Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one ever got the perfect shot lined up and missed or massed so much firing at one target that refuses to die, as an example i recently played a game of apacalypse and managed to get my 2 firedragon squads with 3 fusion gun wielding squads of storm guardians in amongst an armoured column (just where they belong grabbing a bucket full of dice i then managed to glace a single leman russ and weapon destroy a hellhound both done by the guardians, one of the dragons squads got only a single hit from 5 inches away in a target the size of a battle tank, fortunately not a single one of these ork wannabees survived the return fire to no intensive retraining was required.
please someone have a story of worse bad luck to cheer me up

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try missing with all 355 shots in a round. If they weren't my dice, I would think that they were rigged or something. I mean, I SHOULD be hitting better than half the time (thanks to a combination of bs 3 and 4 models) but 355 shots without a single hit...

I'm kind of glad that it was a borrowed army and not my own.

·
Registered
599 Posts
only played 750 point games, but a tau commander once took 3 troop squads containing an auto cannono, las cannons and a bolter as well as an HQ choice with 2 plasmas worth and a leman russ of shooting for 3 rounds...the ame ended with him on the table and a plasma blew up. I hate 2+ save models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I once ran my Baal Predator forward into a Space Wolf players face, then realized that was a bad idea with two squads of Long Fangs w/Lascannons and Plasma Cannons aiming right at it. On my next turn I promptly moved the Baal Predator back. Yes, all that firepower didnt even scratch it. You think he was having an off night? :D

As for me, my worst shooting phase was probably while using plasma. I think I had two plasma weapons on the board and they both blew up in my face, killing one of them I think. My opponent started laughing as my hopes and dreams were shot out of the sky. That was the last time I used plasma for a longtime I believe. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I lost 3 of 4 Plasma Cannons in my Devastator Squad shooting at Ultramarine Terminators. My Plasma Cannon Dev Squad incinerates themselves with a statistically improbably high frequency in general come to think of it.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I've managed to have an entire game like this at a tournament. I didn't kill a single thing, just managed a couple of wounded suits and shaken skimmers.

It wasn't just the shooting that went wrong. My termies and drop pod scattered to where they couldn't fire, but could be hit by JSJ plasma and wiped out.

I was firing the whole time. I had a guy fire a lascannon on each of the 6 turns to no effect at all, and two predators firing at a hammerhead for several turns, till some crisis suits showed up and blew the sides off them. Fairly disappointing.

·
Mad Mek
313 Posts
Plenty of embarrasments, none on the large scale though.

An SoB Dominion squad jump out of their Immie, 1" from a talos... "Aaahh Haaa!!!!. 4 melta shots later......it hadn't even dried its hair! "Gulp"
I started calling them Missy-guns instead of Hissy-guns, from that moment (which was repeated often). As fully expected, the Talos then proceeded to slice n dice.

A routine occurence was always missing (1s n 2s only) with my TLLC Razorbacks.

2 squads (Devvies) of BAs and a DC at a DE raider, and it was the very last shot with the Chaplains bolt pistol that brought it down.

On the other hand, 3 point blank LC penetrations on a Trukk that were saved by the 5pt Armour plates (all 6s). The boyz had fun straight after that.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
my worst is any game with space marines, they just cannot pump out enough firepower, only a coupe of weeks ago did I go through 3 shooting phases, and only killed 3 enemies.

·
Registered
304 Posts
sent an entire 8-man Assault Jump pack squad with Chaplain at a single stealth suit. Managed to roll three ones for plasma pistols (2 in squad and one on chappy), failed all three armour saves, missed or failed to wound on any bolt pistols (he still hadn't taken a wound), charged, missed or failed to wound on ALL of my attacks, then had the single attack of the stealth suit kill my chappy.

worst.luck.ever.with.marines.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I watched my Tau friend shoot at a lone Chaplain with 2 broadsides at close range. 2 misses. 2 more form TL. NExt round Crozius Arcanum up his shiny metal tail pipe.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
shooting with 3000pts at 6 carnifexes and not causeing ONE FUCKING WOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
3 squads of imperial guardsmen firing lasguns and flamers at 5 Death Company Blood Angels. Roughly 80 shots? Killed 2 of them. Or what about the time the Leman Russ template scattered back onto me?

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Actually shooting 80 lasguns shot at a death company should give you about 1.5 wounds, so technically you did better than the average. :grin:

But for me worst shooting phase ever. Had 3 out of my 4 plasma gun IST kill themselves. Plasma cannon in my inquisitor squad over heat, reroll and still miss. Point blank inferno pistol into the back of tank rolling a one on the penetration chart. Same result with a melta torpedo on another tank.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Sob have 4 vehicles at the moment, 1 exorcist, 1 repressor, 1 immolator and 1 rhino. I lost every single one in a single turn of necrons firing at me and i lost 1/4 of the troops within when they tried to escape the wreckage.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't remember if it was a shooting phase, a saving throw, or what, but I had four 1s, ditto 2s, one 3 and a 4 our of a total 10. I also managed to fail 4 2+ armour saves for a terminator squad being attacked by a charging squad of Kroot.

What can I say? 52 attacks is a lot.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't remember if it was a shooting phase, a saving throw, or what, but I had four 1s, ditto 2s, one 3 and a 4 our of a total 10. I also managed to fail 4 2+ armour saves for a terminator squad being attacked by a charging squad of Kroot.

What can I say? 52 attacks is a lot.
I had an IG sniper make a SM tac squad run in close combat. 1 kill was enough to make him drop below 25%. They failed their leadership and ran away. It was beautiful. :victory:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well,space marines know no fear.

But my worst shooting was a combination of psychic powers and wounding rolls. Out of 7 Psychic powers(yes 7, I had Ahriman) i periled 4 with double 6s and 2 with double 1s and I got an 11 on another test. I lost all 3 of my aspiring Sorcerers, 1 wound on my slaanesh and 1 wound on Ahriman, (rolled a 2 and a 1).
And to hit with my 1ksons I got all hit out of 27 shots, and caused 2 wounds. and he passed his cover save.
Next turn, I had orks in my face like never before, but ahriman made it up by making a warboss into a spawn that killed his wierdboy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
set the stage....a squad of 5 Blood Angels moving toward a unit of Tau Fire Warriors, by the time they get into rapid fire range there is only one space marine left...Fire warriors steady them selves and unleash a staggering 24 shots. 16 of the shots hit the one lonely space marine, 12 of them wound, so far doing better than i should statistically.

not a single save roll under 3. not one. one space marine took 12 shots up the tail pipe and shrugged it off. and people complain about my railgun.

·
Registered
0 Posts
First game of Warhammer 40k ever back in 2nd Ed. Lascannon hit my Eldar Dreadnought, critical damage, exposed the soulstone, caused everyone of my Psykers Heads to explode.

Another 2nd Ed Game. One shot to my Rhino, blew it up, caused it to flip over onto my other rhino, causing a pen hit and blowing it up flipping it over killing every model in both Rhinos including my command squad.

For those of you that don't know 2nd ed, 2 squads with rhinos was roughtly 80% of your points, btw it was the first shot of the game, I had not even picked up the dice. Only time I have been annialted on the first turn before I had a chance to move my models.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
The funniest bad shooting phase that I've seen was when playing against a necron guy with my eldar. Take and hold with my wraithlord and his monolith going for the objective, so they were close together. The monolith fired its particle whip at the wraithlord, scattered 6", and annihilated itself. Bang.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts