Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this is quite a vital thing for most of us but never really gets any forum space....
so what is your board like? how big is it? whats it made from? were do you have it ? how do you store it? tell us about your game board. Not to interested in the scenery unless its sculpted on to the board.

I dont have a board as such, im lucky enough to have a huge extending dinning table which is rectangular and to have access to trade price gaming mats which i can roll up so storage is easy.
I have been considering the GW realm of battle board for something a little different or possibly some 2x2 flocked tiles that have elements sculpted into them, again for a change of pace.

So anyway im interested in what you use or play on, after all we all need a battlefield of some kind.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
so what is your board like?
currently nonexistant, prior board was a friend (falling out some time ago)
how big is it?
it was the length of a ping pong table
whats it made from?
a pooltable and a sheet of chipboard on top
were do you have it ?
in the guy's garage
how do you store it?
garage was storage so it sat there
tell us about your game board.
decent enough that we could play games on it
Me and another friend want to invest in our own table so we can actually have games again. Though if need be i have a pool table or a ping pong table i could use

Grish

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Half the board is Industrial - themed, other half is Admin/residential
w/ a Park (statues etc), and an open outskirts area. It also has properly marked Roads w/ Curbs, streetlights etc. The roads are wide enough that 2 LR's can pass each other. The Buildings (CoD mainly) are different sizes, and the main Manufactorum is 3' x 3' in size, with most of them been 3+ storeys high.

how big is it?
Two boards, both are 8' x 4.5' plus there's a 3' x 4.5' piece that connects the 2...forms a H.

whats it made from?
One of the large boards and the smaller one are made of Marine Ply base with Craft Board modular sections on top...the Buildings are glued to the Craft Board, but are built so the board can be set up in quite a few patterns. The Roads are seperate pieces that are usually placed in a zigzag so firing lanes are not full length from ege to edge...that would be too easy.

We also have one of the GW Gaming boards which is used for Fantasy.

were do you have it ?
Four of the regulars have homes with rooms big enough so they are moved around between the 4 on a regular basis.

how do you store it?
see above:biggrin:

We're quite lucky really that we have a sweet set-up...but it beats playing at GW, and my closest FLGS doesn't play 40k at all..it's all Fantasy or FOW.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It is a desert board, basically I covered it in sand and then spray painted it
how big is it?
Unfortunately rather small, only 3.5'x3.3'
whats it made from?
Wood and sand.
were do you have it ?
On my bedroom floor, but I move it out to the television room when I want to use it.
how do you store it?
I lay it down on my floor.
I then place on rocks, pillars and trees when I want to game.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
6'x4' made of 3 4x2' sections. 12mm mdf sheet.

how big is it?
6x4.

were do you have it ?
In my shed. It gets brought out for special occasions or when my club needs to borrow it.

how do you store it?
In a rack in the shed.

One side is painted with an urban road network (and the boards can be rotated around to change the layout slightly) the other is a desert board (coloured textured paint). Working on a 2nd set which will be a 6x4 snow and ice table with trenches and the other side will be a woodland themed one. My "hoth" and "Endor" playsets (my marines are Star Wars clone army themed).

My terrain is all modular and based to suit the tables. I have a mix of desert and cityfighting stuff at present with some scattered woods stands. Will be adding some "snowdrifts" (hills) and patches of ice (dangerous ground - they are sealed over crevasses).

[Please don't use red text-- that's for the staff!-TSoH] - noted.

My clubs have their own tables though. The Slayers have 19 6x4 tables (and terrain for them). I have enough terrain for 6 tables.

·
4,491 Posts
4 boards, each 6x4, plus a 5th 8x4 board.
Enough scenery to cover all boards.
Store them at our clubs venue which i manage.
Play there every weekend.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Desert

how big is it?
15' x10'

whats it made from?
Carpet

were do you have it ?
on the floor

how do you store it?
Tis the floor, kinda necessary to prevent me from falling into some other peeps living room

Too many cocked dice and it hates assault marines. When other people want to play we head to the flgs

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I have a load of 2'x2' square . I have had them for a while and they are starting to warp as bit now.

how big is it?
Lets see, I have some custom racks I store the boards in, and I have 3 racks with 8 boards per rack, plus maybe 6 extra boards. This gives me
60 square feet of playing area :)

whats it made from?
The boards made from MDF

were do you have it ?
I play on the dining room table, which can just about support a set of 6 baords (6x4 playing area)

how do you store it?
Stored in the garage and probably why they have warped

tell us about your game board.Getting on in agae now. I made this number of boards for a campaign, as we didnt have enough gaming boards for 5 games at the club. I made enough to make 5 6X4 tables. They onclude hills, roads, ruins, a canal and a river. There are also some woods. To be honest they have got beaten up over the years, and I tend to go to a differetn club who have pleanty of scenary so I dont tend to need them.

Like bits I am thinking of replacing the heavy MDF boards with high density polystyrene boards, one again with built in rivers and roads.
I will probably need to create some kind of base board for stability.

As for playing on them, they are pretty good, with a good compromise between looks and usability. I learnt a lot making them which will help when I do the new boards.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not a game board as such, it's the GW battle mat
how big is it?
the standard 6x4
whats it made from?
Havn't a clue (ask GW)
were do you have it ?
I just plonk it down on the dining room table when I want to have a game
how do you store it?
Fold it up after the game and then store it in a box in the garage
It's easy to store, looks good. no construction required, relatively cheap. No set features so easy to change the setting/scenery
That's pretty much a summary of what I use to play my games on. I do plan to make an actual board in the future :biggrin:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Locally, we've got around 20 tables-- we've got desert, temperate, ice, and wasteland tables, and terrain to make them all suitable for either 40k or Fantasy. We've got about 20 buildings made from the Imperial Sector kits, another two dozen or so other buildings, a ton of hills, loose trees, and the like; a bunch of more 'fantasy' oriented ruins, and a bunch of Fantasy buildings made from cardstock, which have held up surprisingly well.

All our tables are 6x4, although we could easily make 2' extensions from spare foam, I think.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
well i have a 4x4 board made from mdf heres a few pics of it

currently stored behind the settee, as for setting up, just drag the bioard out, wack it on the table, add scenery and your good to go, only draw back is due to its size you could probaly only play upto about 1200 pts of 40k, not sure about fantasy yet, it would suit my ogres, but any armys that use huge blocks of troops could be screwed.................lol
and i must admit ive been looking at the 2x2 poly baords as well, theres a nice range of em from here

http://totalsystemscenic.com/

·
Registered
151 Posts
Almost identical to Humakt, I have a set of 6 2' x 2' 12mm MDF boards (well a friend bought them but theyre at my place). Currently they're a work in progress though. 1 is painted brown rest are bare wood.

I like the Polystyrene idea and rana cross this site the other day www.craftfoam.co.uk
100mm sheets would guive plenty of depth for trenches, rives etc seems a bit expensive though. Cant seem to find this "pink" insulation foam anywhere - found out that its actuall extrruded polystyrene or "Styrofoam" though.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
have a scrouge around building sites for the pink foam, a friend of mine picked a load up a few years ago from a building site, and it was all left over bits

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
It's a Cities of Death Board with 11 or 13 buildings - black undercoat, then sprayed over with 2 different greys and blotch sprayed with a bit more black to represent old explosion marks

how big is it?
It's 5'x5' - reason being easily made into a 4'x4' board and is bigger than a 6'x4' board and doesn't have the long table edge and as it's a square makes it amazing for cities of death style dog fights

whats it made from?
12mm-15mm thick chip board bulidings are made of GW plastic and balsa wood

where do you have it?
I have it set up for play on my dining table or on the floor when there is no room on the table
how do you store it?
It is stored in halves in my closet behind my coats, the buildings and craters make up more than half of the linen closet

·
Registered
91 Posts
Browny desert board

how big is it?
6'x4'

whats it made from?
Made from from 4'x1.5' sheets of polystyrene. Not the nice pink stuff (couldn't find any of that) but bog standard polystyrene around 1.5" thick. It's holding up well though.

were do you have it?
I've got an attic room that doesn't get used for a lot else, so I've got two wallpapering tables (6x2 each) that the board lays on top of.

how do you store it?
The attic room has some storage space in the roof at the side, and the tables fold up and the board sections aren't that big so it fits away nicely.

tell us about your game board
Painted it with yellowy brown paint mixed with sand, drybrushed with cream paint (just cheap tester pots). Looks pretty good. I made some giant modular stepped hills out of the spare polystyrene and painted them the same, so there's a decent variety of setups.

Probably going to build another board though, I got a load of buildings so I need to come up with a layout and think of a way of storing giant pieces of building that don't stack nicely.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Mine's 4x4ft, not sure what wood it is underneath and then about 4 inches of Polystyrene on top, all painted matt grey. The scenery is a jungle temple covered in snow and lava in an abandoned city desert swamp. I'm not very consistent when it comes to theming terrain.

Midnight

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey dude , i've got the realm of battle gameboard and it is pretty awesome i've sanded the whole board but thats about it :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Large Smooth Wood Table That has room for each army to deploy out of bounds
how big is it?
8ft X 4ft we play 6x4 and use 1 foot on each side for each player
whats it made from?
High quality Particle Board from Lowes cost 30 bucks no cutting required it’s the stuff to make speaker boxes out of
were do you have it ?
in my den we use it for painting sessions too. Those base coats can be a real snooze.
how do you store it?
we leave it on two small fold out tables great for beer pong too.
Great for games but not realistic unless your playing in the desert.... lol

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I have a 6x4 (ish) table that I got from B&Q (British Hardware/Garden store) but not by buying the wood. I had a look round but the only 6' long sections they had were only 2' wide, which wasn't enough. So I described what I wanted to the sales dude and he says "Hang on..." and goes in the back and comes back with this 7' by 4.5' inch thick MDF and says "Will this do?" so I said "It's a little big..." and he said "I'll cut it down for you then, what size do you want?" and he brought it back as a 6x4 in 5 minutes. I asked him how much it was and he said "Well it's actually packaging for the shipments of timber we get, we're not supposed to sell it, but if you put a few quid in the charity box I'll just let you have it".

Hey presto, a 6x4 for £3!

I didn't have any interest in using textured paint or messing around with sand, so I went to a textile shop and looked for a nice material, and since we play 90% 40k, I got some grey material cut into a 6x4 rectangle and then just duct taped it around the edges of the table. Presto!

Moral of the story: You don't have to spend a lot of money to get decent wargaming supplies! Raid dumpsters! Go begging at your local landfill or industrial estate!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts