Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point did you realize, you no longer cared about the 40k fluff??

This is more for the senior members, but I find that there is going to be a point in every fans life cycle where they just don't care about the fluff. We all still like 40k, but we no longer obsess about knowing every detail, or who could beat who, or even posting on a forum is too much work.

It's the nature of this fandom. There is nothing changing story wise, and even this forum, has the same posts today as it did when I signed up in 2010, just new authors.

So again when did you stop caring? Mine easily was after Know No Fear and First Heretic. I enjoyed the books and wanted to know more, but I stopped going to this forum heavily after those books. I found I didn't really care what others thought on this universe.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I stopped caring about wh40k fluff after necrons where retconned to use their former masters like pokemons into battle and where made cooperate in good faith with blood angels. The grimdark feeling just died there.
Also, the whole Tau turd that gw shove down our throat in a desperate attempt (at the time) to save a game from dying.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I stopped caring about wh40k fluff after necrons ... [and]... the whole Tau turd...
Necrons and Tau. When they were added in 3rd ed I checked out. They were stupid then and are stupid now. Anime market grab and Egyptianate undead-bots (e.g. pseudo space tomb kings) were unnecessary and lazy additions to the game world.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Information on a fictional universe is power....
If you break any activity to its constituent parts it's going to look stupid.

I enjoy the WH40k universe. I read a lot about it. I think about it.

It's no worse than sports nerds that memorize player stats and who won which championship in X year. If you enjoy it, do it. If not, then not.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I'm just not as invested as I was when I was a kid. I think the universe is still pretty cool, but there's this abstract concept of 40k that I have which the current publications don't quite reflect anymore.

...It's no worse than sports nerds that memorize player stats and who won which championship in X year. If you enjoy it, do it. If not, then not.
Absolutely true.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can take it or leave it. The fluff doesn't really matter to me, never has done. I barely even read the fluffy bits in the codex's.
I did read some of the HH novels, they hooked me back into 40k, but they got a bit boring after a while so I only read bits occasionally.

It isn't the most sophisticated Sc-Fi, there's much better out there, but it does satisfy my inner teenager when I get the urge to read it. It's full of unsophisticated heroes, and straightforward plot lines, like a Mills and Boon novel.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I am an easy enough going guy, takes a lot to push me into the red, but Angel Exterminatus was the last straw, if there is a hell for shit books that will be in its foundations. Im back to smoking my hobby dope rather than injecting

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
There are some things that have made me sneer, like the newer GK/Mordrak/ Draigo fluff, but more at the writers than the universe as a whole. I've enjoyed watching the universe evolve over the last 25 years or so, and will continue to keep up with it. I just wish they'd move it along at a slightly swifter pace.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I haven't stopped caring. But a lot of things have gone on that's made me a little less interested in following it a rigorously. And to be perfectly honest, a lot of that comes down to Ward. To me he ruined the fluff of the various Astartes chapters so much that it was almost irreparable. But it's nothing on what he did to the Grey Knights. The Knights always used to be this awesome force, not a lot on them, but what little was known was epic. Then Ward comes along, and I don't know, he just seemed to make so many different aspects of them that they somehow ended up losing what made them so unique and bad ass. Then came fucking Draigo.

Other than that though, nothing seems to be happening. Sure the defence of Baal might turn up eventually. But honestly we know the result of that before it starts. There's not a chance in this world that GW would ever kill the Blood Angels off. So in the event they do progress that, expect a healthy amount of Deus Ex Machina to resolve the issue. I doubt they'd even kill off a major character like Dante or Mephiston. Hell they killed Tycho off and he still appears in every codex.

Another turning point for me, was when the 13th Black Crusade campaign didn't end the way they wanted it to, so they just retconned it instead. That really rubbed against me in a bad way.

But yeah, I still follow it, I still care. I'm just a little more jaded about it all since Ward and don't follow it quite so religiously as before.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It goes round in circles GW seems to spend time & effort in creating an original setting for the history of a chapter or race & then a few years down the line suddenly decides that its not working & changes it but seems to not offer a real reason for doing so...

Yes the original Deathwing history from Space Hulk V1 showing them to be almost Native American was fresh & good to see, explained why they changed the armour to bone.
I kind of struggled to understand the original Blood Angels story where it seems that they lost almost all of the 1st company in a space hulk but never went into much detail.

Yes it did get a bit silly with the whole GK setting with the shennigans that occured, Tau were an oh so bandwagon attempt to grab some anime pie & the Necron changes were imo a good thing because it helped you to work out your own style for your force. We all blame Ward for the pants on head stories that appeared in the codex's but in the end someone had read them & classed them fine to proceed.

Sometimes yes characters do need to be bumped off to advance a story but as we know the time line has not advanced a whole lot in the 30+ yrs it has been around. I just read some of the fluff now as filler & its used to try & pique interest in units that don't normally see the light of day much, only if they don't buff them in the new codex (looking at banshees here).

The whole 13th black crusade was something that those of us who took part in it had great pride in because at the time we were moving the story along & because it didn't work out as wanted it gets dropped thats when I stopped caring

Reactions: darkreever

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
There is nothing changing story wise, and even this forum, has the same posts today as it did when I signed up in 2010, just new authors.
Except the 'recovery' and releasing of information that occurred between the Heresy and present time. There are ten thousand years of events that happened and we know of only a fraction, why do people insist we only push the present forward when theres so much left unknown?

Also, as far as this or any forum is concerned. Someone asking a question that was asked one month, year, or edition ago is nothing bad. It simply means that question has not been answered, or the answer eluded their grasp in a search.

I'd rather the question is asked and answered than left unspoken and someone goes on without the information and possibly doing something wrong.

!, wait, am I a senior member? or shouldn't I rather count the point where I started playing/reading?
The call for only 'senior' members to post is a bit dumb honestly. You could have been playing since rogue trader but only register on this forum today. The title under your name will say junior member, but your possible knowledge and insight could be invaluable. Same goes for someone who's been a member for five years, barely posts or interacts with the hobby, and now has the title of senior member.

And to be perfectly honest, a lot of that comes down to Ward.
I'm sorry but fucking no, stop whinging that Ward has ruined the background and fluff. Its not solely his call, and I'm sure he didn't write everything we didn't like. There are others involved, including those who have to agree with the changes made. He clearly isn't the only one responsible, and I doubt all the changes we dislike are all from him. (Are some? Yes. All? No.)

Another turning point for me, was when the 13th Black Crusade campaign didn't end the way they wanted it to, so they just retconned it instead. That really rubbed against me in a bad way.
They didn't really retcon it away because the result wasn't what they wanted. In fact, unless I am mistaken, they rather liked the outcome.

Fact is the outcome hasn't technically changed, it just hasn't happened yet (its about to, as opposed to just concluded.)

We all blame Ward for the pants on head stories that appeared in the codex's but in the end someone had read them & classed them fine to proceed.
Thank the gods, someone else who is actually saying this? Have a rep cookie.

as we know the time line has not advanced a whole lot in the 30+ yrs it has been around.
And again, lot of history that hasn't been covered even without moving forward.

The whole 13th black crusade was something that those of us who took part in it had great pride in because at the time we were moving the story along & because it didn't work out as wanted it gets dropped thats when I stopped caring
Again, unless I'm mistaken I believe GW liked the outcome.

I would have said the same thing until we saw how they've dealt with the WFB End Times series. They've proved they're willing to wield the axe, and hopefully that axe will be applied to 40k soon.
The problem here is that there are three possible endings to 40k: Chaos wins, Tyranids consume the galaxy, Necrons seal the warp and win. Fantasy really only had one outcome, chaos winning; the warhammer world had an open wound to the realm of chaos in the northern pole (with no way to close it.) And it was only a matter of time before the inhabitants of the warhammer world lost enough ground to chaos, the events of the End Times simply hastened that outcome.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Tau were an oh so bandwagon attempt to grab some anime pie
I've always heard this...but I never really got this. As an avid anime fan, I don't really see it in the Tau background, troops, or methodology.

Maybe the battlesuits, but those look just as similar--if not more so--to a Mech Warrior elemental suit than any sort of anime mecha.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm sorry but fucking no, stop whinging that Ward has ruined the background and fluff. Its not solely his call, and I'm sure he didn't write everything we didn't like. There are others involved, including those who have to agree with the changes made. He clearly isn't the only one responsible, and I doubt all the changes we dislike are all from him. (Are some? Yes. All? No.)
Fine, I'll blame them too. But the common denominator is Ward. Every single codex of his that I read was dog shit. So yeah, I am going to blame him. You put your name on it, you take the responsibility if it's shit, I'm sorry but that's life, happens in all walks of life. You see military chiefs or CEO's resigning all the time because of a big fuck up. Was it entirely their fault? Highly doubtful, but the point still stands. People can defend Ward all they want, but it's no coincidence that his codexes were the worst and the most negative opinions. So yeah I'm sorry but fucking no as well, I will keep blaming him, if I knew the rest of the team, they could get blamed too, but as I said, you stamp your name on the front, you better be damn certain what your producing isn't the biggest load of shite that GW has ever produced.

As for the Black Crusade, as far as I remember the fluff outcome they gave wasn't accurate to the campaign. Due to the disproportional amount of Space Marine, Eldar and Guard players, the Forces of Order curbstomped the shit out of Chaos to the point where the Crusade would have been a complete failure. Yet GW changed the fluff to show Chaos making a strong foothold in the Cadian system, killing Eldrad and now controlling the Cadian Gate, making the future waves easy access to go. Eldrad isn't dead now, the Cadian Gate is still in the Imperiums hands and the 13th Black Crusade is at the beginnings but Abaddon's forces already sound immensely more powerful than before. The Space Wolves 13th Company have vanished in all traces since the campaign as well.

I don't particularly care about moving forwards, sure it would be nice. But I'd be fine with more background between the Heresy and now. The wars for Armageddon were amazing and I want more like it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts