Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a break down of the suppose numbers, abilities, tactics, ect of the 4 dedicated Chaos Legions. Thousand Sons, Emperors Children, Death Guard, and World Eaters.

Of these 4 Legions, which one do you think is most well rounded due to the numbers, tactics, weapons, abilities, ect as a Legion? Which one would perform best in all encounters vs Loyalist?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I'd have to go with ECs, WEs are fragmented into thousands of pieces, DG tactics has always consisted of forward assaults, TS are mostly possessed armor and sorcerers.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I'd guess Emperor's children or death guard.

It's disappointing that in the last few editions the Khornate warriors moved from all types of violence were good, to "only assault." In the original source material in Slaves to Darkness there were Khorne heavy weapon squads.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You should look at the Word Bearers instead, according to their own claims they still operate as a Space Marine Legion and have a chain of command. The Dark Council on Sicarus orchestrating the doings of all Word Bearers. Also helps that they are one of the largest legions.

Im of the oppinion that being dedicated to a singular chaos god equals significant loss in tactical flexibility, as you will eventually adopt the idiosyncracies of your patron god and going to extremes to uphold them. The world eaters being an all too obvious example. Sure you might excel at one particular thing, but when out of your safe corner you are dead meat.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was wondering why not include the Black Legion or the Word Bearers? As Brother Lucian noted, the four Chaos-centered Legions are all dedicated to an individual Chaos God, whereas the BL and the WB are both Chaos United, if memory serves, and not tied to any particular dogmatic approach to fighting.

However, given your OP, I would argue the TS, as they're more about scheming/sorcery on the front end, but revert to their old Legion approach of general assault once engaged.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You mean Chaos Undivided. The Word Bearers in particular makes a habit of frowning on the legions that devotes themselves to a singular god, over the whole chaotic pantheon.

That idea does have merit, as when looking from the outside that you usually dont get trapped in the endless battles between the supporters of the respective gods as they engage in the long game.

The Thousand Sons is no longer existing as a legion. Most of them being warbands of rubric marines, each lead by a small coterie of sorcerers. Ahriman and the Prodigal Sons is pretty much the model of what to expect from the Thousand Sons.

The battle for the fang was the last hurrah of the Thousand Sons Legion as an united force.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Think some of you may be missing the point Warlock was trying to make. Obviously the undivided Legions are more versatile. Warlocks basically asking which god would provide the least restrictions to a dedicated Legion.

I'd again probably go with the Death Guard or Emperors Children. The Death Guard whilst handicapped in some ways by Nurgle, don't really have that many restrictions on how versatile they can be. The main problem I imagine they would have is speed.

The Emperors Children to me are more or less the opposite. Can still be quite versatile, but make up for in speed, what they lack in durability. Although even that is questionable as pain for most of them, is just another pleasure which could spur them on to even greater strengths.

Certainly not The World Eaters. Thousand Sons or Tzeentch followers in general are debatable, after all Tzeentch is the God of Change, pretty much versatility defined in some respects.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
IMO the EC have become the most useless of the traitor legions. That's the point though I think. They went from being seekers of utter perfection to a debased legion so far removed from what they once were. All they do now is seek out ways to pleasure themselves.

Our best example of an Emperor's Child in 40k is 'the smiling one' in Abnett's Pariah and he was basically a smiling, egotistical man-child in comparison to the goal-oriented Word Bearers featured in the same story.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Oddly, I would have said the Thousand Sons are most well rounded of the four 'God specific' legions. They have good mid-range fire, which is well disciplined because of the Sorcerers controlling the Rubicae. With their psychic powers they are pretty tasty in a CC fight and I imagine they still have some heavy weapons knocking about. Hell, I don't see why the Rubicae can't wield them the same way they do bolters.

Death Guard come a close second, but they only have one tactic from what I know which is just walk at the thing, tank the hits and bring it down with weight of fire/bodies. Not well rounded, but effective.

Both the Emperor's Children and World Eaters seemed to have degenerated into near uselessness.

Still, pound for pound, out of the four Legions you listed I'd bet on the Thousand Sons over any other.

But, as others have said, some of the Undivided legions are probably more well rounded.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Out of the handpicked? Emperor Children. Death Guard are too infantry, World Eaters close assault Infantry, and Thousand Sons like to play with fancy sorcery.

If I had to pick out of the all, I'd say Black Legion.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I would say the Word Bearers, only because of thier command structure, although it would now seem that Dark Apostles lead the Companies that they are assigned too, with thier Dark Accolytes and Corypheaus's as thier immediate command subordinates.

Although, like any other of the chaos legions there are machinations and the like as seen in Anthony Reynolds trilogy and some of ADB's WB books, yet they are still governed by the law of the upper echelons, in this case Erebus, Kor Phaeron and other members of the Sicarus council.

IMHO they are still the only legion with everything intact, all beit in a twisted way from when they were a "Loyalist" Legion. however with the machinations of Erebus and Kor Phaeron, and the other games played with inter company hierarchy, how they manage to keep this all in check is a mystery in itself, although i would hazard a guess and say fear, fear of what the Council can do to those who step out of line, and fear of what might happen to them if thier father actually returns....

hmmmm bet Erebus and Kor Phaeron would shit themselves if that happened.....

but anyway, i would say Word Bearers

and seeing as i didn't read the OP properly this is a wasted answer really.....crap

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Why would KP and Erebus shit their pants if Lorgar returned? They along with their legion would rejoice. They don't have a desire to lead, just to worship a higher power.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why would KP and Erebus shit their pants if Lorgar returned? They along with their legion would rejoice. They don't have a desire to lead, just to worship a higher power.
In the Word Bearers novels, Erebus leads the Legion within the Eye, and Kor the Legion within the Maelstrom. The Novels play on the idea they always try to out do the other in inner war games and both want complete control.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I would say the evidence suggests otherwise. Not only from the Word Bearers novels but also from the Heresy novels.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Kor Phaeron and Erebus are schemers of the highest order. I well remember the scene from Know No Fear where Erebus gets all pouty at Horus for upsetting his grand plans with the blood angels, and Horus thusly punishes him for his arrogance in trying to dictate him.

I suspect Kor Phaeron never got over the period where Lorgar saw him as his mentor, and only could watch on, left behind as Lorgar eventually streaked ahead and becomming something so far more than him as his mastery of chaos magic increased. Erebus had the same problem with arrogance when he faced Horus after the botched plan of subverting Sanguinius, and Horus punished him for thinking he could dictate a primarch, tearing off his face.

So I think its pretty clear that both of them are glad to not have a Primarch to bow and scrape for, that THEY are the figureheads of the legion. But which have turned them against each other for ultimate mastery of the Word Bearers, but which they would loose in an instant should Lorgar ever return.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts