me or is Abaddon just one of the most boring special characters out there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
lucius if were to get on terra he would be a scourge to get rid of considering he will just keep taking the bodies of who ever kills him. but other than that ahriman

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
lucius if were to get on terra he would be a scourge to get rid of considering he will just keep taking the bodies of who ever kills him.
Dependent on Slaanesh of course though.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Hang on. Since fluff wise whoever defeats lucius gets possessed and then born through them does that mean that if he was fired into the sun then he would in turn possess the sun and blow it apart?

Also if Lucius happened to drown in a natural way (like an avalanche) then who does he possess?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts