Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so you are able to change a single rule or area of rules in 40k.

What is the rule and how would you change it?

I'm expecting a lot of people saying get rid of the victory conditions and go back to victory points :)

But my rule I would change doesnt seem big, but its vehicle firing rules. I'd make any weapon str 6 or less a defensive weapon and allow defensive weapons to target a different unit to any main weapons. Not a carte blanche 'they can target anything' but all main weapons target one unit and all defensive weapons target another. Also allow all weapons to fire if a vehicale has moved 6" or less (regardless of strength) and no weapons able to fire if moving when moving over this distance (fast vehicals get an additional 6 on this).

Any more rule changes?

·
4,491 Posts
Vehicles are powerful enough as it is without making them insanely fast multiple gun platforms.
Next step after that is mounting a demolisher cannon on a land speeder that can fire while it turbo-boosts.

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
But my rule I would change doesnt seem big, but its vehicle firing rules. I'd make any weapon str 6 or less a defensive weapon and allow defensive weapons to target a different unit to any main weapons. Not a carte blanche 'they can target anything' but all main weapons target one unit and all defensive weapons target another. Also allow all weapons to fire if a vehicale has moved 6" or less (regardless of strength) and no weapons able to fire if moving when moving over this distance (fast vehicals get an additional 6 on this).
The new defence weapon rules made predators pointless. A simple fix would be up the str again to 5 or 6.

I'd change the leadership modifiers in combat and just have it as a lost combat equals a ld test rather than a modified leadership test.

I'd also skip the "you can see one model, therefore kill the guy behind the bunker" rule.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have to agree that vehicles don't need to be any more powerful than they are now, but at the same time, predators should all really be fast, like the Blood Angels ones. Non-fast predators are just aren't worth the heavy support slot the way they are now (maybe if they were fast attack).

The rule I'd definitely change is the wound allocation rules for units with multiple wound models. I'm speaking, of course, of the Ork nob trick that allows they to wound every nob in the unit before removing any as casualties, thanks to them having different equipment from each other. It just doesn't make any logical sense, and makes an already powerful unit RIDICULOUSLY powerful instead.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
destroy kill points, bring back victory points, whats the point making it easier to add up when most of the people I bump into in GW can't count higher than 3 anyway, may as well bring back a proper system for those of us who can count.

increase defense weapon str to 6 or 5 at least to actually turn tanks into tanks, not pillboxes.

LOS, I'm sorry but just because you can see my sgts finger does not mean you can kill my entire 10 man squad thank you very much yah twat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you had to change a single thing, KP need a fix but not changing back to VP as then the "but I made mypoints back!" crap will surface again. Rather you have to assign your KP or something. This is three-fold, you have to be able to identify what is a threat in your opponent's army to your army, what units are important to your opponent's army to suceeding in their mission (i.e. mobility? Ld bubbles? etc) and you have to kill it.

Obviously put a cap on how many KP one can choose (and KP denial armies suck anyway).

·
Registered
381 Posts
kill points cos if one army has 8 units and the other has 15 how the frick is that fair?

both armies should have to have an equal number of KP

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
kill points cos if one army has 8 units and the other has 15 how the frick is that fair?

both armies should have to have an equal number of KP
One army has 6 troops and the other has 2 how the frick is that fair!?!?!?

Both armies should have the same number of troops.

Aramoro

·
Registered
458 Posts
I used to hate TLoS (I know it was always in the 4th ed rulebook, but nobody used it), but then realised that 5th ed is about as balanced as 40k has ever been. Removing TLoS would significantly interfere with that balance. I've grown to not mind TLoS over time.

I like KPs in terms of their effect on army selection, but it's an awful mission. I would change all basic missions to be variations on objective grabs with KPs to decide objective draws. Still an issue for consideration, but not forcing 1/3 games to be massively boring.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used to hate TLoS (I know it was always in the 4th ed rulebook, but nobody used it), but then realised that 5th ed is about as balanced as 40k has ever been. Removing TLoS would significantly interfere with that balance. I've grown to not mind TLoS over time.

I like KPs in terms of their effect on army selection, but it's an awful mission. I would change all basic missions to be variations on objective grabs with KPs to decide objective draws. Still an issue for consideration, but not forcing 1/3 games to be massively boring.
Couldn't agree more with balance but I ahve to say, the most boring mission i C&C DoW with shooting oriented lists. Oh look, our objectives are about as far apart as they can get. Commence operation "tabling!" :p.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I think the Easiest way to keep KP's but to stay different to Victory points would be to have every 100pts a Kill point. that way a 5 man terminator unit with a land raider is worth 4-5 Kps depending on equipment. Also in a 1500pt game that's 15KP each...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts