Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hobby work has been at a stand still since July because I've got too much stuff working on three armies at once.

I'm trying to sell my Blood Angels locally and thinking of passing on my Grey Knights (though they represent my first real successful paint work) and I'm having a hard time parting with anything even though I know that moving them on will help me do more justice to the work that I keep.

How do you decide to, if ever, part with your work?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I find it mostly depends on how I relate to the models. At this point I mostly paint/convert/sculpt as opposed to game.

When I have sold models or armies in the past, I was either tired of the army or unhappy with my paint work. In those cases it wasn't too agonizing to let go.

There are a bunch of models I still wouldn't want to part with four sentimental reasons, e.g. I put a lot of work into them and I was really happy with how they turned out.

If you want to sell models, then try to think about them in terms of which ones won't give you much happiness or satisfaction in the future. Which ones won't be used again. Etc.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
When your divorced wife makes you.

Otherwise I would only get rid of them if you did not like the army anymore or where not happy with the paint job. Otherwise just put them away so if you want you can go back to them.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I sell an army when a new codex does not go in any of the directions I feel it should.

For example, I just sold 90% of my Tau minis because GW did not deliver on a viable all-stealth army option. I kept the XV25, Kroot, a minimum of Fire Warriors and Devilfishes plus a Sky Ray and Shadowsun, and am writing my own fandex for Tau.

Though I have kept my Tyranids despite every single codex being shit since 2nd edition, especially my favourite models (Raveners)

Since my local group is staying with 6th edition forever, my Dark Eldar army will possibly be the first army I never sell.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sell my army? Is this a trick question?

I mean... I sold my Necron Destroyers to a buddy because I needed to pay a bill a few months ago... but I never used them anyways...

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I don't think I would ever sell an army.

If I enjoyed the army at one point, but didn't currently, I would probably put it aside but never sell it. Who knows how I would enjoy it in the next edition or when I get tired of my current? It would well and truly suck to have worked on a army, sold it and then find yourself wanting to play it again a year later down the line.

But then again, I do have a very sentimental bond to my armies.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I have sold off a lot.

Mostly because I enjoy building and painting more than gaming. So when my collection reaches a certain point I have a bit of a cleansing sale.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I sell an army when I get bored of winning with them (i.e. Necrons), lose interest in the idea of the army (Typhus zombies) or simply need more money to buy other, shinier toys for the army I'm currently working on.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Usually to fund another army. I sold my 'crons to buy World Eaters and then I bought more 'crons because I missed them so much!

I'm in the spot I wanted now, though. Pure Immortals and no Warriors, where as with the old codex having 1 troop choice I had 60 Warriors.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
This is madness and heresy. Give this fool a good flogging!
Jokes apart, i'd say never. I do part from my work if I did that work with the intent of selling that from the beginning. Otherwise i'm the compulsive collector type of guy.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My hobby's rather small right now, so I haven't needed to sell them at all. I can't tell what the future will hold though, but who knows?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have sold off a number of unpainted models that I never planned on using, but I would never sell off an "army". Even if I grew bored of playing the army, they can be stored indefinitely until myself or a friend wants to use them again.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
ugh... I kind of want to sell of several armies off ATM, I just do not enjoy playing them currently (Truck + Battlewagon Boyz; "elite" Warrior/Shrike/Ravener heavy tyranids; SMs... because I do not like current play style...Although I will keep some of them and reform them into a smaller cooler army) and I do not think that the upcoming codexs for the armies with old ones will not allow the style I want to play to be competitive in any major way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts