Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title say when do you do it?

I wondering this because I want to know if it happens before you split the council or after you asign them to squads. This is done during deployment.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Currently RAW you roll powers after you split the council.

Here are the relevant rules (emphasis is mine):

Eldar Codex p. 95 "Before the battle, IMMEDIATELY after determining Warlord Traits, any Warlock in the Council may be split off from this unit and assigned to lead a different unit from the following list.."

BRB p. 424 (The Game Summary, these are the relevant steps):
">Players must now determine their Warlord Traits. Roll on one of the tables available to your Warlord (either from page 111 or one from their codex, if it has one).
>If either player has Psykers that generate random psychic powers, they generate them now."

Warlord traits, then psychic powers. The Eldar Codex inserts an additional step between the two (splitting council).

This may or may not get FAQ'd, but until that point unless your opponent agrees...split then generate.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Good news is that if you don't get a power you want the Primaris is always useful for the units and was a good choice by the dev team, especially since the units that the Warlocks can attach to are on the shootier side of the spectrum (being all Guardian units) than some of the other ones.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I'd be a bit surprised and a little disappointed if this does get changed by an Update.

The idea of rolling for powers is to drop some random elements into the game, allowing you to roll and then decide which squads a Spirit Seer is allocated too is eroding that randomness and giving the Eldar a unique advantage in that regard.

As it currently is it also stops you creating a Mega-council of seers that have one of each power or several of a particular one. A "Flamestorm Ambulance" for example of 6 Warlocks with Destructor/Renewer.

Sure it does make sense that an Autarch would divvy up his team based on ability but that could be messing with the balance of things.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Currently RAW you roll powers after you split the council.

Here are the relevant rules (emphasis is mine):

Eldar Codex p. 95 "Before the battle, IMMEDIATELY after determining Warlord Traits, any Warlock in the Council may be split off from this unit and assigned to lead a different unit from the following list.."

BRB p. 424 (The Game Summary, these are the relevant steps):
">Players must now determine their Warlord Traits. Roll on one of the tables available to your Warlord (either from page 111 or one from their codex, if it has one).
>If either player has Psykers that generate random psychic powers, they generate them now."

Warlord traits, then psychic powers. The Eldar Codex inserts an additional step between the two (splitting council).

This may or may not get FAQ'd, but until that point unless your opponent agrees...split then generate.

This strictly depends on your definition of "now." When do psykers generate their powers? While you are generating Warlord Traits. You don't leave the "Warlord Traits step" you do them in the "Warlord Traits step." RAW does not say to generate them AFTER, but to do it NOW (emphasis mine). The only thing that is stated to be done "after" Warlord Traits is splitting the warlocks. So, order of march is NOW then AFTER...in other words generate prior to splitting. So split then generate violates the RAW of doing them "Now" and changes it into "after."

But if it is FAQed then GW will likely make it so that you split the locks then roll for powers because randomly having a good army, or randomly having a bad army is such a positive thing for the game:victory:

But as said, best to state what you are doing when you are doing it.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
We should change the abbreviation for RAW to CBBRAR - Couldn't be bothered reading all rules.

Page 424 + is a sequential list of dot points showing the order in which things are done.
The "now" in the game summary for the dot point listed after the Warlord Traits, clearly shows that Psychic Powers come after Warlord Traits.
They are not determined while you are doing Warlord Traits. If you read it like that you're also saying that Warlord Traits are done while placing objectives which Page 121 clearly shows is bullshit.

The rule for Generating Psykers stipulates that rolling for powers is done before deployment. Page 418.

So clearly the Powers are rolled for, before Deployment and sometime after Warlord Traits.

We are directed to split the Warlocks off immediately after Warlord Traits. As immediately fixes in time when the action must happen it makes it pretty clear that they are split off before any powers are rolled.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Page 424 + is a sequential list of dot points showing the order in which things are done.

Bah...well that's what I get for depending on text quoted on the board and not waiting until I got back home. OK, lesson learned.

Inserting the split warlocks between the Warlord Traits "dot" and the Generate Psykers "dot" is understandable. However...

Sure it does make sense that an Autarch would divvy up his team based on ability...

... rolling powers after splitting locks up is completely stupid as it intentionally prevents an Eldar army that's running warlocks from having an actual warlord/general that knows anything about his army or how to run one. So instead of being able to field a warlord that has learned from studying ancient Eldar and battles long past, you get :crazy: running the show. *starts singing Sinatra's "luck be a lady tonight"*

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
... rolling powers after splitting locks up is completely stupid as it intentionally prevents an Eldar army that's running warlocks from having an actual warlord/general that knows anything about his army or how to run one. So instead of being able to field a warlord that has learned from studying ancient Eldar and battles long past, you get :crazy: running the show. *starts singing Sinatra's "luck be a lady tonight"*
For sure it doesn't really fit with the "fluff" but it does make for a better game IMO by taking out the power builds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For sure it doesn't really fit with the "fluff" but it does make for a better game IMO by taking out the power builds.
I can follow that. It will just be a little off balance until GW gets around to getting everyone on the "roll for who shows up to your battle" concept by updating the remaining codex with psychers in them. For example, until Rune Priests are also determined randomly, then they'll retain a superior footing/advantage over other psychers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i really see very few reasons to take a warlock.
A one wound dude who can get a power on 8 or less. not great. if your playing lots of guardian options or a bike army and want those spears and a chace at a bonus then great but if not why bother with them.

the power is going to fail a s fair a amount of the time, you don't know what your going to get until its to late to put them with the correct squad ( hopwever proper deployments etc and moving around at start can help you out) and now wraith guard etc can be troops just throw in a sprit seer which can help much more.

powers on a 9 is much better than on an 8 and ability to negate a wound should you get perils on the first roll is grand. only reason for warlocks is cheap spears at t4 and some mobility with it IMHO. but worth the points im not sure.

spiders are so much cheaper now so i would load up on those. they can really jump around the brd and S7 against I3 or lower ( tanks for example) and battle focus make these the new wonder unit of the dex for me. i take two squads and they make their points back and then some 70% of the time.

·
Registered
992 Posts
i really see very few reasons to take a warlock.
Just a few off the top of my head:
  • Conceal is a boss power for any unit the warlock will attach to, any other power is less generically useful...but all add value.
  • A Singing Spear adds valuable AT power to a unit like bikers or storm guardians
  • A Warlock adds a character to the unit who at the very least can delay enemy characters for a turn in CC, and stands a decent chance of killing single wound characters before they act.
  • 5+ Deny the Witch for basic troops
  • Precision shots with Singing Spears/Shuriken Pistols
  • A Bike council is still a nasty unit even if all they do is zoom around the board dropping maledictions, and don't underestimate a 5 man foot council with Farseer in a Falcon

Warlocks are a nice Sgt, they bring flexibility and protection to a squad, and someone has to run the quad gun when you drop your vaul's support battery behind an Aegis line, while providing the T7 artillery unit a 2+ cover save.

The ld 8 psyker complaint is overblown, although I have had Psychic rolls fail at inopportune times, ld 8 should (and anecdotally does) succeed most turns.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
[*]A Singing Spear adds valuable AT power to a unit like bikers
A Warlock splitting off from the squad changes his Unit Type to Infantry (Character), so he slows the Jetbike type units down a LOT :eek:k: But nobody will ever, ever play it like that, so you're good.

Midnight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts