Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I think Serpion has a solid point. I used to pick apart every piece of fluff I read and compare it to what I knew. Like it was a chemical reaction I had to piece together. So many mols of Space Marine power armor technology mixed with the correct amount of reverence a typical Imperial citizen should have for an Inquisitor...

It didn't work. It made me very unhappy with the (natural) inconsistencies of the universe. Now I read with a more open-mind, and I'm happier for it, generally.

I take these little hiccups in stride. Maybe the universe is a bit different from my own idea (or even its past).

Others have some serious nasty mistakes, but rather than sit on those mistakes I just ignore them and move on. No point in wasting time and energy fuming about something I can't change.

The really bad cases of authors trampling the fluff I just completely avoid nowadays. I'm happier for it, and I can still enjoy the rest of the WH40k universe.

I think it's sorta like stepping up to my "adult" fluff-hood from my adolescence. Where being "right" all the time takes the backseat to being happy, ya know?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Where being "right" all the time takes the backseat to being happy, ya know?
:goodpost: This is the key right here.

However, asking other to see the "light" side is a bit pretentious as it concludes it's something everyone should see as positive.
He's not pretentious, he's just saying it's fiction and easy to put the spin you want on things. I've said much the same thing, it's kinda the point of this thread. The people that are getting upset about this stuff are choosing to and choosing to be vocal about it to the extreme in some cases, which is good for them and doesn't matter much to me, but seeing it blasted all over the internet is what has made a lot of fans of the fluff stop caring about the conversation. It seems to me like less and less people are interested in GW's publicized backstories and look, now GW is updating rulebooks more frequently and BL is slipping in quality, content, and physical releases.

22 years ago when I got into this hobby there was no fluff to this extent, no Black Library, Horus Heresy series, none of that stuff. There was some great fan fiction and some terrible stuff, but I knew some key events and my imagination did the rest. Now I know a -ton- more about the background of the game and I like it even more. Sure some of the stories were written seemingly by some of those terrible authors of the internet I read as a child, but it's easy knowing the details to think of the story in a way that makes me happy. No more comparisons of how large a Space Marine is compared to a human or how the Primarch's were twice the size again, no repeated comments about how fast and quiet Marines are despite their size. It's really the exact same story, but now that there's 'sanctioned' additions my imagination has even more to work with.

Bad authors can't take that away from me.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
The fact that you like this fluff is obvious. However, asking other to see the "light" side is a bit pretentious as it concludes it's something everyone should see as positive.
Pretentious? It was my opinion and a suggestion. :laugh:

I think it's sorta like stepping up to my "adult" fluff-hood from my adolescence. Where being "right" all the time takes the backseat to being happy, ya know?
Exactly.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
never really cared for the fluff aspect, but then again when i started the fluff wasnt important and was very minimal, but that was rogue trader era, i quite enjoyed reading deathwing novel as it gave a reason for the colour change from black to bone which was interesting,the story of the craftworld eldar and the fall were again interesting but they were just something to pad out an issue of WD or in the years to come a Codex, but personally i would prefer photos of painted minis, colour schemes and photos of battles and skip the fluff apart from a little explination of what the model/codex entry is.

I think too many chaps take it a little too seriously and spend too much time on it, time they could be painting or playing or converting minis with parts purchased from me :so_happy:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I think too many chaps take it a little too seriously and spend too much time on it, time they could be painting or playing or converting minis with parts purchased from me
Pff. This part of the hobby is free. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am still very engaged with the fluff, I love it, but I only partake in the parts relating to the factions I like, and most specifically, the characters. I like Lysandar a lot, so I'm reading Mallodrax, etc.

This thread is kind of confusing.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I find it interesting that we have comments that the "Grimdark" died when Necrons and Tau were introduced, when for me it would be the complete opposite - 3rd Edition is the edition where the model range finally started catching up to the Grimdarkness of the fluff. Go back and look at 2nd Ed Orks. 2nd Ed Chaos. Some of the Guard. They look *ridiculous* to the point of comical. When Orks became BRUTAL in body and weaponry and Chaos lost their stupid obsession with circular horns... that's when we started getting Grimdark in spades.

Now the art and the fluff has always been in that place, but the models really didn't reflect it for a long time, imo.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Never really stopped caring about the universe, just the big picture. 40k from an individual or group perspective is still incredibly cool because events mean something at that level and stories can either progress or end depending on the results of those events. 40k from the larger, galaxy spanning perpective is a god awful unchanging cluster-fuck in which individual events have no meaning because, ultimately, Gilligan is never getting off the island. So I suppose I stopped caring about 40k as a whole when I finally got fed up with that knowledge and decided that I didn't care about the island, the ocean or whether or not Gilligan and friends would ever be rescued and instead decided to focused my attention on Mary Ann's ass. Because sometimes the beauty is in the little things.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts