Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for a competitive player?

I've often wondered this since, competitively speaking, many battleforces will have one or more units that wouldn't appear in a tournament standard list, or even a good semi competitive list. Battleforces are great value for money if you can find a use for everything in the box, but sometimes don't work out to be a saving if you only intend to field three of four units. I'll discuss three of the different factions now but don't know the merits of some of of the others

Tyranids
Not a lot of value for building a competitive list. The termagants are the only unit that is guaranteed to be used, with ymgarl genestealers sometimes appearing in lists, warriors only rarely making an appearance (unit of three for backfield synapse) and hormagaunts practically never. If you include rippers then they probably get even less play than hormagaunts and warriors

In my 1500 point semi competitive list I use warriors, termagants and hormagaunts, and in 1850 I'll add ymgarls for all four units. Neither are competitive lists though

Orks
Two units of boyz, three bikes and a trukk. For me the trukk kind of spoils things here. I'm not sure if trukks have any worth at all any more since, for boyz, you'd have to use a unit barely big enough to be worthwhile just to squeeze into it, and then it's durability in 6th makes it a bad option compared with a battlewagon or just footslogging a far larger shoota unit. The battleforce isn't worth it if you're going to leave the trukk at home, but I'd be interested to hear any different opinions on the trukk. I'm not an ork player so perhaps it still has some use

Imperial Guard
This one seems like good value to me with none of the units being uncompetitive choices. Two infantry squads, platoon command, heavy weapon squad and sentinel. The platoon and heavy weapon squads are safe picks, are sentinels viable? I think they probably are, making the IG battleforce better value than the tyranid and ork ones. This set seems good enough to use more than once in an army

Anybody care to add the others? Remember, this is only regarding competitive play. All battleforces are good value for a painter or for friendly play, but this is about use in tournament standard lists :rtfm:

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
The ork battle force is good if you have a small army or want to expand even larger, but its shit if your like me and have enough warbikers

id prefer to have

2x ork Boy units
1x unit of Killa Kanz
1x trukk

too bad you cant customise your own battle force that would be sick

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The BA one is solid. Ten man tactical in a Rhino, jump Death Company and an Assault Squad. Just add an HQ. Or you can kit bash everything and have a 10 man assault squad and a 10 man tactical squad with a Rhino.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ork battle force is good if you have a small army or want to expand even larger, but its shit if your like me and have enough warbikers

id prefer to have

2x ork Boy units
1x unit of Killa Kanz
1x trukk

too bad you cant customise your own battle force that would be sick
The trukk seems like the problem to me. Too fragile in itself for the current meta, and forces you to restrict yourself to a unit too small for purpose. I guess you could try spamming 6 units of boyz in trukks (all with power claw nobz) for about 900 points and still have plenty of space for other stuff, but would it actually be competitive? Battlewagon spam seems the more viable option

The BA one is solid. Ten man tactical in a Rhino, jump Death Company and an Assault Squad. Just add an HQ. Or you can kit bash everything and have a 10 man assault squad and a 10 man tactical squad with a Rhino.
Yea that looks pretty good. I could imagine two or three of those would form a pretty solid core for a BA army and save the player a chunk of money

The SM box seems to have done a dissapearing act, now we just have a strikeforce as far as i can see.
Yea I noticed that this morning.

In any case, that strikeforce is great value compared to buying the units individually. 140 GBP for 196 GBP worth of models (the vanilla one). Is it worth much to a competitive player though?

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Battleforces generally don't bring a lot to the table competitively, save for a very limited time meta. Anyway, if I HAD to pick one, it'd probably be Necrons.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Anyway, if I HAD to pick one, it'd probably be Necrons.
That one is tits too.

I could imagine two or three of those would form a pretty solid core for a BA army and save the player a chunk of money
I bought two and went from there. The second tactical squad was made into a non-jump pack RAS to be used with RBs or a DP. However, straight out of the box with an added Captain or Reclusiarch you have 500 points (without the 'free' Rhino since that's the amount of discount you get) of BA that is pretty much what you can do at that points level with them. I can't wait until a new dex comes out and I get to make a somewhat more reliable list at that point level for smaller games. With my Imperial Fist army I can take 26 models at 500 points and not feel totally fucked in a game.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The space marine strike force is a solid "all-comers" core that points out between 1000-1300 points depending upon gear, etc. That is right out of the box, includes HQ and everything. That leaves a decent amount of room to add your flavor to the solid core.

IF I were starting up a Space Marine force from scratch, that Strike Force would be my first purchase. The problem with "competitive" space marines is that they are still a solid Jack-of-All trade list that will be decent all the time, but takes some skill to use well.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Dark Eldar Box is pretty good as both a starting point and for making additions to an already existing army.

Dark Angels RavenWing set is pretty good all round.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Dark Eldar is nice, all of it competitive staples except the Wyches who are not awful.

Necrons is really good, everything in it is thoroughly usable. Tau is pretty good; Stealthsuits I could do without, but Fire Warriors and Crisis Suits are thoroughly awesome and Piranhas are still good enough.

Imperial Guard, kind of, but the Sentinel is kind of poor unless you already have a bunch.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'll agree on the usefulness of the Necron, Dark Eldar and Blood Angel ones. Very nice starting points or additions depending on what you need. But the box I am most dissappointed with is the new Eldar one. They kept the core of the box the same but I'd much rather have the War Walker over the Vyper. That may just be me though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts