Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the fluff every craftworld has an Avatar. But if he dies does that mean that that craftworld now no longer has an Avatar. This would mean that basically every craftworld has lost their Avatar. Be it crushed by carnifixes to being killed by primarchs and chapter masters. Is there a way to bring them back like throwing thr remains into a furnace and molding a new one and then sacraficing another exarch or whatever. Never seen it mentioned. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance. :good:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think if the avatar really dies then it's game over for the craft world.

Or at least no more central heating.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I figured they had a Soulstone same as anyone else, which gets retrieved and placed in another statue/shell before being "plugged in" and awakened by the Young King.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
According to the fluff every craftworld has an Avatar. But if he dies does that mean that that craftworld now no longer has an Avatar. This would mean that basically every craftworld has lost their Avatar. Be it crushed by carnifixes to being killed by primarchs and chapter masters. Is there a way to bring them back like throwing thr remains into a furnace and molding a new one and then sacraficing another exarch or whatever. Never seen it mentioned. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance. :good:
"Even if destroyed, his essence reforms in the Craftworld's central chamber, so that he may return to continue the eternal struggle against those who oppose the Eldar."

Codex: Eldar (3rd Edition), pg. 8

Based on that, if the Craftworld itself is destroyed then the Eldar probably lose an additional opportunity to summon Khaine based on the total number of existing Craftworlds.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Well the Avatas essens are more like then C'tan shards. Don't know what would happen if two shards found their way to the same craftworld though.
I agree, this is what I assumed. I guess it would be helpful if we knew a little more about what he Eldar Gods were, or perhaps theres more in the new codex. But I thought there was an assumption they were Old Ones.

I remember a story in the Daemon Codex about an Avatar that was possessed by a Slaanesh Daemon. I wonder if this means that Avatars are essentially simply vessels for energy with a will to control.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yes! In non-war times the Avatar is simply a statuera of Wraithbone and Iron where as shard of Khaine rests. Never heard that a Deamon could take the place instead of a shard but it makes sense. Though how would the seers don't know?

I think it is intresting to think that the shards can unite once they find eachother. Making it possible for Khaine to be reborn once every craftworld except one is destroyed.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yes! In non-war times the Avatar is simply a statuera of Wraithbone and Iron where as shard of Khaine rests. Never heard that a Deamon could take the place instead of a shard but it makes sense. Though how would the seers don't know?

I think it is intresting to think that the shards can unite once they find eachother. Making it possible for Khaine to be reborn once every craftworld except one is destroyed.

Khaine, Ynead and the laughing god against chaos. Now that is A final battle to behold.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so it is possible for them to reincarnate. But does that mean if the corpse is destroyed that essence has no where to go. Like did the eldar build the husk and then you just insert the shard or is just one of a kind.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The shards found their way to the craftworlds by blind chance after being thrown from the Warp by Slaanesh. Now if an avatar is detroyed tha shard should be freed and may find its way back to the craftworld. Then ofcourse the eldar need to build it a new husk from wraithbone and Iron for it to Controle once more.

Edit: according to Codex Eldar 6th ed. The shards come to rest in the wraithbone vore of the Craftworlds. There they took root and grew into the avatar. I guess this process is repeated everytime an avatar is destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I'm not aware of much detail on the subject.

What I know is that the Avatar grows in the centre of each craftworld and begins to stir when war draws close. If it is destroyed in battle, it regrows in the same place.

I'm also pretty sure it falls to the seers to decide whether the Avatar is roused for battle or not.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm not aware of much detail on the subject.

What I know is that the Avatar grows in the centre of each craftworld and begins to stir when war draws close. If it is destroyed in battle, it regrows in the same place.

I'm also pretty sure it falls to the seers to decide whether the Avatar is roused for battle or not.

As I read the latest codex I don't see that the seers has anything to do with it. It is the exarchs that holds in the cermony that ultimatly awakens the avatar by the scrifice of the Young king.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Do craft worlds ever truly get destroyed? I thought that perhaps they could be purged up of all their life and perhaps shattered, but I thought the wraith bone would keep growing. If it is so, there is a potential fact that Avatar's always regrow or sleep in their lively or dead craft world.

I just thought so because in ADB's novel the Aurelian the craft world was shattered, but the Avatar was still alive, just crippled and unenergetic.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Do craft worlds ever truly get destroyed? I thought that perhaps they could be purged up of all their life and perhaps shattered, but I thought the wraith bone would keep growing. If it is so, there is a potential fact that Avatar's always regrow or sleep in their lively or dead craft world.

I just thought so because in ADB's novel the Aurelian the craft world was shattered, but the Avatar was still alive, just crippled and unenergetic.

Havn't red that book so I wasn't aware. I I have understood it wraithbone grow of the collective psych of the eldars. No eldar, nobgrowth. In Masque of Vyle a small Craftworld has been stripped o all wraithbone by Dark Eldar Pirates. It is not mentioned what happened to the Shard of Khaine if there was one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if the husk dies it's ok, but if the shard is destroyed = no Avatar.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
As I read the latest codex I don't see that the seers has anything to do with it. It is the exarchs that holds in the cermony that ultimatly awakens the avatar by the scrifice of the Young king.
An exarch is required to perform the sacrifice, but he is chosen by the seers and only when the seers decide the Avatar is needed.

This tradition is probably varied among craftworlds, but ultimately it is the seers who decide when the eldar go to war. Even the autarchs rarely act without their counsel.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
An exarch is required to perform the sacrifice, but he is chosen by the seers and only when the seers decide the Avatar is needed.

This tradition is probably varied among craftworlds, but ultimately it is the seers who decide when the eldar go to war. Even the autarchs rarely act without their counsel.

Yes I think I remember this from older codexes but in the latest, seers are not present t the ritual. Still they may tell the shrines that it is time to awaken the avatar but it is the exarch that elects the upon king according to the latest codex.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Yes I think I remember this from older codexes but in the latest, seers are not present t the ritual. Still they may tell the shrines that it is time to awaken the avatar but it is the exarch that elects the upon king according to the latest codex.
That's new then. A limited budget and price increases prevents me from simply buying up all the xenos codexes like I used to. :cray:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts