Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd title I know, but in preparation for GD this year I was looking for ideas on how I would do and eye catching display base for a squad and I found this article where the guy was using a hand to make a display like this

The whole article is here: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/base-of-arkvenger.html

THe guy said he got the hand off of ebay, but just typing in 'plastic sculpted hand' doesn't get very good results as you can imagine - I don't necessarily want one which looks just like that, I'm just planning ideas at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whre I can find stuff like this?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mannquins! Of course!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
So, did you find it?

I'm wondering myself now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at using it for the display of a Deathwing terminator squad and I was looking around to see different sizes/ idea on how I could mount them and whether it would be possible to do on a hand

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You could always make a cast of your own. (ninja'ed!)

There was a fad in the 80's as well of having ceramic hands and faces etc that sat flat on a coffee table, kinda looked like someone trapped inside.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THanks for finding that Vulkan +rep to you sir. WIth the casting your own hand thing, does anyone have any good tutorials for doing this?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
You can buy casting kits for making molds of kids hands when they are little - maybe try these, but they will be only imprints.

For full hand casting try something like

Obviously you need to be very careful if casting both hands at the same time, get a friend ready to pull you out etc.

Molding materials are expensive and the mannequin option might be cheaper.

If you need molding materials and are in the UK then www.tomps.com are really good guys, cheap and helpful - might be worth giving them a call to see what they recommend, of check their site.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
As an alternate, and possibly less messy, display base idea, why not have the Deathwing "posing" on the foot/ankle of a shattered titan? Lots of flat surfaces to mount figures, and a great way of giving the finger to your favorite enemy...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts