skaven
any of the elves
anything chaos
brettonians
my previous army was lizardmen

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you looking for the most powerful army as the title says? I would say that both high and dark elf's are very good in the new edition. Skaven are also be pretty good as-well with their ability to field a massive amount of infantry. I would suggest choosing an army through conversion painting and fluff opportunities rather than performance on the table top.

Skar

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Arguably none of the armies should be the best, they should all be balanced.

If the topics about what armies are easiest to play in 8th it would likely be Skaven H or D elves, dwarfs and chaos

So the best thats not in your list would probably be dwarves

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree, Dwarves have real potential but for my money I would say Ogres. Their army's overall power was trippled with the supporting attacks and being Monsterous Infantry.

Take a look here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=11500022a

Admittedly the lists GW comes up with are usually garbage but the reasoning on this one isn't bad.

Tomb Kings are showing whole new promise, they always did have interesting infantry and they are the only army that isn't limited in the magic phase by a bad roll for the winds of magic.

All that said I would avoid Wood Elves and Brettonia like the plague, the Wood Elf skirmishing got killed witht he nerf stick and Brett cavalry is all but garbage now. If they could bring big blocks it might be worth it but being limited to 15 to a unit is just dumb!

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
Yeah Wood Elf Skirmish gang tatcics got smashed to bits and with 360 arc of sight gone too it dulled elite units such as waywatchers a bit too much considering we have no armour and relied on the cover rules back in 7th. On top of this our stubborn ability with Eternal Guard has been taken up by just using lots though characters are still good in them as we can use them to count them as core. In saying this though Eternal Guard now pack a huge punch an can mass more attacks in CC than HE seaguard or whatever they are with less numbers, and glade guard just got nasty too with blocks of 20 or even 30 becoming popular and now have reason to take a musician or even full command

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Ogre's defiantely got some advantage with the new edition. The addition of 'Stomp' attacks, and that their second row can use its full attack potential being monsterous... you've got a real juggernaut of a unit with them.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Ogres got some bonusses with the new rules, which is plainly obvious. What isnt so obvious is that the core rules that ogres relied upon disappeared, and as such they stayed about the same. They get lots of bonus attacks, but have just about the lowest I in the game and their magic is essentially useless now. I think they'll stay what they've always been- able to kick the ass of some army builds, but certain armies will just smash them.
I dont really understand people saying that waywatchers got nerfed... sure they have to be a bit more formal about their formation but the march and shoot, and easier set up rules should help them... the rest of the WE however arent quite so lucky.

I recon the most powerful armies in 8th will be HE and SKaven... with probably the Skaven as the best. Units of slaves are basically unbreakable if they are anywhere near the general (and especially if they have BSB close by) and their magic and toxins are very useful. Big blocks of slaves are cheap and will last a long time.. and Skaven shooting can still target the enemy while the slaves keep them locked. HEs are very very useful now with their ASF (especially with the re-rolls to hit). The boost to magic has helped them too, especially when the HE have lots of protection from miscasts (not to mention Teclis) and the cheap powerhouses that are Caradryan and Korhil.

·
Registered
442 Posts
oh no brets limited 2 15 models a unit that is 4 ranks 4 steadfast breaking and stupid number of attacks due to the lance formation but daemons are pretty tasty all khorne just infantry and a few juggers

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
No. Ogres got a rank boost and the new magic items are quite useful but they're no better than orcs toughness wise and with the inability to get saves combined with low initiative means they will take a lot of hits long before you get a chance to kill stuff.
Any full strength infantry unit should be able to see off roughly equal points worth of ogre's.
Gnoblar tarpits and scrap launchers are a lot more useful than they were (but they are the least appealing models to assemble/paint) hopefully ogres will get a new book soon to address these problems but armies like Empire, skaven any elves even woodies will tear ogres a new one the only armies that find it harder are Dwarves (although their artillery will hurt more) and lizzies undead and possibly brettonian as they are all either low init or struggle to cause enough wound to make a difference.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If I want to make a nearly unbeatable broken armylist are ogres the way to go?
Hahahaha no way man. I can't believe this, you think ogres could be broken and want to find out what the best army is. My advice to you would be to go out and play the game a bit first and get some experience, then decide for your self

Skar

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then what army should I start I don't care about the look or feel of the army as long as it isn't horde (they take ages to pack away) I just want an incredibly broken list

·
Registered
68 Posts
Daemons are still pretty broken, but not as bad as they were, big units of Khorne bloodletters are just obscene, lead them with skulltaker for an extra dose of cheese

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No demons or chaos/elf army I play against them a lot and two of the same armies against each other is BORING!!!

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Well, saince you have said no hoard, no elf, no chaos and it must be a strong army I rather think you have completely run out of options. The only 2 I think that are left are dwarves and lizzies... the dwarven war machine of doom army will be a very tough nut to crack in 8th, but I dont really see the power of lizzies beyond then having just about the best ranked units throughout their army (sure chaos warriors are better then temple guard, but not by much... and then there are saurus and skink ranked units to back them up- although I cant remember the names of the big things that joins skinks to give them some combat power).

The dwarven list is basically the maximum number of the best warmachines filling all the special/rare choices... I think someone said you could get something like 17 war machines at 2k (6 bolt throwers, 3 cannons, 2 grudge throwers, 2 organ guns and anything else you have the points for). You can take so much power in the war machines and then back them up with thunderers and a few cheapish blocks of warriors as well as being able to shut down most people's magic phase... but whether armies can weather then storm of metal long enough to reach the dwarves is yet to be seen (and I recon it would be really boring to play- shoot.... shoot... shoot... shoot.... win/loss, repeat next game. No magic on either side, little combat and no manouvering).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I can stop enemy magic and shoot them to bits then I guess I might start dwarves does anyone have any broken armylists for dwarfs against 1+ and 3+ armour chaos

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
No demons or chaos/elf army I play against them a lot and two of the same armies against each other is BORING!!!
You want a broken army and list to go with it but you won't go elves have fun, yes dwarfs are good but a HE line up will break them nicely.

To me you seem to be a win at all costs and no fun person so I'm just going to suggest HE or DE and ignore you rejections as they are prety well broken along side of dwarfs. Second point look in the army lists for Dwarfs lists 8th ed only just came out don't expect every dwarf player on here to be a master already go play a game yourself!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm wondering about your motivation for having a 'broken' army. Winning isn't everything, surely the enjoyment of the game takes paramount. And believe me, any army played well can win games for you if thats your primary concern. Do you paint at all or just play?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I too an wondering about your motivation to get a 'broken army' what the deal with it. I find it confusing you haven't a clue about what is good and what is not but want to win at all cost. This hobby should be for fun and enjoyment not 'win at all costs'

Skar

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Frankly, if you want to win without using any tactics, which seems to be your goal here, you should just not try. If you want to try to make your opponents lose every time to you without a contest, and not have fun, then go ahead and ask them before the game and see how many takers you get.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts